Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best grease for seat tracks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by built2grind, Jun 6, 2011.

1. built2grind

built2grind

Hey guys, I'm nearing the end of my interior restoration on my '60 Buick before it goes to the upolstery shop and just finished my seat tracks. These are from a '64 Impala and the bearings are shown. I'm just curious before I put these back together,

Whats the best grease to use on the bearings and tracks to stay "greasey". I can't remember but I know some grease gets hard over time. I don't want a silicon spray and don't want to use wd40. Should I use a packing grease like for wheel bearings? Thanks for your help.

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Man... seat track grease? You left yourself wide open for inputs here! Gary

3. built2grind

built2grind

Inputs..........Helpful comments.........slamming, It does'nt matter to me I got thick skin. I know standard white grease hardens up over time, thats what was on it making it difficult tp slide. Red grease will stain your clothes if you get it on you. I know GM makes a quality grease thats super slick, Just curious if anyone here had something they prefer over others thats all.

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

White grease works fine. Does not solidify.

5. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Try Vaseline, it's clear, it doesn't solidify, and it keeps things moving!

6. I would use a high end wheel bearing grease, a car interior gets pretty hot closed up and you do not want a lubricant that will drip on the new interior. common sense says use a light coating.

7. oldolds

oldolds

Look for the grease that is used on garage doors or big rig overhead doors. It is parafin (sp) based grease. Wax based.