Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the usual price to sandblast steel wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Bad Dad, Aug 30, 2011.

1. 1927Tudor

1927Tudor

Got one... also live in suburbia....

2. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

There's a guy in Gladstone, IL. that did 5 wheels for me about 4 years ago. $35 for ALL 5! Had to wait for a bigger job to be done so he could do them at the same time but it was only a day or two wait as he ALWAYS has bigger jobs. His blasting "booth" was big enough to get a large tractor in.

3. Chuckhole

Chuckhole
    BANNED
    from Montana

I was quoted $70 apiece up her in MT.

4. Just what I was going to say! I think I'd put em in my cabinet and charge myself 20 bucks a piece. Then when I add the five dollar profit = $25.00 per.

This IPhone app is the schiznizzle!

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Prices are gonna be all over the place.
    I used to use a big blasting/coating company but as they got bigger contracts it became harder and harder to get them to do stuff in a timely fashion.
    Finally, to get the little guy to go away, they raised their prices off the scale when they priced small jobs.
    Had to find somewhere else or win the Lottery!

The tank shop turned out to be a better deal for me...but of course they can't do frames or anything a whole lot bigger than a rearend housing etc.

Bottom line: Shop around...good deals are out there!

6. $25.00 each here is the going rate as well. My father inlaw does blasting and I still pay him as hes gotta pay his hands as well.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

To answer your question...yes, you are a cheapskate.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Thanks for the replies, guys. I would like to get a blaster and do them myself, but I only have a small compressor that would not be able to keep up. I am currently in the middle of doing the wire wheel and paint stripper thing. Looks like it will take about 4 beers per wheel to "git er done!" LOL :D

9. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

Thanks 3W Larry.
    I appreciate honesty......:p

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

glad to help :)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

trust me
    after you do them with stripper and a wire wheel, you will wish you paid to have them blasted, your time is worth just as much as the blasters
    you get a much better job, and less work for you.
    you know you can still drink the beer afterwards while staring at clean blasted metal? right?;)

12. Old&Low

Old&Low

$20 a wheel, more for wires
    If you don't mind waiting, some larger outfits will give you a good break if you leav'em there and 'background' blast them untill they're clean enough for a quick, comprehensive final blasting.

It's how I've done it in the past, and it works, as long as you're only doing small stuff and have plenty of time. If you plan on doing anything larger you'll need a large compressor and an area dedicated soley for blasting, far away from where you do any other ''clean room' work; engine building, painting, etc. It's hot, pain in the a** work.. I've got a pretty large cabinet I use for clean media blasting, and we're contemplating building a 'revetment' outside and using our old large compressor for blasting large crap, whole cars, frames, etc. I'm still not sure if it wouldn't be better to keep our regular sandblaster doing whole cars for $500 to $650 per car completely disassembled. If you put a value on your time, it generally works out cheaper in the long run. Bottom line on which way you go is based on weighing how much blasting you're going to do now vs the future and how much you want to spend in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011