Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WHAT'S THE WORST INJURY YOU HAVE GOTTEN FROM A CAR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Oct 8, 2021.

1. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You win.

Stogy, loudbang, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  2. Flipped my 29 Ford roadster, in a body cast for a year, broke my pelvis, back in 4 places, crushed and broke my ribs on the right side. Fixed the car with alot of help from Richard Ruth and his son. Still have it and drive it. Get up and go!

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

20180808_124257.jpg
    20180807_134444 (2).jpg
    Replaced the power steering control valve on this, reached through the steering wheel to start it. :eek:

4. got hit on a small motorcycle by a 65 Chevy Bel Air that was runnin about 60 mph, I was barely movin, I pulled out in front of him, that was 54 years ago, I'm lucky to be alive, only broke my leg between my knee and ankle,...never broke the skin!...at least the car was HAMB friendly. oh, and I got a ride to the hospital in a 55 Ford 2 door station wagon that was the fire chief's car, it would do 55 mph in second gear. (wish I had that wagon today)

5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have learned to plan where the cutoff wheel will end up after cutting a rubber exhaust mount. Twelve stitches and the VA doctor lady called me a dumbass.

20171026_132416.jpg

6. 2Blue2

2Blue2

This thread is very cringe worthy.
    The spine X-ray and hamburger shots are horrific.
    My sympathy to one and all.
    Dropped my T-10 on my face while bench pressing it in place, 17 stitches between my eyes on my forehead.
    Headache for weeks. Can still see the scar when I curl my brow.
    Still have the car 35 yrs later.

7. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

in my wallet the pain never goes away

bchctybob, Stogy, Fogger and 2 others like this.
  8. Paint

Paint

I remember as a kid my father doing the same thing on his 63 Impala ( which I still own ). Except it was my mom starting it with her hand through the steering wheel. I think he had the hoses reversed?

bchctybob, Stogy and 29StudeDude like this.
  9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This was replacing the control valve that was rebuilt and way out of adjustment.
    That was one of those knew better but didn't do better.

bchctybob, Stogy and 29StudeDude like this.
  10. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

OT car with supercharger hit WOT an the damn thing torque steered an my right arm went trough the wheel and yes it broke my damn arm

Tow Truck Tom, Stogy and 29StudeDude like this.
  11. Somebody hit me head on (not my fault) and I was laid up for 9 months. Every rib on my right side was broke and I had tissue damage on my right foot that lingered for over a year. Lost my job and the good thing was I ended up with a better one.

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Stogy and 29StudeDude like this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The centering adjustment on the control valve was off to one side and made the power steering system go to full power steering to one side and make the wheels go that direction when it has pressure from the pump.

14. Country Joe

Country Joe

Ok...let me tell you the worst pain I ever experienced working on a car. It just happened this morning. I was under the car changing a fuel filter. I clamped off the hoses and pulled off the filter I wasn't directly under the filter because I knew there would be some gas dripping. Well the small amount of gas did leak, ran down the frame and started to drip in my face. I turned my head and a drop or two of gas went in my ear canal! HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!

I never felt pain like it. Gas in eyes burns. Gas in mouth taste bad. Gas in ear? Never let it happen. It feels like an ice pick was plunged into my ear. Searing pain, disoriented, stumbling around the garage all the while the whole side of my head was throbbing like nothing I ever felt before. I made it into the house and washed and rinsed my ear for a while. about thirty minutes just to have it be a dull ache right now.
    I searched online to see if I was the only dummy to do this but, it seems I'm not the first.
    This has got to be the worst pain I ever inflicted on myself working on a car. Seriously, if I had to better describe the pain I would say have someone take a rubber mallet and smash it into your ear with much malice.

15. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Back in the 50's we were rear-ended by a 1957 Chevy wagon while we were stopped at a traffic light... Totaled my dad's 1950 Olds 98... He really loved that car.... He always regretted losing it....I got 40 stitches to the head from that deal....

Stogy likes this.
  16. jaracer

jaracer

Two black eyes with burst blood vessels, bruising in the shape of seat belts and shoulder harness, and a very bad case of sprint car arthritis.

17. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Just found this thread. I hope you can laugh!
    My first day in the gas station ( Carl's Gulf ), I was in fifth grade. Ended the night in the ER needing stitches and a finger splint.
    Over time more than my share of cuts and burns ( slow learner )
    The best tho came in '70 eleven years after the first. Woke up in hospital, asked the nurse what happened. She dropped her head and started out the door. Raising my voice I repeated the ask. Turning back she expressed her sorrow, that for 3 days I had been saying the same thing. They were not sure. I had been brought in by a friend with a cut and bruising on the back of my head and a cut across my ear.
    Recuperation took a week, two cases of Bud in bottles. As the memory of the day came slowly back, I could recall taking snow tires off of a '65 Buick, using a 'curb jack' to raise the pumpkin, and a cross bar to spin the nuts.
    The combo of being in a rush, and two beer lunch, led me to not consider what would happen. The jack was ancient, the release lever in the handle did not work.
    A screw driver was employed to release pressure at the cylinder.
    So its official I am a fuck up. Best part tho 4 days of hospital, doctors etc was $900!

Cosmo49 and Stogy like this.
  18. Ive been very lucky compared to some of you guys. A few weld burns,and a T bucket back tire that ran over my steel toe boot with out breaking anything. As a teen I was taking apart a 54 chevy front end that was out on the ground. I learned about springs under tension when I drove the pin out that holds the upper A arm to the king pin boss. I was sure the lower A arm had broke my leg it hurt so bad,but I walked it off. Lesson learned. Im 67 ,and still doing crazy stuff so I might yet come back with a stitches story.

Tow Truck Tom, bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Too many to list

Tow Truck Tom and Stogy like this.
  20. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Carried my wife off to a red eye flight and returning home to my garage, arms akimbo with a plan to straighten out the too messy garage. All is going well and making progress I decide to move a Saginaw 3 speed from it's 6 month occupation of prime work bench real estate to where it belongs on a shelf across the garage. I've sold and shipped these before so I am well aware of the 70 or so pounds of steel. There's good purchase in my grips and I am headed confidently through a maze of parts and projects that need to find new homes today. A sideways step and a regrip by balancing the transmission like a stork with one uplifted knee yields an imbalance and a pitch forward as the non-bent leg's foot is on a new angle and like in slow motion, my dance partner and I are pitching forward. I let go of the transmission and now with the unsprung weight I am pitching backwards. I land on my ass cushioned by a well placed piece of cut angle iron. On the floor and enjoying the first moments of pain I roll to my side and reach back for discovery. There's a hole in my second best bib coveralls in the region of gluteus maximus and it's wet. Now standing I drop trou to assess the damage. Cotton boxers and faithful coveralls have identical 'L' shaped holes with same dimensions as the bloody angle iron smiling innocently at me from the floor. I manage a few steps to my tool box with my clothing about my ankles to find my inspection mirrors to identify the insult. No joy. A dim bulb goes off in my good intentioned brain and I decide to take a picture with my phone. That can't be me! Slightly out of focus hairy dried prunes at a curious angle, weird creases and landscape I have never laid eyes on. I stop in horror wondering if I had sent the photo in the middle of a text with a friend this morning; all is well. Three more side steps still with my second favorite coveralls and now matching holed boxers about my ankles I arrive at the deep sink for antiseptic therapy. I lived to tell the tale. I never told my wife, she finds enough to laugh at me for my adventuresome ways.

21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ouch Thread...oooouuuch!!!...ouch, ouch...:eek:...I've missed out of alot it seems...thank 'F' for that!!

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  22. bchctybob

bchctybob

My self abuse has been pretty minor compared to most of you guys. In my twenties, doing custom headers on a ‘57 T-bird, I heated up the stuck headpipe nuts at the manifold. As soon as it started to show color it disappeared and ran down the inside of my long sleeve shirt burning flesh and sticking in a few spots. It was brass! Burned the hell out of my inner arm flesh but it healed.
    Years later my buddy Mike VV got a call. I said, “if I sound strange it’s because I just drilled a hole through my thumb and I feel faint. Bear with me while I compose myself enough to drive to the emergency room”. Brass again. I was drilling out a fitting for better flow and the drill grabbed and broke off. Somehow, the broken end, still in the drill press went through the padded part of my thumb and when pulled out it brought some inner meat with it. The triage nurse asked what was wrong so I took off the red shop towel and showed her. Oh my, come this way…. The Dr cleaned it, trimmed and tucked it back together and put in a few stitches. You’d never know it now.
    There’s others like that but like I said, lucky.

Stogy, Budget36 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  23. outagas1961

outagas1961

worked in body shop in the late 80's and was using a t shaped pull hook and body hammer to raise a dent. knew it was deep and would require alot of out pressure to get it to move so from my sitting position on a roller stool ( at about eyeball level) i proceeded to pull with all i had and then smacked the high spot next to the dent to drive it down. thats when the hook on the end of the pull tool decided it had had enough and broke off, which caused me to smash myself in the mouth with my own fist. this not only knocked me off the stool but also split my lip and knocked a front tooth loose, which i later had to pay to get a root canal to save at my own expense (no health insurance) never used one of those damned hooks again!

loudbang, Stogy, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

broke my left foot when a vette ran over it

Stogy and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  25. wallet-1.jpg This is by far the worst injury.......the cuts, bruises, scrapes are nothing (no stitches or broken bones from cars). I'm super careful or just dumb luck, I like my digits, eyes, limbs.......I need them later after I retire.

26. SS327

SS327

Various cuts, bruises, broken bones and spirits. Not to mention all the killed bank accounts and empty wallets. You’d think I’d have learned by now, nope! Not even hot slag rolling around in my ear canal was enough to learn me.

Stogy and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  27. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Some guys are good dancers, some not. Myself, I got to go slow and careful. These days I come in the house leaking blood ( arms legs ) ( not head or hands ) missus says 'what happened?' I says 'I dunno'.

Stogy likes this.
  28. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

I'm not really accident prone when I'm working on cars, I'm drawing a blank. I did watch a guy light his wedding ring up one time when he shorted his wrench and the battery. It wasn't pretty, the ring turned cherry red in the blink of an eye and he barely got the ring off while he still could. Needless to say he cooked his other fingers getting it off. No time for even the slightest hesitation.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  29. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Shirt sleeve caught in the Regal Lathe . 30:years as a machinist not one issue at home making hot rod parts , one slack moment . Always safety first . C0092A40-4CB8-45C0-B7D6-CD1EA043E3B5.jpeg

1oldtimer and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  30. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Priceless

Pain in or on limbs can be ignored. In your face OH NO.

Dude threw a left turn, I wound up underneath, with the bike. Bad limp 7 years.

The wax to protect you is no match for gas I guess. Thanks for bringing this up. I realize I missed this thread cause I was 8 weeks in hosp. Nurses thought I was done for. I kept telling them I am the Comeback Kid

Looking for the worst:eek: