Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats really wrong with 4 doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asher, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I know. I was referencing;
    There isn't a wave in sight in the Falcon wagon picture.

2. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

Well, this is 2014 and we may not be able to find a two door. Besides that you have to admit those 4 doors do look good. I like em all. Build what you like. I don't think most are Richie Richers. Let's go hot prodding and have fun. You might want to take a couple along.

3. Ok its like this. I know a guy that found a really nice pink 4 door htp 1960 edsel. He spent a lot of time & money restoring it. His wife drove it for a little bit. then she wanted a new suv. Now he don't want to drive a pink 4 door edsel. and he is mad because he cant sell it for half of what he spent on it. That's whats wrong with four drs. When you or your heirs need to sell it there aren't many buyers. four doors don't have any resale value. To me four doors are parts cars.

chopper99 and joel like this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, there is more room for whoever may come with you. When the family grew and the kids were old enough, parents of substance started taking everyone with them, turning a rod run into a family get-together. Some old-car people seem to think that cruising is just for the "guys". I say fuck to that; my family has come to Austin to LSRU several times with me and we have had a blast discovering Austin in all its "weirdness". Our one car is a '32 Highboy, the other is a '37 Ford 4-dr flatback, so there! Do what you want, but don't slam moredoors. After all, you are seeing more and more moredoors everywhere. If you don't want to park next to my moredoor, move your ass somewhere else.

5. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

I know 2 guys who spent BIG money building four door Tri Five Chevies because they wanted to take friends and grand kids on runs with them. They both have high end pre 35 roadsters they can use for runs with the wife, so they are not building four doors out of financial need.
    Bottom line ,what ever floats your boat is fine with me.

6. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Canton, you are mistaken about the bodies being longer on 4-drs. The front doors were shortened so there was room for a second door. This phobia about 4-doors is sickness borne from a quest to "be cool". I would much rather have a steel 4-door whatever than a glass coupe, sedan, roadster, or whatever.

SicSpeed, Gary Reynolds and Arabie777 like this.
  7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right about moredoors not being worth as much as their 2-door counterparts, but they are also not nearly as expensive to acquire in the first place, so there shouldn't be as much invested as in a 2-door. However, many of us have kids who are mature enough to enjoy coming along to runs, and the 4-door is made for that task. Rodding CAN be a family affair.

8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey there, NiteOwlChris, I respect your opinion just like the next guy. However, opinions are like assholes; everyone has one, but some stink more than others.

9. Ok :)
    But you might be mistaken.
    This off topic was the first side by side I found. The 4 drs never had the fast back design of the 2door so the roof line is different, the rear compartment head room is different and the 1/4 panel is longer.

You can find your own examples or not

image.jpg

55- 58 caddys have 2dr wheel base and 4dr wheel base for another example of 4drs being longer.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

That's all we predominantly got down here. Poverty pack 4 doors, not many coupes, tudors or wagons etc. Depends on years though and manufacturer. Many rare cars were one off imports as local manufactures did their own thing due to government regulations on content (Ford, GM, MOPAR).

11. Fender1325

Fender1325

Certain cars really just look better 2 door (chevelles, novas, 55/57 bel airs) however lately for myself who's in a major cadillac phase at the moment, the 4 doors just look better IMO. The coupe devilles look disproportionate with 2 doors, and a trunk as long as the hood. It is really quite funny how significantly the extra 2 doors downgrade the value of two otherwise identical caddy's. Lucky for me I actually prefer the cheaper ones!

12. When you're behind the wheel it feels the same under your ass and the view out the front is no different either.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Mine sets a little lower if the front now that I have set the 509 inch big block in it. Hope to get the chance to finish it this next year in time for the meltdown drags then the Hamb drags and then hopefully get on the list for drag week.

14. As a rule 4 doors are longer, they are built for comfort not for speed. The reason two door doors are longer is to make it easier to get into the back seat. There was a time that there were two types of coupe, a business coupe and a long door coupe, the business coupe didn't need the longer doors because the back seat area was for cargo not people.

I like fat girls (and no I haven't been in the closet all these years) but I probably wouldn't take one to a beauty pageant.

15. 117harv

117harv

The 4 doors roof line looks much better than the 2 door...imo

[​IMG]

16. I like the 2 door roofline better on the '66 Chevy, but I have always preferred the roof line of the '56 4 door hard top over the 2 door. I have said it before and will say it again if I could lay my hands on a '56 4 door hard top and a pair of 2 door hard top doors I would build the hard top the GM should have built. ;)

That does bring us back to our problem though doesn't it, some 4 doors are cool to some people, but traditionally 2 doors have always been the body of choice.

17. Like Better or not better is up to the looker. I like them both.
    But they clearly are different & no question there.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We had one of those two doors cars setting on the farm and a buddy loaded up his navy arms cap and ball pistol and said he was going to shot a hole in the quarter panel with it and I said not with that thing but he had to try so he put a bead on it and fired away and the lead ball ricocheted of the quarter panel then the dust to dawn light pole and came back and hit him right square between the eyes. Never laugh so hard before.

19. 117harv

117harv

Since this thread is all over, here is some more food for thought. How many years/makes offered two versions of more doors? The 59 Caddy has two, the flat top doesn't do anything for me, the other version has nice lines.

20. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

A 4 door is your Mom's car,........ And I am Sorry to tell you, But Nothing cool about Driving your Moms car!.... Just saying. Also How old are you? I bet you are probably middle aged. Keep in mind this is a hot rod forum! and although you may think 4drs are cool now being middle aged. Most likely If you were a young Hotrodder, You would not think 4drs are cool. And Never have I ever heard of a hot rod 4dr. Bottomline is Hotrodders Do not like 4drs, they never have and never will, If you have come to that time in your life when You like 4drs, Then you are probably slowing down. I bet you have a well groomed Lawn as well and cuss the neighbor kids for walking on your Grass. I don't mean anything bad by my comments, Just all part of getting older. Think back about what kind of car you wanted or had when you were 18.....And there is the answer to your question.

Special Ed likes this.
  21. You're kidding, right?
    This might hold true if you buy a done (or close to) car, but if actually building one, rarely is the initial cost enough of the savings to make up for the sale price hit.

22. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Can't believe this thread is still going. There's been some good discussion and everyone has remained civil. I pretty much agree with all of you concerning value, coolness/non-coolness, etc. Still, as material is getting harder and harder to find, I won't pass on a solid 4dr. that has the right look. I truly enjoy driving old cars. A little lowering, and some wheels can make for a good cruiser. I agree not to drop a lot of money and get upside down in one.

23. squirrel

squirrel

Hot rods and customs are all about going fast and looking good. Four doors are about being practical. It's pretty simple.

Special Ed likes this.
  24. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I don't see any 2-door hot rods being made into 4-door hot rods.

Saxman, chopper99 and Special Ed like this.
  25. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

bowie likes this.
  26. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Realy??? Its all just a pissing contest. Its like back in school when you couldn't afford the $400.00 shoes, and everyone did'nt let you in the "cool" crowd. Not everyone can afford a two door, but the fourdoor equiv. is usually cheaper. I say build what you can get, their all antique cars at this point. AND GROW UP.

27. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Enough Said!!

Special Ed and chopper99 like this.
  28. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Your right, And even though we could not afford those shoes, We still wanted them!!......kinda like the guys with 4drs Still want the 2 doors....LOL........... Don't get me wrong I love 4drs, They make great parts cars and I have 2 of them just waiting for the right parts to make them into 2 doors...Also it has alot to do with getting older, When I was a kid and my mom would fix Beans and corn bread, (which my Dad Loved) I would not eat that shit to save my life, I wanted Cheeseburgers and fries. Now I love beans and corn bread. Point is If you are old enough that 4drs have grown on you, then you probably have grey hair (if any at all) and don't care much about going fast anymore.

29. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

This is hopeless, y'all have fun runnin' each other down. This is the kind of stuff that is killing the hobby. So a young kid goes out, Buys a fordoor shoebox that he can afford, puts alot of work in it, and then gets put down, or snubbed at shows, by the gold chain two door crowd. Well, the tuner crowd don't care how many doors it has, mabye he'll fit in there..... with an Import...........Jus' sayin.

wraymen and SicSpeed like this.
  30. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

$400.00 shoes? You must be a lot younger than I am.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.