Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best engine paint??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fedcospeed, May 26, 2010.

1. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Hey, What engine paint have you guys and gals used that works the best.Only want to do this once and have it last a while.Thanks!!

2. I know guys that have used catilized epoxy. They say its bullet proof. But you have to be sure that it doesn't end up in your cylinders and lifter bores and the like.

I used dulpicolor rattle can on my last engine, with etching primer undernieth. It worked well until last summer when I developed a radiator leak and sprayed the engine down with antifreeze for about a week before I had a chance to repair the rad. Now the waterpump needs a new coat of paint. This is a 13 year and 4 vehicle paint job and its time to freshen the motor anyway (about 130-140K).

The paint did stay on the block real well the water pump is the only place its peeling and it may have peeled there anyway. I don't think I primed the water pump first.

Duplicolor is moderatly cheap and is not high temp paint. But it is tough as nails.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

This stuff is excellent. Been on my flatty for 10 years. Also used it on the HEMI. You can brush it or spray it on. Do not have to use primer first. Just make sure surface is clean and free from grease , oil and gas. http://www.hirschauto.com/

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

5. 73RR

73RR

I have had excellent results when using 'Cold Galvanizing' spray as a primer. It provides plenty of tooth for whatever top coat we have used.

6. chubbie

chubbie

best engine paint? A CLEAN ENGINE!!!!! is the best way to keep paint on an engine
    I have used a lite coat of etch primer, and enamel with a cat. works great

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Clean engine, prime, acrylic enamel with hardener...paint on engine lasts decades.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

ANybody know what that darker red color that a lot of people paint flatheads is from? Was that a stock color? I'm going to paint my 265 that color. Aluminum looks so nice with that color.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Vermillion Red is the color of the 40 Ford trunk emblem and hubcap script. And quite possibly what you are looking for.

Attached Files:

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That color is really nice but I feel like the one that I am looking for is more of a Maroon. Dark.

Although, I will say that if I paint my engine red as '56 Chevy 265's were that Vermillion Red is the first thing I am going to grab.

11. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

most rattle can stuff is cactus the first time you degrease the motor, i use 2k, it takes the heat and keeps its gloss and handles chemicals.

12. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Bill Hirsch engine enamel if you want stock colors. It's designed for high heat of the engine and 50% of concourse quality cars (per Hirsch site) wear their engine enamel.

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Jeff, Bill Hirsch sells the 1956 Chevy V-8 engine red paint. $34 qt.
    http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=EE-QUART&variation=CHV RED

14. I've had better results with pretty much all of them since I started using engine paint primer by Dupli-Color first

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!!! I was just logged on to that site looking at it. Thanks 19Fordy!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Do you guys clear over them? Or does that turn yellow? I would like my engine to be extra shiny.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

NO Clear used with Bill Hirsch. Flows out really nice even with a brush.

18. I have the paint shop mix acrylic enamel.
    Clean block, light coat of DP epoxy primer, then topcoat with enamel.
    Tough as nails, lasts forever

Chevy Engine Orange-#60524
    Ford Dark Blue-#13358

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I wish Bill Hirsch had swatches to look at next to each color listing. Paint is always something I like to see prior to shooting. I guess they are used to competent builder and not the doofus like myself.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that hirsch site is great. i know what you mean though, jeff. color samples would be great.

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Anybody know if a this is a Stock '57 Ford Color? this is more along the lines of color selection I was thinking.

[​IMG]

22. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

The best engine paint...isn't "engine" paint....
    Engine paint is a gimmick......