Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

The funny thing with this statement is that 99% of the HAMB Idolizes about 4~5 Guys from here on the West Coast as if they were Professional Car Guys & Builders when in FACT they do Little or NO work to there own cars.

Just cus you can post up a pic on the HAMB and talk a good game Don't meen your a Car Guy or Builder.

2. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i was at acr show and a guy had a late model el camino,its all done up with 22'' wheels and hes tellig everyone about the stroked engine or some shit, and i tell him i have an el camino for sale,a 80 model with a 267 motor and a factory 4 speed,ac,ps etc.kind of a rare car.
    the old man with the 22'' wheels tells me his el camino was a rare diesel model.he took all of that out to put in the stroker engine blaa blaa blaa..
    so i said,''really?,did you change the fuel gauge and the fuel fill,and the decal on the fuel door"?
    none of which said diesel..
    he says i took all that stuff off..
    hahahaha!

3. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

randydupree .........

You DO relize G-M DID make a Factory Diesel El Camino .... Right ?

4. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

hhahahahahahaha... I like the fact that every fast car ever made or mentioned is a MOPAR or a VETTE, except for the Diesel El-Camino....

5. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

My favorite is we were having an All-Ford Show at a local Ford dealership and the dealership had this urban type radio station show up...wrong demographic for this show anyway. The show was put on by the Mustang Club I belong too. So the one lady walks up to me all attitude and wants some information on the show...as she is snapping her gum in my face and talking like she has better things to do than this...asks me about the Mustangs. I tell her well its All Ford but we do have some Mustangs here. She points to a restored Model T that someone had brought and asked "Is that the oldest Mustang here?" I look at here and say "Yes, yes it is."

6. Ramblur

Ramblur

One that comes to mind is a story of a squirrel terrorizing a bunch of HAMBers
    at a Detroit Autorama party... :p

7. williebill

williebill

At a KKOA show a few years back ..sitting on a wall beside some dipshit trying to impress his girl with his wealth of knowledge on customs,watching the cars drive by...so far this guy's batting zero from what I can hear,but that's OK,he's probably gonna get laid that night...Merc drives by,body in paint,fresh chop in primer...guy sez that the roof is a fiberglass kit,all you have to do is glue it on...
    Shit..if I'd known it was that easy,all my stuff would be finished by now..

I asked the guy what that kit cost,and could I get one for my Caprice...He said they weren't too expensive,and yeah,they made them for Caprices,too..

Gotta get me one of those kits...

Mitchell de Moor likes this.
  8. uc4me

uc4me

I feel the AMC/Rambler pain...every year I get at least 4 or 5 people who try to tell me that my AMC V8 is really made by (insert any big 3 maker here) and that my cowl hood isn't factory...blah...blah and everyone's uncle seemed to own one....and....and....and

I usually let them go on and tell them I gotta go take a dump and hurry off....or thank them for setting me straight about the car that I have owned for almost 20 years...no wonder I have so many problems finding parts

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

We all recall things like we would like them to be, that's true. But, that's not my main problem from being an old timer. Even when I state facts from the day, somewhere is somebody re-writing history to fit today's bling. I also find that in every generation there are young punks that know it all already, don't want to really know how it really was, because if that happened..............then a run of the average '50s hot rod would be a coupe/roadster/pickup body (of any genere) cobbled onto a later model chassis and drive train found in a junk yard, selected because of the juice brakes, the smaller diamater wires or steelie wheels and because the motor had more power, plus it ran good. Then to support their opinion they spout Magazine articles from the day as gospel, when the great majority of those articles were made up and written for the sole purpose of trying to sell magazines.

twenty gallons and Hombre like this.
  10. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

i have a 350 with 454 pistons. and It has center bolt valve covers, its a vortec super charged from the factory.

11. One of my favorites was the kid here on the HAMB who told me I had it all wrong cuz he had some of the 'little' books and he'd read them.

I think that was during the invasion of the 14 year olds....

12. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Stopped to get gas on the way to Cumberland last year. Two young guys were looking at my car and the one asked " Is it original?" I didn't know how to answer that one, then his buddie chimed in " I know what i'd do with it" I said "what?" he said " I'd make a Rat Rod out of it!" I just left, didn't know how to respond. Guess I should be thankful that he didn't think it was a Rat Rod already.

Attached Files:

13. A couple of years ago at the F-100 Nats, I as walking around with my son looking at the trucks. We were standing in front of a friends very "restored" 55 with a 272 V-8 talking. Some idiot walking with a buddy looked at the engine and said, "That guys put a 312 in this one." I told him it was all stock and was in fact a 272. He said, "No buddy your wrong, that's too wide fur a 272; that's a 312".
    Yeah.....they walk among us.

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had a guy come in to the O'Reilly I worked at, asking about the monte carlo in the parking lot.
    It was mine, so we chatted a bit. He offered to buy it, asked how much. I said "I'll let it go for 4" He says deal, signs a deposit check for $100. It wasn't really for sale mind you, but I wasn't in love with it. Next day he comes back, we go look at it some more, and he pulls out 3 $100 bills. I start laughing. He says I thought we had a deal?

This car was an 86 SS, had a 377 stroker, Sportsmann heads, th400, clean interior, fresh tires, very respectable street car, should have run high 12s with interior removed and someone better than me tuning the holley.

Anyway, this guy got REALLY mad that I was "backing out". I handed him his check and explained there wasn't one part on the car I'd sell for $400.

15. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

I'm not sure this one is complete BS... But I'm still doubtfull...

The guy in the cube next to me has like a 04 Supra that he claims has 800HP at the rear wheels....

Now I can tell this thing is built, more so than your average ricer, but 800hp at the rear wheels?????

I'da been impressed if he told me it had 400hp at the rear wheels... The thing barely idles and sounds like 400 deep throated banshees... But 800 from that little 6 and through that drive-train just seems like a load of crap...

16. How about everytime you stop for gas, someone says " I know where there is one just like it for sale" or "I had (or know someone) who had one just like it" It allways turns out the car they are talking about is 10 years newer and not even the same make.

17. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Damn, I just shot Vernors ginger ale out my nose on that one!! You owe me a keyboard.

18. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

it can be done, but talk to your doctor first!!!;)

Chavezk21 likes this.
  19. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I could believe that, you can get a Supra well over 1,000 HP.

It wouldn't be a very fun daily, though. :D

20. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Don't forget the ever popular..."he put a $100 bill on the dash and NO ONE
    could reach up and pull it off...." Fill in the blanks for car; engine...etc.

21. hustlinhillbilly

hustlinhillbilly
    from ohio

Don't know how it was in your area, but back in the day, (around here anyway,) that was acceptable verbal shorthand for a Duntov 30/30 cam.

22. alumslot

alumslot

Was at a cruise night. My wife was talking to a guy he asked what kind of car it was she told him it was a "BUFORD" (that is what I call it). He said he had heard of it and it must sure be a RARE car. She told it was one of three he said he was glad he to see it. We all had a good laugh and my "rare" car.

23. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

1,000hp is somewhat easy in a supra...There's a 69? Camaro in Hot Rod that's got a Supra Sixer they claim 1,000hp...but thats on race fuel with the boost cranked up...I think it was like 500? on normal 89 or 91 with the boost turned down in the teens or twenties...pretty cool.

24. badger

badger

I was waiting in line at a local Auto Zone the other week when I heard one of the clerks say to a customer over the phone "what year is your Saturn? Oh, a 2001, those don't have crankshafts, I have the same year and mine doesn't have one". I laughed, but then I realized where I was.

25. phukinartie

phukinartie

I was at the nsra nats in spokane at the time i was thinking of painting my car a copper color so put dp 90 on it with the copper tint, some wax rep came up and told me to bring my car to his booth and he could bring my shine back with his new wax product...I really didn't have the heart to tell him it was primer

26. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

At just about every show I go to at least once a day someone will walk up to me and say " I know you have your truck listed as (year) but it isn't
    ". "They didn't/did have wing glass in that year Chevy truck".

I just wonder if they even noticed the V-8, auto, a/c, tilt wheel, etc that wasn't avaliable either....................:eek:

27. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I just usually nod and say "really or I did not know that "
    If it makes them feel better why not , life's too short anyway.
    If their happy, I'm happy.

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I do like the guys who have wheelie bars and/or a parachute, but couldn't pull the front wheels if he had a floor-jack and wouldn't go fast enough to use a chute in his dreams. But, damn...the boneheads love it.

29. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Somewhere there was a picture of a guy with a front wheel drive honda with a wheele bar on the back... I think it was a joke... At least I hope it was.

30. At a local cruise night, a guy showed up with his Monte Carlo on a trailer. Never took it off, even for the poker run, which he gleefully participated in, Chevy in tow. While not a claim...it was absurd.