Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the best torque wrench for the money?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Punko, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Two shabby

Two shabby

The snap on guy that comes to work charges us $75 to send out a click type for calibration. We have a tool at work that mounts in a vice and has a dial that you can check them with. You can calibrate the click type snap on wrenches by removing the melted on plastic covering the holes half way up the side of the wrench and turning the screw inside.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

budget, Sturtevant beam type, no doubt. Otherwise, a real high end dial type, and they have to be calibrated regularly. I have three sixties vintage snap-ons. I wouldn't own a click type.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  3. big john d

big john d
    from ma

you can check accuracy of your torque wrench at an nhra national event there are manufactures on the midway with the equipment to do it

4. speedshifter

speedshifter

I purchased a dial type Snap On torque wrench on an auction for $5. Came in a metal case with an instruction sheet dated 1939. Thought it was 1/4" drive. Nothing would fit the dam thing, it was 9/32" drive! Anyone had experience with 9/32" drive? Greg

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I have a small set of 9/32" drive Snapon sockets and T-handle in a metal case, the story I heard was that they were made during WWII in an odd size to discourage theft. But since yours are pre-war (US involvement, anyway) they must date from an earlier time.
    Mine are dull finish, possibly zinc or cadmium plated, and also in a grey painted metal case. I'd be thrilled to find a torque wrench to fit them.

My main torque wrench is a 3/8 drive Hazet brand (German) that I got used but virtually new, years ago. A very nice tool.