Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's the correct brake bleeding sequence for GM master with bleeders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Gersic, May 7, 2017.

1. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes. Most/all disc/disc masters have large reservoirs that look about equal in size.

2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

And, in the end, the bleed out was fine, the problem was mechanical. Here's the final solution:

[​IMG]

GM master cylinders of this vintage have two different pistons. One, for manual brakes, has a deep hole for the pushrod. The other, for power brakes, has just a centering divot in the end. The manual pushrod is about 1 1/4" longer than the power pushrod. Other than the depth of the hole, the M/C is the same.

A local muscle car parts shop sells one M/C for both applications, and includes this handy slug that fits in the hole. Take it out for manual, install it for power. A friend hooked me up with one.

Slid the M/C forward, enough for this to clear, got it in place, and put the M/C back. Didn't open the system, so didn't have to bleed it yet again. Now I've got brakes without the excessive pedal travel.

Lessons learned: check everything, even if the part claims to be the right one. NAPA sells this as being the right M/C for a power brake on a 70 Chevelle, along with a bunch of other cars. Not that it won't work, but you'd need the longer "manual" pushrod to make it work correctly.

Now I gotta find out how to dispose of 2.5 gallons of brake fluid.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app