Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the strangest car you've ever lusted after??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nik, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik

Nik

My neighbor came over the other day and as it always does, the subject of cars came up. He's on a mission to get one of those old suicide door Lincolns and was talking how much of an odd ball it was and he couldn't figure out why he liked them so much. So I got to thinking about some of the strange stuff that has graced my place at one time or another, from the old Divco milk truck I dragged home, to a mid engined V8 Corvair and all of the weird stuff in between. I'm presently going absolutely mad trying to talk myself out of finding an old dune buggy. I have no real reason to own one, and they're even less practical than the old tin I'm working on, but it's bordering on an obsession now and I might just have to pull the trigger on this NEED. I use to think I was weird for my old station wagon fetish, but even that has gone mainstream now. So what strange automobiles secretly turn your crank??

Nik

2. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I wanted a 1984 Ford Fairmont when it was brand new. I was only 16 years old and had a lot to learn.
    ~B

3. Mojo

Mojo

For me, certain cars just really look good... doesn't matter if it's a old wagon, or luxury car, or musclecar. Something about how the shapes come together when it's done right. I've always liked Newports from about 65-66, early corvairs, 60's and 70's era fiberglass kit cars.

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

5. Squablow

Squablow

I found myself really seriously checking out an '81 Pontiac Sunbird a couple months ago, it was a four banger/4 speed/rwd notchback coupe with 46K on the clock but needing a repaint for $500. I kept thinking this was a great deal and that it'd be easy enough to repaint it, but luckily it sold before I got the scratch together and I have since come to my senses. If the right diesel VW rabbit comes along, all bets are off.

As far as the strangest car I've ever owned goes, would have to be this '68 Avenger GT glass body unit. (see pics) I made a really nice profit on it and sold it about a week after I got it, but I regret selling it sometimes, it was pretty cool to look at.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. MUNTZ JET!!! Crosley Hot Shot, any Hudson product, etc..etc..etc.. oh yeah and I want to run a Dymaxion (Bucky Fullers car) at the lakes!

7. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

An original Austin Mini Cooper. Not that strange, except I'm 6'4" and 260lbs. Would look kinda funny gettin in and out.

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I ONLY lust for things VERY UN-NORMAL !!! :eek:

9. R-U-N-N-O-F-T

R-U-N-N-O-F-T
    from Missouri

Unimog

Attached Files:

10. the "eliterate"redneck

the "eliterate"redneck
    BANNED

MINE WAS A MGB OR THE BATMOBILE:cool:

11. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

1972 citroen maserati SM...
    [​IMG]

12. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

those things are fucking sweet! talk about utilitarian...

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

The strangest...

The Ford Transit Supervan 1

Its a English Ford Van with a GT40 Engine, Gearbox, and Suspension.

It was fast.
    ( untill they rolled it...)

14. Skobie

Skobie
    from Philly

Nah, too mainstream for me. ;) How about a Pinzgauer?

[​IMG]

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

Or a DAF/Oldsmobile...

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

Or a Anglia/Olds ( AKA Berpop...)

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I almost bought a international scout with a set back DZ 302 chevy and a 4-speed with an early olds rear end. it had a tilt front end. and the thing would actually do wheelies with slicks. it ran 13's.

ended up buying a straight axle 56 bel air that looked and sounded fast , but was a slug. prolly would have hurt myself in the scout. I was about 19...

the ugliest car I've ever owned would be my 61 dodge dart 2 door post. still got it. no one will buy it cuz it's too funny lookin.

18. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

At the moment I'm looking for this three wheeled areo car.

After you've spent your life diggin-up history's wierd machines it seems normal :)

Attached Files:

19. bcarlson

bcarlson

Have to be a BMW Isetta.

[​IMG]

Ben

20. metalshapes

metalshapes

Or these 2...

( The Manta Ray and the Reactor )

21. Manta Kit Car.

manta.jpg

22. metalshapes

metalshapes

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

I like Bikes too...

24. Dirk35

Dirk35

When I was about 8, my dad everhauled a Pantera Engine for a guy. In it was a Kit Kar Magazine (the Pantera was a real one). IT had a Esti Car kit you could buy the plans for, build the frame, and lay the body in fiberglass. I was so sure I would make that my 1st car ever and I could say I built it myself. The Mag went back with the car and I only ever gave it passing thoughts here and there.

It was probably actually a pretty ugly car, I was 8, what did I know.

25. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Citroen 4CV
    It was a phase.

26. VonXulu

VonXulu
    from Ventura Ca

[​IMG]Okay for real...... didn't we all.

27. studhud

studhud

1955 hudson rambler wagon otherwisse known as a Hash rambler!!
    LTR Dave

28. 39delux

39delux

In 1967 I found a Kutis Kraft roadster at a small used car lot in Speedway Indiana. It was like this one in the link but in not nearly as nice of condition. It had a 327 Chevy and 4 speed installed and was in well used condition. I tried to trade my '62 Impala comvertible for it but they wanted too much money. I ended up trading the Impala in for a new '67 442. I was probably better off buying a car with a top for a daily driver in Indiana anyway.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/8774_1955_kurtis_kraft_500m/photo_01.html

29. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Citröen SM

1956 Nash Rambler

Buick Vista-Cruiser (before that 70's show made it cool ; )

30. Bluto, Metalshapes I think I could sit around having a few cold ones with you guys and talk motorized mayhem for hours, you have some good eclectic taste!

Oh yeah and I still lust after a 250 Lusso Ferrari thanks to my dad runing me by teaching me the addictive joy of true speed in that car! Ummm any big engined American road racing special from the 50's, 60's. A GMC 302 powered rear engined belly tank, yeah I'd like that. I would love to run a Citron DS at the lakes too......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.