Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats really wrong with 4 doors?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by asher, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hot rods and speed go together a 2 dr is lighter hence should be faster. As to the cheaper thing that should tell it all. If you have 2 cars one a 2 dr and one a 4 dr in the same shape the cost to fix them up is about the same, but the 2 dr is worth much more. I know you say you don't build them to sell but almost all sell at some point.

2. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

A seven year bump on a bullshit topic.... that's how you know for damn sure that 4 doors ain't cool.

T.L. and Special Ed like this.
  3. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, They're good for Racing...Harder to get your doors blown off!

4. 4 doors are grocery getters.

So here is this guy that is 35 years old and still lives with his mom, what is wrong with that? Same with 4 doors they just scream, "hey everyone my mom let me drive her car."

5. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

You can't use logic and reasoning to "prove" which is better. It's all about taste. Some guys express their preferences as bias against what you and I are interested in. You'll find guys who will only consider Fords, or only pre-48 Fords, or only '32 Fords, or only roadsters, convertibles, etc. So the bottom line is don't build a car to please other people. Build what you are interested in (any make, any body style, any modifications) and you will likely attract two kinds of people. First will be those interested in what you have. They will stop to look, ask questions, etc. Second will be those who will want to criticize you because you don't think as they do. Let them go. Enjoy your car. I've been driving my 4-door for 24 years and still have fun and meet new people who stop to look and talk.

low budget likes this.
  6. Frank,

I can see that we live in two entirely different worlds. I don't build cars to attract people to talk to. If I want to talk to someone I walk over and talk to 'em. Maybe that's why I don't build 4 doors, I don't want anyone who doesn't really want to be there to climb in my back seat, and if I even have a back seat I probably won't get out of the car so that they can get back there. I have even been known to run the bench out of a 4 door so if someone wants back there they got to climb over. :D :D

7. I like four doors they make very good parts cars .

8. joseph.peter.carter@us.ar

[email protected]
    from USA

4 Doors, you might as well put a car seat in the back. This could be something, I rate long bed pick-up trucks along the same lines as 4 door cars. Both serve a definite purpose and scope of work, not to be "hot rodded".

9. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I've had 5 40's--one coupe, two 2-drs and two 4-drs. The 4-drs have a real roomy back seat. When you drive one, the "look" out the w/shield is the same as a 2-dr. I'll vote for 1940 Ford w/out regard for the number of doors.

10. indyjps

indyjps

Resale on a 4 door generally isn't very good compared to a 2 door. Just consider it when building, are you gonna keep it forever or is this just a fun build that will get a new owner in a few years.
    Because of this fact, I've bought a lot of 4 doors where the owner built their dream car and couldn't get much for it, got me a lot of new parts to build a different car, for a very reasonable price.

11. Well after a seven year break with this thread, we are all the better for knowing that.o_O

12. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Thx Kevin. Since I have no blood in my 4-door I guess that constitutes proof that there is no stigma(ta). Q.E.D.

13. Well I'm not too impressed with it. There stigma is back. :D :D

I won't go as far as stigmata though I'm not catholic.

14. I miss my mordoor..I drove it thousands of miles and sold it for big money.HRP

15. I understand they are not for everyone but I always thought that a '55 Buick 4-door hardtop was a pretty cool car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, what's wrong with that???

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  16. Well I kind of like a '56 Chevy 4 door hard top, I would like it better if it only had 2 doors. They just have a better roof line then the 2 door hard top. If I could afford one and a pair of 2 door hard top doors I would be in heaven.

I guess that puts me in the crowd of changing a 4 door to a 2 door. :eek: :D

17. raidmagic

raidmagic

I've got a buddy that likes to say "if it has 4 doors there better be two titles." It always makes me smile. I have one four door and the others are 2 doors. I usually don't care

18. I think that for some of us it is a cultural thing, we grew up in a culture of choices and 4 doors were just not considered cool. I would consider a 4 door valiant if it had a 426 in it though, I drove one that belonged to Coletti Chrysler Plymouth once, what a sleeper. well at least it was a sleeper until you lit it off. There was no disguising it once it was running. ;)

dana barlow likes this.
  19. tkmark

tkmark
    1. 49-54 Chevy Cars

Love my 50 Fleetline 4 door, wouldn't change a thing.

pat59 likes this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I too being 72,grewup in thinking 4doors an autotrannys were for grandmas,but in todays world were the cool old body styles are hard to find,it just don't matter so much if its a 4door or 2door ,bothh cool,other then the resell is more on a 2 door

21. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I did not read every post here, so if duplicating ....sorry....
    Traditionally 2 doors are always cooler than 4 doors.....agree. But the cost is ridiculously higher....
    However, 4 doors can be equally cool if done right.
    Usually need to be dropped a lot to start with......then paint schemes, wheels, and so on make the rest.
    I like them a lot, and when you look at the cost to buy one, it isn't even close...so why not.
    Also, if you look close at a 1956 Chevy, 1957 Ford, and many others their 4 door hardtops have the same basic roof line of the two doors...
    I would be proud to own either one of them :)

22. While Ford never built a 1932 Four Door Vicky,Roy Brizio did.

This car was built for Eric Clapton...I would love for my name to be on the title. HRP

[​IMG]

i.rant, kiwijeff and 117harv like this.
  23. I wouldn't mind owning a 54 or 55 chevy 210 fordor. Could have had a 55 but was too hard headed to buy it.

24. Truth is that there is nothing actually wrong with a more door, they just aren't as cool as a tudor in most cases.

HRP used to own a 4 door Deuce that I would not have minded owning and driving. But end of the day there is a big difference between a Deuce moredoor and a 4 door '59 Chebby.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

25. I would prefer a 2-door fleetline, but this is just plane sexy!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  26. ges, you gotta lub a bombita mang. ;)

27. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

quite possibly the best post on the HAMB........ever

28. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Love mine, child seats and all, my little kids love it too. Family first. New look for it in the works too....

Attached Files:

29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

60sCarShowPicWanderer.gif well my 2 door was pretty much a chick magnet Edenwoodie.gif but SO was my 4 door "woodie" Give me a FOUR door ANY day for convienence & access tho -- mygarden2011 016.jpg mygarden2011 015.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.