Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's the best trans for a stock banger?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1931fordtruck, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Is there any other trans that will bolt up to a stock banger besides a 84-87 ford f150 with minor modifications?

2. Don't fool yourself. There is no "easy" or minor swap for the tranny. The closest to minor would probably be the 39 tranny. You can also use a T5. I think the F150 is the best solutiuon because you get a synco tranny and an overdrive in one compact unit plus you keep your closed drive line torque tube setup. A T5 can also be set up this way but I like the idea of a Ford part. What are your goals with this swap?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. Idaho/Dave

Idaho/Dave
    from Idaho

theirs a s10 kit over on the ford barn listed in the classifieds,

4. Tiny,
    I'm looking to gain more speed for highway driving, using the 4 banger. Would a ford trans from the 70's, with a little modification, work as well as the f150 trans? It's a toploaded trans aswell.

5. jr9162

jr9162

Tiny, how do you install a F150 4 speed OD tranny and retain the torque tube driveline?

6. 117harv

117harv

More speed? A trans swap that doesn't have an overdrive will make no differance as they almost always have a 1 to 1 final drive. How about a ring & pinion swap or a quick change?

7. Do a search for f150 transmission in a model A over on the Fordbarn. If I was good at computers I could give you a link but I'm not so you get to do the leg work. Also remember you'll need enough umph to push the overdrive so a really tired stock motor probably won't do it. I don't think a 70's tranny would work well but anything can be adapted I'm sure.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Tiny,
    I have been on ford barn already. They push the f150 trans, but I'm having a hard time coming across an 84-87 trans where I'm located.

9. Yeah thats kind of the bitch with that one. I'm still looking for one also. Once I find one ill get serious with the swap. You might try taller tires. I run 750 17's it gave me about a 10 mph boost. Caught myself doing 60 one day. Don't try to go that fast as my engine was last rebuilt in 45 but it does make 50+ possible

10. they did make an early OD that went into some Vans - like this one - and trucks but is a cast iron unit....much like the old top loader's.....and

the aluminum TOD overdrive came after about 1979 ?....

75-79.jpg

TOD 1.jpg

11. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I have a T-5 behind my banger and a 3.54 gear in my banjo. Seems like the perfect set up to me. Tall tires out back and it gives me 65 mph at about 2000 rpm's and a lot of scoot around town.

Pete

12. Petew, what year t-5 did you use? What was it out of? How hard was it to modify? Keith

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the 84-87 F150 trans is a 4 spd overdrive trans.

14. 117harv

117harv

^^^ Thanks for the info.

15. What are your thoughts? Would this trans work. This trans is out of a 1970 ford 4x4. It is a 4 speed.

Attached Files:

16. I'm not sure you'll gain anything. Is 4th an overdrive? Is it a granny first? I'm sure it can be adapted with enough planning and machining but why not a t5 or f150? Crazydaddyo has a nice tech on putting a T5 in and keep the torque tube also. If you don't mind the open driveline the are even more easier choices

17. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

The weight and size of that one alone should be a deterrent;)

18. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

It takes power to push a car down the road at highway speeds, much of it just to overcome the wind resistance. Stock, really stock Model A engine only produces about 36hp through a narrow band of RPM. The Ford engineers tried to overcome some of the problems found on the roads of the time and also deal with the fuel available at the time. Performance increases for the Model A are traditional and the improvement/dollar consideration would put a transmission change way down a very long list. Unless you find that you can not drive an old car with an unsynchronized trans, it is clearly not worth it to change. Good Luck: Fred A

19. What's the best tranny upgrade for a model a banger?
    Which can also be used with a flathead ford v8 ( if my banger doesn't produce enough HP)??

20. oldsman41

oldsman41

in a banger you can go with a overdrive out of a early Volvo mounted in the tube ford barn guys do it all the time had one in my 28 and it did fine.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I have one A with a T-5 and another with a '39 equipped with Lincoln Zephyr gears and 3:54 rear gears. Both are great and cost more money then I will admit too! There is a stock A transmission with syncros for $1800 and some choice in gear ratios. Check with Berts, Synders or one of the better known A suppliers for more info. If I were to do another A, in addition to the engine build, I'd do a V-8 flywheel/clutch and a stock A transmission with syncros and an o'drive. There is also a thread here on using a Jeep transmission and retaining the torque tube. Do a search.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  22. So, Mitchell tranny in a 4 banger model A:
    Other than high cost, are they a good option?
    + overdrive = expensive and another lever

Would the Mitchell for a 39 Ford and overdrive fit a banger?
    I believe the later od's are electric...correct?
    I'm no good down shifting my A transmission and overdrive wild be great too