Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the deal with TITLES???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shoebox72, Feb 28, 2005.

1. shoebox72

shoebox72

The reason I ask is that I've seen in the classifieds titles for sale & wanted.
    I'm just wondering whats involved with using a bought title to register a car. obviously the numbers don't jive but i may be missing some loophole.
    I've got some old titles I'd like to sell but I don't want to screw anyone either. They've all got the owners sig on the back & nothing else filled out. Any info would be helpful.

Billy

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

We're both lucky living in Connecticut where titles are not needed after a car is 8 or 10 years old (not sure of the exact number), but in some states they need them. Ask around you may be able to tune those titles into car funds.

3. shoebox72

shoebox72

Yea, I want to drum up some car funds but I didn't want to list them in the classifieds if there was something I was missing in regards to selling them.

Billy

4. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

In the State of Washington its a felony to tamper with the VIN on a car. I'd sell them as collectable documents if they were mine.

5. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

This is great news. I'm trying to relocate to CT and I was under the impression that NH was the only state that did this. How would CT handle a car that was built out of scrap in a garage? Would you need to find a VIN plate to register it? Sorry to hijack, just curious. PM me if you like.

6. shoebox72

shoebox72

OK due to PM overload I'll tell you the oldest I have is 36 ford. I'll put in classifieds later.

Billy

7. how much do you need for all your `36 ford titles?

8. George

George

Unless something has changed recently,Alabama is a no title state for pre 7(4?) cars.

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I believe New York is one as well. Seems the "registration" tranfers to new owner. No title involved.

10. Shoe
    those titles are for collectors to hang on the wall it is against the law to sell a title everyone knows that. ;) Its just common knowlege on the HAMB that those titles would be used for that purpose.

that said on a later car obviously a title complete with the vin tag for display purposes is worth far more than just the paper alone. Some guys on the earlier cars have been known to stamp the vin number on the chassis in an appropriate spot for when they are showing their car along with their display information.

Then there are the titles that use the same number as the motor, those are a little trickey as most engines on say a 70 or 80 year old car have been changed.

Now I said all that to say this, I'm collecting stuff for display purposes only for a '23 Dodge Bros Coupe.

11. shoebox72

shoebox72

Of course collect & display only. ;) Maybe they'll take the place of crybaby dolls. :D

Billy

12. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

in New Jersey you need a tracing of the vin# plate or id # along with either a transferable registration or tittle from another state to get a car regeistered.

13. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

damn, that's the most laid back state dmv i've ever heard of... awesome.

14. snortonnorton

snortonnorton
    from Florida

one trick that i don't agree has to do with chopper/bobber projects.

selling a frame with a titled neck, then they chop the neck of and build or use another frame and put that on there.

guess with a car the equivalent would be taking the vin plate on an engine block or dash and putting it on another car. about as illegal as you can get......