Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the catch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevnut, Feb 13, 2007.

1. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

2. BinderRod

BinderRod

There was another one by the same person last week. Everyone said it was a spoof and a way to get into your computer.

3. 39delux

39delux

It looks like another typical Ebay scam where someone hijacks pictures or an ad and posts it as their own hoping to find some fool that will send money thinking they are getting something for nothing. These guys even hijack real Ebay member's names but of course the address to send the money is something different and usually off shore. Alert Ebay and it will be pulled asap.

Tom

4. HIDDEN

HIDDEN

Its got 6+ days left. Might have just forgot to put a reserve on it. But proably a scam. I wouldnt bid on it.

5. DEFINATELY a scam... "don't email me through ebay... my ebay account is slow..." Uh, that's a scam.

6. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Yeah it's a scam. The Guys other items include a cherry GT500 for the same price. Since he is asking for an e-mail I'm thinking he is just collecting addresses for a widespread spam attack. Don't e-mail this guy asking details because that is really what he is gathering for.

7. Bishop Welding

Bishop Welding
    from USA

Obvious Scam >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The seller is a "5"

I like the "Do not contact me through e-bay e-mail, use my private one." that's bold.

It would be funny to bombard the seller with questions and post his replies on this thread.

Who's first??

8. The fuckin' roob that sends money to that guy deserves to lose every penny...

JOE:cool:

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Don't even open the e-bay link, your computer is going to implode:D

10. Just narc'd his ass out to ebay! I HATE ebay scammers ('cuz I done been scammed before). Bastard should rot in hell.

11. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

There's an old saying that goes 'round 'bout this time: "If it sounds too good to be true...it is!"

Oh, and add "Caveat Emptor" to that too...

R-

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

13. JamesG

JamesG

Going out on a limb here, but I'd have to say it's a SCAM!

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Attached Files:

15. nrfleming

nrfleming

the truck has an sbc in it. really brings the value down

16. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

17. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

Scam for sure. Stay away.

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I saw thats one too. I sent an email.. Thats a buy and ive got the money but.. I wann see pics of the frame and shit.
    Go do a search on egay on 1392 ford hagan hood tops? There i a guy in michigan that has 10 for sale at 280.00 of best offer and he is saying she shipping weight is 70 pounds:D Ya i questioned him too:confused::confused:
    Unless he is shipping em in a concrete box i dont think so! Hagan sends em out in just a cardboard box with some foam in it..
    Dave

19. Most of these "great deals" have a pre approved bidder list. That makes them easy to spot. Besides having your email address if you reply, in order to be on the list, they need to verify funds with your bank, which means...they need your bank account number.

Then they rip you off.

20. 39delux

39delux

I'd say that truck is a scam too. A '32 Ford finished and driving for that amount of cash, regardless of the color, is just not for real. Ask for pictures of areas that would prove that he has the truck.

21. caddydave

caddydave

Last week there was a thread here about a chopped 59 Impala with a buy it now of $7900. This is a REALLY nice car that has been pictured on the HAMB before and there is no way it is a $7900 car.

I sent the guy an e-mail, told him I am in the east bay, I've got the money and I would like to meet up to look at and maybe purchase the car. Here's his response:

First of all I must inform you that I'm located in Budapest , Hungary . I recently moved here with my job and I had the intention to take the car with me in order to register it and keep it, but I discovered that it is very hard to register a US car here and the taxes are very high. Not to mention that here the gasoline is much expensive here. So, unfortunately, I had to leave the car in the US.

The PRICE is $7,900. The car is in excellent condition. It has no scratches on and hasn't been involved in an accident. The motor runs very well. The car was always garaged. The car is still US registered and the title is clear. The car is in US at the shipping company and it is ready to be shipped.

The SHIPPING will be made by DAS Auto Shippers.The delivery will take between 7 and 10 working days (with insurance and 30 days return policy). I WILL PAY FOR THE SHIPPING!

If the car does not matches 100% the description, you will return it in maximum 30 days and I will pay for the return shipping fees.PAYMENT will be made through eBay so we can be both protected!

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible. I have reserved the car for you until I will have your final answer.

Thank you,
    Dan

I wish I was clever enough to screw with him, but as of yet I havn't responded. On his ad, if you clicked on "view sellers others auctions" it went straight to e-mail. You think that e-bay would have a way of reducing some of this, but not even sure they really care?

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

I sold a car in the last month or so. I got the email about how they were willing to pay me my full $4K but they needed me to accept a check for 10K and forward the 6K to a "broker" and a "shipping company". As a time killer I played along. Agreeing to everything they said.

I sold and delivered the car to a real buyer but then one day a check arrived in the mail.

[​IMG]

I got urgent emails about how this needed done quick as their "client" was leaving the country. They gave me an address to Western Union the money. I sent them a pic. If you are familiar with "goatse" you know the pic I sent them.

23. oktr6r

oktr6r
    from Tulsa

Almost always true, some exceptions... It helps to have friends near by to help some of the "too good to be true" deals happen.

My wife is disabled and I've wanted to find a small bus with a wheelchair lift to set up as an RV. Can't find anything decent within 500 miles of Tulsa without paying $6K or more.

This one was 1,300 miles away and the price was too good to be true.

http://tinyurl.com/2nfmqg

Some good friends have been moving it across country for me. I'll pick it up in Little Rock, Arkansas this weekend at a bike show & swap meet. Reports are that runs and drives great, even doing 80 mph for an hour between Washington DC and Virginia.

24. chevnut

chevnut
    from Corona, Ca

Got a similar e-mail I posted below. and another after I sent him request for pics I also posted below. Man if you did not know any better and if you did not have a place like the HAMB and members watching your back I can see how someone could be screwed. These people need to get locked up or better yet <:eek: CENSORED:eek: >. you fill in the blanks..

Mods~ If you feel it's necessary to close this thread it's cool. I'm sure everyone is aware that there are scams in e-bay just note this guys name( his email: [email protected]) and avoid him all possible.

His first e-mail.
    Hello,

Thank you for contacting me about my car, I personally recommend the - 1933 Ford Hi-Boy Cpe, in pristine condition. The price is $2,900.

About the car: it is in immaculate condition and has no scratch on and
    hasn't been involved in any accident. The engine runs very well. The
    car was always garaged and rarely used. The car is in showroom
    condition. The title is clear, it is not a salvage one. I have legal document
    by which I can transfer the title to your name.

The car is located in Atlanta and I will ship it from here. I will support all the shipping fees.

The delivery will take within 5 to 7 working days (with insurance and
    30 days return policy). The service has frequent shared container
    services. It will be insured at the dedelivery service. If something happens
    on the road, you will receive the insurance from the delivery service.

As soon as the car arrives, you will test and if it does not matches
    100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 30 days since the
    arrival date. In this case I will pay the return shipping and insurance
    fees.

ALSO ABOUT PAYMENT AND SHIPPING I WILL USE ONLY EBAY SO WE CAN BOTH BE
    PROTECTED!

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS TO E-MAIL ME YOUR EBAY USER ID AND COMPLETE NAME
    AND ADDRESS FOR SHIPPING AND AFTER THAT EBAY WILL CONTACT YOU WITH MORE
    INFO REGARDING SHIPPING AND PAYMENT!

If you agree with my above terms, I'm sure that we can close the deal
    as soon as possible. I have reserved the car for you until I will have
    your final answer.

Sincerely,
    Alvin Broner

His second:

I inherited this car from my uncle, I don't know that much about the cars.I attached a few pics for you.
    Anyway you'll have a max 10 days inspection period before I receive payment.

If you want to complete the purchase please send me your eBay ID, your full name and address and I will notify eBay that you are selected as my buyer. Payment will be done by bank to bank wire transfer and will be supervised by eBay. The financial part of this deal will be managed by them. They are acting like a third party in this deal. After I get in touch with them they will contact you to explain the entire procedure. After you will receive the transaction details from eBay you will have to send a
    $2,900.00 to an eBay agent.

As soon as you send the payment to eBay then I will start to make all the shipping arrangements.
    They will keep the money until you receive it and test it.
    Please email me soon if you want to move forward