Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the difference 49-51 fords???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Jan 20, 2010.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

I did a search and couldnt really find much on the differences of 49, 50 and 51 ford shoeboxes. I know theres a sedan and a coupe and I know there is changes in the grilles. But what are the changes between the 3 yrs. THanks for the help in advance.....

2. Among other things, the 49-50 had exposed chrome trunk hinges. By '51 they were hidden inside the lid, looked a little cleaner. The coupe/ sedan thing has been covered here before. '51 was first yr. for an automatic.

3. Easist way to tell is in the grill. There are other differences in the steering wheel, trunk hinges, etc. but the grill is the easiest way to tell a stock 49,50,51

Grill on the 49 has no parking lights and has a center bullet with the half circle in the hood

50 also has the center bullet and half circle, but also has chrome parking lights

And the 51 is the only one without the center bullet and half circle. So no brainer on that one.

4. madpole

madpole

exposed gas cap on '49. trunk hinges, grilles, tail lights on the '51 trunk handles are different.

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

a 51 transmission will not fit in a 49-50. found that out the hard way.
    headlight rings changed in 51 also.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

7. True hardtop, Victoria, appeared in '51, built from a convertible body to compete with Chevy's hardtop.

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Door handles on a 49 the whole handle pulls out instead of a push button. The strikers and door latches are different. Best way to tell a stripped 49 door from a 50-51 is the door handle hole is square instead of round.
    Trunk handles and license plate surround is different.
    Horn button, grill, trunk hinges, gas cap, bumpers have no outer braces. Some later models have the fifty outer brace. Hood ornament is different and the 51 was the first year with automatic trans so the 51 firewall has a larger opening for the trans.
    Also the center ring part of the grill is deeper on a 49 than the 50.
    Theres probably more once I start working on my 49 that will come to mind.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The Aussies and Kiwis refer to 49-50 as single-spinners and 51 as twin spinners referencing the single bullet and dual bullets in the grilles.

49-50 have the cat's eye taillamps which bulge slightly to the outside of the quarter panel with a tapered bulge in the quarter running forward.
    51 has a chrome-spear running forward from the wider taillamp housing covering the bulge in the quarter. The taillamp lens is plastic, wider and thicker than the 49-50 glass ones, and has a pointed cone stocking out at each end.

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

DEVIL...also the dash and taillights are different in the 51 ford...POP.

11. 49 has the letters FORD just above the spinner. 50 has the Ford medallion just above the spinner.

12. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

49 and 51 have diffrent floor than 51 have
    the hood hinges on 49 is not same as 50 and 51
    51 have diffrent rear springs

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

Saw this a while back and grabbed it. Sorry I can't give credit...

Attached Files:

14. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Thanks so much....the hamb is like instant information no matter the question. Is any of the 3 years "better" to make a custom or is it all preference??? Didnt know if any were the "duckling"

15. Hell no. All of them look great as kustoms. However even though I love my 50 I would prefer a 51. Nose end just looks so much better to me on those. Just personal preference

16. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

17. chop32

chop32

The '49 does have parking lites...they are arrow head shaped and at the ends of the grille bar,
    while the '50 parking lites have stainless (or chrome) surrounds that wrap around the fronts of the fenders.
    '49 trunk hinges are more of a pointed art deco style, while the '50's are boxier in shape.

18. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

I said 3 years in regards to the 49 50 or 51...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  19. I can't believe nobody took this opportunity to post up some pictures of their '49, '50 or '51...you know, just for reference.:)

20. 50 differences between the 49 and 50 and probably that many changes between the 50 and 51. All the important shit like hinges, latches, etc were constantly changing. Bumper irons were different from year to year as well as bumpers. The best mechanically was the 51 as they had 3 years to get the car right. It also had hidden trunk hinges. Not the prettiest front end in my book, but the one I would use to build a shoebox on. A 49-50 nose will bolt rite on. I am not a big fan of the dash in the 51 but again a 49 or 50 will bolt rite in. I used a 51 Ford coupe as a starting platform and put a 50 Meteor nose on it and 50 bumpers and a 49 dash. Pat.

[​IMG]

21. thesupersized

thesupersized

just curious, could you see pluto with the side mirror???? ;)

22. chop32

chop32

Here is my '49 Coupe...with '51 bumpers, grille opening and hood...the only parts left that are visibly from a '49 are the trunk hinges

Attached Files:

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Well, OK, here's my bitsa: it's a '51 Victoria, but with all the trim (grille, headlights, tailllights, side trim, deck handle, bumpers, dash) from a '50, 'cause I like them better. So it's a fake '50 -- except for a '49 hood ornament and dash knobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

'49 and '50 had a push button to start.
    '51 had the start in the key switch.
    Go to http://www.carnut.com/ and see the differences.
    50FRAUD has the nicest one in the world.

25. Fenders

Fenders

Here's a nice tail light treatment I saw at Pomona........

Attached Files:

26. chop32

chop32

50FRAUD,
    I was all over your car at the West Coast Nationals (I think) a few years ago. While I knew that Ford only made a Vicky in this body style in 1951, you still had me second guessing myself, thinking Canadian or?? Then, on my 2nd or 3rd trip back to the car, I read the license plate!
    Beautiful job!

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud