Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best way 2 soda blast a carb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Tearing it apart and blasting it? or masking it good? I imagine taking it apart and blasting it is not the greatest idea.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im interested to, apperently the soda is water soluable so you just rinse it off when your done.

3. im kinda curious about the jets because there so small.

4. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

I've done this same thing...but I took the carb apart for blasting. Then rinsed with water a few times, dunked in carb dip, then sprayed off with brake cleaner and dried with compressed air before I installed a rebuild kit and reassembled the carb. Comes out looking like a brand new carburetor. The blasting only takes about 10 minutes and costs about $10 for the soda/hose/gun.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

5. So it doesnt get stuck in the crevises?

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Disassemble, soda gets into everything, wash well and you are good to go. If you don't have a cabinet use a mask and cover everything you don't want to look like a biscuit.
    soda media works better than kitchen stuff.

7. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

just did this on a pair of AFB's im rebuilding for a friend. stripped the carbs down, soaked in CHEM DIP, rinsed with water, blasted with a harbor freight spot blaster loaded with arm and hammer soda. then rinsed with water again and blew dry with air nozzle. they look new! these had alot of nasty fuel stains that even the chem dip didn't remove but the soda zipped them right off, i'm impressed. My back yard looks like some one was using it to practice flour sack bombing but that will go with the next rain i'm sure.

8. Dennis D

Dennis D

If you used enough of the baking soda to get the grass white, you won't have to mow that spot much longer. Trust me on this......Dennis D:rolleyes:

9. Buford

Buford

Where is the best source for the soda media in quantity? Thanks!

10. I buy my at a bakery supply store....its a lot cheaper than by the box.
    It seems to make my grass grow better..mmmm

11. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I didn't use a mask and it made my nose hair grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL
    most blast companies have media in bulk

12. don't let the stuff into your garden or your gonna sprout BISCUTS!!:rolleyes::D

13. 6-71

6-71

I buy mine at the local feed store.much cheaper than anywhere else.

14. nali

nali

For carb base made of cast iron , I blast with sugar . Works well and also water soluble ...

15. If u live near one, Harbor freight sells the armex stuff. Its the same brand that eastwood carries, but at 35 bucks for a 50 lb bag. Empty out ur blaster after u use it though. I tore a hose trying to undo the bottom hose 2 clean it......STUPID! :(