Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best way to seal the center of the hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50dodge4x4, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I am in the process of building a 48 Plymouth coupe. The coupe's hood used to have a chrome strip down the center of the original one piece hood that was constructed from 2 sections. That chrome piece is long gone and will not be replaced. The car will spend its life, while here, outside. I have discovered that missing chrome strip is allowing rain water to enter my engine! Fortunately, I discovered this fact soon enough to be able to save the engine. Currently, I have a tarp covering the engine to prevent a re-occurrence of the water issue. I'm pretty sure the tarp thing is not a good long term fix, so I'm looking for a better option. I have a mig welder here (and know how to use it) and thought about just welding a patch over the seam but figured a 40" long double weld would turn the hood into something real ugly, and there are a lot of deep pits along that center gap. I've also thought about pumping some seam sealer into the gap, but have concerns if that would be the best plan as well.

What I'm looking for is some suggestions on how to stop the water flow through the hood center seam. There is a lot of clearance under the hood and I'm not opposed to making something for under the hood to redirect the water. What do you guys suggest? Gene

2. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Show a pic of your hood... Thinking a gutter channel underneath the seam attached to one side?