Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Best "Pre-Paint" Rattle-Can Primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1951Streamliner, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Im going to have my Pontiac repainted this Saturday, and I have a few spots where I used spot putty or burned through to metal (on the edges).

I wanted to spray these areas with primer before paint, but dont have a gun..

So, whats the best primer in a can to use right before paint? I dont want there to be any "negative reactions" due to choosing the wrong stuff... and I dont know much about paint :eek:

Thanks guys

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have you asked your painter what is best for brand of paint being used? will be using a sealer before paint? search thread: any good primer sealers in a spray can?

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Okay thank you.

I guess I should have used the search bar :eek:

4. borracho52

borracho52
    from oakley ca

it kinda depends on the paint but generally if its minor bare metal spots an etch prime could be used before spraying base.... if its bondo that needs actual primer i use a rattle can surfacer from sem for small bondo spots sometimes...... the black one fills better than the gray

5. duplicolor etching primer on the bare metal break thru. its green, sands well but not great fill.
    spot putty ? like that green stuff ???? that usualy shrinks up in about 3-6 months and shows.

6. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

SEM..self etching primer.

7. chevs52-58

chevs52-58

I like the duplicolor etching primer. Works good and drys fast, but not a really good "fill and sand" primer.

In my area (st. louis) most of the major chains auto parts have switch to
    Rustolem paints and primers. Theyare not fast drying and takes usually a day before they are fully dry. If you are trying to do a spot job fast, don't use em.

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Its not the green spot putty, its a two-part filler "finishing glaze"

The bare metal parts are just tiny little edges so i dont think etching should be necessary, i tihnk that this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMM-42003/
    will be my best bet.. right??

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I prefer to brush or roll on primer from a can rather than use any of the spray primers. Once I touch up a spot with a brush I let it dry, then sand it smooth with 320 grit. I've used this method a lot, and it works great for me, and no question if the primer will have any issues with bonding with the new paint.
    If it's more than touch up, I get the gun out and spray.

10. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

SEM !-- best you can buy in a spray can. NO contest

OLLIN likes this.
  11. rancid737

rancid737

i use dupont's acrylic primer in a can for any "over filler" areas, and duponts etch primer for any metal areas that burnt through. The acrylic primer likes too be wet sanded with 400-600 grit, and the etch primer likes a quick scuff with a gray scotchbite pad. Of course stick with whatever line of paint youre gonna use, Im sure PPG has an equivelant, and Ive always liked SEM's stuff. I have also mixed up primer surfacer and applied with a roller (slang is "cat paws" little 3 inch foam rollers) and do just as 1971BB427 suggests, i just like 400 grit a lil better. Just my 2 cents.

12. metalman

metalman

I'd stay away from hardware store rattle can primers like Rustolium or Krylon, it would be a shame to find it reacts to automotive paint in a bad way after the car is painted. I use a DTM primer in a spraycan from Sherwin-Williams with good results, SEM is a good product as well.

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i use duplicolor etch primer as well. it used to be you could even get it at wallmart at 3:00 am if you needed it! but like alot of stores, rustolium has taken over.(hate it) i use the duplicolor etch for temporary coverage until i can get real automotive primer on it, although i have put epoxy primer over the etching primer for fun on un-important panels as test with no reactions so far.

14. FinfordHenn

FinfordHenn
    from new york

I guess I should have used the search bar
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Deuces

Deuces

I think the green putty is for model cars... I have a small tube of it...

16. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Thanks for all the help guys, im going to go with SEM black primer :)

If you were trying making a joke with some pictures, it didnt work ;)