Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the dumbest thing you've heard at a parts store?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratticis, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

I asked for a ignition switch and the girl brought me a fuse box...

2. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

So if you had a '65 Ford, you'd try to get parts at a Ford dealership?

3. sinistersuede

sinistersuede
    from Missouri

4. blown240

blown240
    from So-cal

I asked for a radiator cap for my 51 chevy. They didnt have it. So I asked for a radiator cap for ANY car built before 1980 and they still couldnt find a part number. This was at Oriley's.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I walked in and asked for wax and grease remover and i swear i heard crickets. Luckily an old timer walked out from the back shaking his head and handed it to me after a while.

6. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

Guy In front of me holding two different vent visors: Can you tell me witch one of these is for a 05 Ford F150 4dr.

Kid behind the counter: typing typing typing typing... What size motor?

Guy in front of me holding two different vent visors: Stairs at kid for a second. Sets visors down. Walks out of store.

7. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

now this was neither from me or the parts guy at my old checkers but its was still funny i bought new front rotors and pads for my 01 silverado and we were wrapping up the sale when he reminds me you know to remove the oil off the rotors that keeps them from rusting right and i reply yes when another customer in line an older gentlemen in his 60s replys YOU CAN USE WD-40 TO CLEAN THOSE ROTORS KID we both looked at him and walked to the cash register and the parts guy looks at me and says did he really just say? yep!

8. Probably not, but the computer program not only requires these variables or questions to be answered in order to get the part # It also tracks info. You want the part, you need to make the computer happy. Unsatisfied computer= no part #s.
    Most dealers want the vin#.

9. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Yup, to order a part at a dealership, even a common one to all models usually requires a vin. Of course, a good parts guy can work his around all that bs, but they are few and far between. The people who write all that code don't know jack about cars or car parts.

10. been there i showed up asked for some blinker fluid and a flux capaciter for a 51 merc i was smileing till she started looking for it.

11. kevo

kevo
    from Keller, TX

lol, I like to send people links to this site when they start mentioning stuff like that... usually buys me a little more time to screw with them before they realize it's all fake...
    http://kalecoauto.com/

12. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

In the early 90s when I was a tech in a Toyota garage I also worked part time in an auto parts store to keep me busy in the evenings.

The better ones I had heard were.

* Need filters for Pontiac GOOLE...after asking the customer several times what he meant I looked at his car in the lot. Pontiac 6000LE

* Customer asked for a set of spark plugs for a red truck....I asked what make and size of engine but they didn't know. The truck wasn't there to look at and she said she couldn't go home empty handed and her husband was waiting on these plugs....sent her home with a set of sbc plugs and hoped for the best.......To my knowledge she never came back so they were either right or her husband thought I was a total moran and went somewhere else.

The computer system at that time had a glitch, it said they carried an upper radiator hose for a 1969 VW bug. The crazier thing is it was in stock, pretty dusty but it was there

13. derpr

derpr

ok, heres a good one. I'm getting a rear seal for a for 9". So I say real seal 60 thunderbird. The manger at the time had to come help the new guy, he goes it the back to get the seal, then she say where do you live? I told her and she said oh there a thunderbird over here. and I said no I have a 40 ford. shes like but that seal won't fit a 40, why are didn't you say that in the 1st place.

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Orielly's lists a flux capacitor, in fact they show both versions. unfortunatly it only fits a delorean and they are both on backorder.:D

15. maverickman514

maverickman514

when I had my 72 Maverick:

" I need upper and lower ball joints for a 75 Maverick (control arms and spindles were out of a 75)"
    " OK give me just a second here.........(a minute later) Maverick was made by Dodge, right?"

I walked out the door without another word

16. The stupidest things I've heard are the constant barrage of lies from people posting here about their alleged experiences at the parts store. 710 caps, Pontiac GOOLE, spark plugs for a red truck, flux capacitors, bla, bla, bla. Old urban myths that are older than most of the liars claiming that it happened to them.
    As I posted a while back, this thread would be about three pages long if it weren't for the bullshit stories about acne encrusted or female counter help or why does he/she need to know the year or engine size to get my part. Pay attention here, for the hundredth time, THE COMPUTER HAS TO KNOW, IN ORDER TO FIND A PART NUMBER, DUMBSHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're so effin' smart, supply zit face with the number yourself.
    Yeah, right Maverickman. It's too hard for a big car guy like yourself to just utter one word, "Ford" and, maybe get your part without having to drive around to another store. You sure showed them, They'll be telling their grandkids about the day "MAVERICKMAN" strode into the store and made fools of them all with his quick wit and surly attitude. Why didn't you just flash that stupid tat?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Orielly's part # 121G gets you the original flux capacitor,, 121GMF gets you the garbage disposal version.

I tried to order one but for some reason it was not available.

18. Paul B

Paul B

What's a small block chevy?

19. RichG

RichG

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Well at least your profile is filled out accurately...

About Carl La Fong <dl class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Location</dt><dd>Sunny SoCal</dd><dt class="shade">Occupation</dt><dd>Bitter, opinionated, self absorbed prick</dd><dt class="shade">Cars</dt><dd>Nothing at this time, but looking. Mostly into bikes right now</dd><dt class="shade">Biography</dt><dd>Just a disgruntled 63 year old kid that wishes he had all the lost cars of his youth back again</dd></dl>
    :D:D:D

21. and I forgot to add, "Generally Correct" ;)

22. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

Well said Zman, Dork doesn't even have a rod.

23. B9

B9

&#8220;I need that thing that goes on the engine&#8221;
    What kind of thing? What does it do?
    &#8220;I don&#8217;t know what you call it but it&#8217;s leaking&#8221;
    What&#8217;s is leaking? Air, water, oil?
    &#8220;I don&#8217;t know what the stuff is&#8221;
    What year and make do you have?
    &#8220;1972 Ford&#8221;
    What model?
    &#8220;Oldsmobile&#8221;
    Oldsmobile is a different make not a Ford model.
    &#8220;Well it&#8217;s blue. Aren&#8217;t all blue cars ford?&#8221;
    No. Do you have it with you now?
    No. (Huff/sigh) Forget it. I will just go somewhere else where they know what I am talking about.

I am and have been on the other side of the counter for over 25 years and have heard a lot of crap from people on both sides.

24. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

WD 40 (Water Displacement #40') can be used for a lot of stuff,
    WD-40's formula is a trade secret. The product is not patented to avoid completely disclosing its ingredients.[2] [3]WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits &#8211; primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
    25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
    15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
    10-%: Inert ingredients
    The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety-relevant ingredients:

60&#8211;80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated
    1&#8211;5%: Carbon dioxide
    It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the key ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[4] However, the WD-40 web site states that it is a petroleum based product. [5][6]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  25. busguy71

busguy71

I use NAPA, I always search the part # online, reserve the part online, and just hand them the computer print-out when I go to pick it up. Problem solved, and I always know when the have it in stock:cool:

26. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

"Welcome to AutoZone"

27. Dork has no rod NOW, Kawboy Faggot. I've had, raced wrecked, modified, bought, sold, ruined, cut up, driven and seen more stuff in 63 years than all of the Hot Wheels you've got in your bedroom

28. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

Nothing about the VW bug upper radiator hose ??

Probably wouldn't like the time a neighbor came over to have me look at his brakes. He couldn't understand why his brakes were still squeeking after he put anti squeek on them.

He used WD-40 because it eliminates squeeks

29. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

so in other words you would use oil to clean off the oil on new brake parts are you the old man that was standing behind me that day:confused:
    and yes i know wd-40 can be used to clean things but not brakes!

30. bab59

bab59

Good for a laugh!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.