Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the best way to get out sand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Feb 5, 2009.

1. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

I should have took you guys advice and taped up everything ,but i didnt' , now i'm paying for it. Guess, sometimes that's the only way you learn , the HARD WAY. Yesterday , i turned on the car and hit the blinkers to see if they still worked and i could feel glass /sand in the steering column, it's going to ruin everything if i dont get it out. what's the best way? dissamble and compressed air?:mad:

2. 1Bad67

1Bad67

wow.. I blasted my GTO in highschool... it blasted us for the next several years, every time I'd open the vents or windows, the sand would blow out of places I didn't know it even had.
    Good luck.

3. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Alternate vaccuum and compressed air.

You're gonna be at this for a while.

I'm sure someone here is gonna tell yo to go pound the sand.

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I blasted the undercarraige and engine compartment on a completely disassembled Mustang. didn't touch the insides.

did this on a rotissierie and after I was done blasting I spun the car and tried to blow all the sand out with compressed air. I could have spun it 100 times and blew air in there til the cows came home and never would have gotten it all out.

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

I did a lot of blasting on a Bronco about 8 years ago. the fucking sand is still leaking out of it. It's a pile of rust, all the metal I replaced disapeared and still the sand is falling out.

6. brewsir

brewsir

reminds me of going to the beach....freakin sand gets everywhere! Sorry...I don't have any advice (besides don't have sex in the sand)

7. moon man

moon man
    BANNED

Too late now....

8. customcory

customcory

Tie it loosely on a trailer , preferably without suspension, and go down the roughest interstate you can think of ,5 mph over the speed limit. Go about 50 miles round trip. Gets it out of those hard to reach areas and keeps people from tailgating.:D

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Take it out, take it apart, use lots of solvent and grease, blow it out real good, vacuum it out real good put it back together in a clean room and wear a dust mask and goggles when you drive

10. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

It's especially fun when it comes out during the paint job.

11. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Uh, well, sorry about your luck. Blow gun and vac it....for days and days and days

12. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

take it to bonneville and top speed it with all the windows down!!!

I haven't found a good way to rid a car of sand. Best of luck!

13. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

that might be a little counterproductive since bonneville is 100% SAND lol

14. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

could be... but it would be fun!

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

Um...I think the Bonneville Salt Flats are 100% SALT!!

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Um...I think the Bonneville Salt Flats are 100% SALT!!

every time I come here I learn something new!:D

17. Any parts that had grease on them will have sand stuck to the grease. You'll have to degrease all those parts in solvent and flush them with clean solvent, and blow them dry to get the sand out of them.

Use an air gun with a long narrow nozzle to blast in all those hard to reach areas. Vacuum up what comes out and do it over and over and over.

Good luck

18. I gotta say it...

An ounce of prevention...

19. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    I had my 57 blasted only in a few areas. I cleaned, vacuumed all that I saw. Once I put the engine and trans back in, I started the engine and ran it at a couple grand to break it in. There was sand coming out of every crevice and nook in the whole car. I must have swept up another couple pounds of sand due to the vibration of the engine.
    Rick

20. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Yup, the rest is annoying, but the paint part will screw up your day FAST.

21. TERPU

TERPU

Been there, luckily the first coat normally seals it in and gives you that awesome orange peely sanpaper affect.

Tim

22. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Maybe he meant the little known Bonneville Sand Flats, you think a windy day in Wendover is bad, you oughta see a 50mph gust at the sand flats...

23. Yeah. Cuts like a new file.

24. Hey Man!! I've been to Lubbock and ,hell.there is sand in the air you breathe out there. All kidding aside,most folks just wont listen to good upfront advice till they learn it themselves...welcome to the club!!!!!!!!!!

25. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I had my '59 T'Bird blasted 10 years ago, and to this day every time I run the heater/defroster, the carpet and dash pad get covered by nasty black dust. The shop very carefully taped over the air vents in the cowl, but the dust goes EVERYWHERE, and lots of it.

You're going to have to remove the column, disassemble and carefully clean your switch gear and so on, or you'll never get rid of the grit. Good luck.