Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features What's on your.... AM radio?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1953naegle, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I did the FM converter thing in the mid '70s till I got me an under dash Pioneer Super Tuner with a cassette player.....:D I think it was a 40 watt system with a pair Jensen speakers.... I was stylin'.... :D:rolleyes:

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

I was given this really nice early sixties AM transistor radio. Nothing worth listening to on the airwaves but I keep it plugged in because the clock works.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running solid core wires so no radio

4. Sports talk/play-by-play (love me some baseball); opinions from ignoramuses and blowhards (including sports talk); religious haranguing. No music. Lots of static. Unlistenable during stormy days. FM is my friend.

Bleach and Deuces like this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In the old days, the AM dial was loaded with the local stations for clarity and the popular stations from LA for the best rock and roll stuff. KRLA, KHJ, KFWB, to name a few. Add in our own local KFOX from downtown Long Beach and we were covered for great sounds (as great as the standard speakers could provide). With all of the old rock and roll stations, why local KFOX? My brother was just starting to pick up the guitar and plunk away. So, he liked the finger picking and strumming sounds from country stars like Flatt and Scruggs.

At the time, no one else that cruised around with him liked that music. This is early country music, not the country rock music of today. But, it was his 51 Oldsmobile sedan and the 58 Impala, so he set the stations. It was a good thing only one push button was set for KFOX. Being in Long Beach, it was always clear broadcasting.

Jnaki

But for the rest of us that rode with him, the other push buttons were the popular rock and roll station music from Los Angeles. These days, we all have our new radio entertainment centers in our daily drivers, so those station tabs are set to anything that picks up good sounds, no talk radio and quality locations from specific areas. San Diego has many stations, but we only like the ones that are loud and clear in Orange County. The same for the current Los Angeles stations.

But, all of those are mute, since we have our Ipod music players hooked up and ad free, no talk, straight music of our own choices, play happily for the longer road trips all over California and the West Coast. Going across the country, the Ipods help in not having any clue about local music in those empty roads and highways. (Let alone cruising on those long barren highways with no reception in the Midwest and Southwest USA.)

7. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

On our Zenith kitchen radio with tubes, AM sounds just as good as FM.. It has two speakers and is High Fidelity..
    Christmas music sounds so nice and warm on it..

Chebby belair, 1953naegle and Deuces like this.
  8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

poiuj.jpg
    Grew up in Windsor Ontario listening to The Big 8. There's a great documentary called 'The Rise And Fall Of The Big 8.' It's got some great vintage and historic footage and is told by the DJs and rock stars whose careers were made by this station's airplay and many events of the era. Check it out.

Deuces likes this.
  9. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

There was post about how our cars bring us back in time. Well when that old AM radio you so carefully restored comes on in your car, it instantly jars you back to the present. Better to leave it as a decoration and use a hidden devise for your tunes.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chebby belair and Tri-power37 like this.
  11. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

We are really lacking any old school am radio stations that play any 50s 60s 70s am classic style music 102.5 KZOK fm Seattle is a great station. You can find AM greatest hits type CDs and play them through a hidden or under dash CD player. Some of the CDs even have old commercials playing between the songs. When I think of the pristine dashes I butchered up to get a stereo in some pretty nice cars back in the day - someone should send the TERMINATOR back in time to terminate me!

Deuces likes this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Will do!!!!!..... Thanks!.... :)

ramblin dan likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the 1950s an early 60s, me most all other teens had a AM Transistor radio the size of a pack of Camels,even had a ear bud plug for tunes when driving. Some super cool rock n roll was played. Tunes started to suck by 65{The Beatles screwed things up bad} never liked them at all. True AM dose not play good rock n roll any longer { 50s to early 60s,nor dose FM} so now I cheat with a chip player hiding under my dash with 200 50s n early 60s< no sucky bugs tunes on my chip.
    It's likely a few young guys think the cool old rock an roll had too much high tone sound,singing in high falsetto. Beside that sounded really cool and was very fun to try an sing along too! DID YOU KNOW our little transistor radios could make those high falsetto sound very good,but not low base well at all{ tiny little speaker about as big as 25cent coin. Many songs were made to sound good on what all the kids had.................. Not all that many cars had factory radios. The tiny little button pad is only give a way to chip tunes now,my cheat in same old hot rod I drove to high school in 1960. 014.JPG

14. Deuces

Deuces

Anyone ever own one of those hand held Rapsody AM transistor radios????.....

15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Radio. AM and FM, is pretty much dead anymore. Sure, there are a few good stations, but most are now simply repeaters, repeating something off a computer somewhere. And they all have the same playlists for whatever music you're listening to, so most of the old stuff you remember may never even get played, only the more popular stuff. I listen to XM in my truck, and even the classic rock stations they get in a rut and play the same thing over and over a lot.

When I was a kid, I loved it when it got dark and the clear channel stations took over the airwaves, WLW in Cincy, WLS in Chicago, WWL in New Orleans, etc. Don't know if they still have clear channels like that anymore, I haven't got an AM radio worth a damn that will pick up anything.

williebill likes this.
  16. Got the same crap here. No music of any kind on AM in the Portland, OR area. FM is pretty bad too. Lots of crappy poOp music.
    My iPod is my best friend.

17. Religion, Politics, and Sports around here and thus why I never listen to AM.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep.

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

AM or FM Even if there were a decent station, seems like there's 5 minutes of advertisement every 5 minutes, and usually really bad advertisements on top of that. Drives me nuts, I can't believe anybody really listens to that. The stations that do play music play the same tunes several times on the same day day after day.

Seems to me a real oldies station could go for days without ever playing the song twice. We're told that's what listeners want, but I don't believe that.

Deuces and 1953naegle like this.
  20. A few years ago I was coming through Nashville and there was an AM station playing old 50s songs. Don't remember the call letters, and didn't hear it again last time I was through there.
    Maybe I was in a time warp!!:eek:

Deuces likes this.
  21. greybeard360

greybeard360

My gf has an OT VW vert that had a dead din type radio in it. Doing some online shopping I learned that most new radios don't have AM ..... In fact the one she ended up buying is FM only.

But!! It has a USB port, an SD slot and aux Jack for iPod and is Bluetooth. Neat thing is it looks like an old radio. Has volume and tuning knobs.

All for $27.00 ...... Wow

Deuces likes this.
  22. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

Nothing but talk and Mexican music around here on AM. It is cool at night when you can pick up a good station from far away.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

650 WSM has the Grand Old Opry and plays all kinds of classic country. It comes in here good at night, especially in the wintertime. Can pick up stations as far west as Utah and the big east coast stations like Boston, south as far as Nawlins, Cuber, and north as far as Canada.

PhilA likes this.
  24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My caddy has an AM radio...………...always on an oldies station...…….and I hate oldies music

Truck64 likes this.
  25. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...In my 51 chevy I have a 6 volt am radio and we listen to it. In New jersey we can get a oldie station WMTRAM 1250...it also can be played/heard on the computer...I do not know if it will be heard in other states using a computer? I think it would, some one give it a try and let us know..miller

Deuces likes this.
  26. error404

error404
    from CA

Armstrong and Getty on 810 AM every morning driving to work. I don't always agree with everything they say, but damn if they aren't funny :D

Deuces likes this.
  27. Speed~On

Speed~On

I'm still trying to tune in some Social Distortion on my 1930's AM radio;)

[​IMG]

Gangrene, dana barlow and Deuces like this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-16_3-34-8.png
    Hello,

We were the hand me downs from our dad as far as transistor radios were concerned. He went to baseball games at the old Gilmore Field in L.A. when he could and listened to other games after Dodgers moved to L.A. He had a string of small portable hand held transistor radio units over the years. He would use them until a newer one with better sound came out, then he would give the old ones to the two brothers.

Since my brother had his car radio, I usually got the small hand held one first. Tying them on our handlebars of the Schwinn bikes was cool and envied by others.

Those early AM radio models were the music scene in my first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. Since it did not come with a radio and I could not afford to put one in the dash, the hanging Sony AM transistor radio was the “band on the move.” As a teenager, any music played loud enough from a 2 inch speaker was “music to our ears.” So, when we got in my friend’s 57 Chevy, his in dash radio had 4 speakers and made that open cavern sound like a concert.

Jnaki

These two old Sony transistor radios are still sitting around in a storage container up in the closet shelves, next to an original Sony Cassette Player and a more modern Sports Sony Player. There is even one Sony AM/FM Player that is the exact size of a cassette and only slides up to open for the cassette insert. Time marches on…

In a different format:
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ot-rod-or-custom.1119739/page-4#post-12726259

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-what-works-good.1039238/page-2#post-11940219
    upload_2019-9-16_3-34-57.png
    Hello,
    Somewhere I read that if you have your stereo on loud and can’t hear the sound of your car, you are missing out on the best part of owning that car. When we were driving around in the salmon pink (racing Orange) 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in 1961-64, we did not have a honking stereo. We had my small red or white Sony AM, portable, hand held radio. The red one was my dad’s as he used it to listen to baseball games. Mine was a white one similar in build and leather cover.

complete story …
    JNAKI, MAR 4, 2017

29. 32Stoker

32Stoker

Forget iPod wired systems. Bluetooth is the way to go. All the oldies you love from your device playlist with small (wireless) BT speakers hidden under your seats. Leave the original radio in your dash for looks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  30. 1953naegle likes this.