Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the cheapest way to ship heavy stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gracie, May 21, 2004.

1. Gracie

Gracie

I scored some steps for my dad's F150 and need to ship them to Alabama... I stopped by one of those UPS stores and they wanted a shitload. I don't want to spend more on shipping than the steps are worth!

2. I've been using Greyhound. Cheap, fast enough, and everything has gotten there in one piece...so far.

3. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

how heavy ? greyhound is good and cheap terminal to terminal .depending on how heavy they are try parcel post uspo .

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've had really good luck with Greyhound. But if UPS is your thing, always take it to the counter at the terminal. It's about half as much as one of those damn stores...

5. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

F the UPS store! Don't go there.
    If it will fit in a box shipping standard UPS ground is a good way to go. They raised the max weight and they'll take some pretty heavy stuff.

6. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Bus is the way to go,cheap......

7. BigJim394

BigJim394

8. BigJim394

BigJim394

9. Any local Bus terminal. I shipped a 32 COWL, a freakin cowl!!!! By bus to Fresno for $47!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Never use the UPS store..I have an account with UPS..But you dont need that..all you do is go online with UPS and follow the steps on shipping.You can print the label and pay for it,and schedule a pick up online with a credit card and they will come to you and pick it up.Or just pay for it online and drop it off there or anywhere who uses UPS.

11. Gracie

Gracie

Thanks, I'll try the bus first.

12. Gracie- I use the Pacel Post thru Post office-sometimes ya jus wrap a peice O paper big enough for a lable around it and ship it.Priority is about three times as high...usually 4-6 daysParcel Post and sometimes but not always 3 days priority

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've used the bus for large things (doors, hoods, fenders, etc.). shipping was fast, parts arrived with no damage, cost was reasonable.

Frank

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

FedEx GROUND is the best way to ship a 5 pound or larger package coast to coast. SCREW UPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just go to their websites and see how much you'll save! FedEx also has friendly human beings working there.

15. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Greyhound is the only way to fly. 3 days from here to texas. over half the price of UPS and much faster.. the other alt is the US mail. UPS has priced them selves out of shipping as i see it.

16. GRADY

GRADY

I use most of the major carriers at work...I just shipped a steering gear thru Greyhound that weighed 85 pounds to go to Watertown SD...forty six bucks...not too bad
    Sometimes, using a local carrier is cheaper ifn it is not going too far.
    Hope I am helping:)

17. Gracie

Gracie

I don't know how much it weighs yet... a lot by my girlie noodle arm standards tho'...

18. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

Gracie , you can either use a bathroom scale or hual it down to the post office .Every us post office and a scale in its lobby free to use .Like others have said these mailing places have a mark-up of 15-40% , i have seen some even mark-up regular postage stamps .Parcel post ,depending of weight will prob be your cheapest .Another way would be to call the frieght companies in and around the airport ,tell them the weight and size of the box and shop around if you have the time . If not USPO or greyhound it . GOOD LUCK .

19. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

"or hual it down to the post office .Every us post office and a scale in its lobby free to use"
    ha ha thats funny.i wish ours had a nice big area where you could just big packages in to use a free scale.you should see our dump. [​IMG]the scale is about the size of a bathroom one on the counter.ups isnt that bad unless its too long.
    eric

20. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

You could also try getting a quote from a trucking company, like Yellow. It also gets cheaper if it's on a pallet.