Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats the story on 42-47 Ford trucks. some say ugly some say pure art.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jazz1

jazz1

Not my truck but a 20 year build anc still not on the road,,needs the tail lights wired so maybe next year or the year after.....oh,, and now he thinks the exhaust is too loud....

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  2. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Thanks, 38fordpickup, I'll hang pedals with your help! I have two of those cars...
    I bought awesome '47 front end sheetmetal only to be told it was 3/4 ton. Damn. Found another 46 cab and chassis in the hills, have to bring it home.
    The problem with these trucks is that they came after the 40 Ford. Tough act to follow.

3. 1941coupe

1941coupe

my 1946 original 59AB flathead converted to 12v with altenator 68 ford torino rear, rust free and runs like a top:cool:

Attached Files:

4. mattlance13

mattlance13
    from california

thankyou alot of work, hopefully it will be road worthy by the end of summer

5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here's one way to fix the "ugly" grille - a push-off board:

USAC 02.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  6. Here's the 47 I picked up earlier this summer. Runs great, needs a little wiring and she'll be on the road...I just need to find the time to get that done!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

What great patina. Clear it to preserve and drive it.

8. Just wax her, keep her all waxy and put a roof over her head. Purest carnuaba wax. She sure is fine.

9. Yeah, I love the character is has. Here it is when I got it, been sitting since 91. All I did was wash it, needs a good coat of wax!

I do need a set of grill bars if anyone has any

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I like em so much that I'm in the process of swapping a 47 cab onto my dragster hauler:D,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

11. What frame is it on? think its gonna be a good fit with the fenders?

12. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

It's on an 89 Ford , as for the fenders ,I'm going to use a set of 1 1/2 ton fenders plus, I'm planning on welding in a V section running the lenght of them to widen the fenders if need be, , Tim Jones

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Found in Apr. '64 PHR.

020.jpg 018.jpg

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

Not that I consider the 42-47 grille ugly sometimes something different and pleasing turns up. The '46/47 Mercury truck grille is still at the top, Nostalgia Sids' 47 passenger graft and this one I found at Hot August Nights in Reno this year. .,[​IMG] , [​IMG]

15. Johnboy46

Johnboy46

Great to see your "new" truck Chris. I've still got your old one, and am still using and abusing it. Did the Hotrod Hayride again this year along with several other shows and weekenders, as well as driving it daily. In the six years I've had it I've done about 12,000mls. I hope you are proud of the compliments other HAMBers give it . That's why I'll never change it. It just sits RIGHT.

16. metalman

metalman

I always thought they were ugly, we had a couple (1 PU, 1 grain truck) on the farm as a kid, Dad must of sold them as they dissappeared but at the time I didn't care. Last January at Barrett-Jackson there was one that stop me in my tracks, something about it appealed to me, first time I liked one. Simple truck, stock except for a drop axle, chrome wheels and some goodies (duel carbs/ heads) on the motor. I guess I wasn't alone, it ended up be the talk of the auction when it hammered at 85K. Last weekend in Vegas they sold a bone stocker for 47K so I guess even ugly trucks have their place in the sun!

17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Its an aquired taste for a truck not so bad looking.

18. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Just brought my 47 pickup home today, took about 10 min. to get it running!! don't know what im going to do with it ?? It must be Chris's big sister, mine has a V/8 !! Chris

19. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

Here's one I built a while ago 429 c6 image.png

MO_JUNK likes this.
  20. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

heres mine
    [​IMG]
    been on the road 8 years and nearly 100,000 k's....the grille was only temporary when I built it..but I guess
    it will be there when I hand it over to my daughter

21. atch

atch

I never saw this thread before and I haven't read all the way through it. BUT...

There used to be one of these trucks that showed up at Good Guys Indy that had a Tornado drivetrain in the bed (thus; rear wheel drive). It was red and somehow it had the ugly cut off of it. Anyone know the truck or have a pic??? That truck ran HARD and looked good.

b-t-w; if this has been covered please disregard.

22. As far as I'm concerned, there are NO "ugly" old trucks of any make!
    Trucks have a purposeful, mean and brute stance that cars don't. I like that.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I was in high school in the early 70's, a guy had a 46 with a bonafide 327/365 hp Corvette engine in it along with a B&M 4 speed Hydro. It never was the greateet looking truck, even after it was freshly painted, but once you went for a ride in it; you tended to overlook such a trivial matter of aesthetics.

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  24. Hier

Hier
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, there are NO ugly trucks (before 4 headlights) for me. I like them all - some more than others.

Many years ago I was on my way home from work in a snowstorm and noticed a stray dog just sitting by the road. He had given up.
    I stopped and picked him up and took him home. When I got him cleaned up I thought "this is the ugliest dog I've ever seen". After a few days he was my best friend and he was the best dog I ever had. He was with me for over 17 years and I still miss him.
    I like everything - some more than others.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  25. A Minus

A Minus

I like the 57-60 & 61-66 trucks better but I would not say 42-47 is ugly.
    53-56 are the Ford trucks everyone loves that I have never cared much for

charleyw likes this.
  26. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've always thought that the guy who designed those trucks died before he finished the front end. The lines are nice on the rest of the truck but the grill area just doesn't match.

27. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I love them with unmolested front tin, but Sid's with the 47 car front clip is SWEET!

28. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

29. I had a lot of fun putting this one together, it went to a new owner in WA this past fall.
    Jailbar Evening.jpg

MO_JUNK and Hotrodmyk like this.