Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's my rearend made of???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoon, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Spoon

Spoon

A good welding buddy of mine is telling me the rearend housing on my 1950 Shoebox Ford is cast iron so I'll have to preheat and use a high nickel rod/wire in order to weld the barcket for my panhard bar onto it. I'm not so sure. But it would explain why I'm having so much trouble.

Anybody???

Here's some random pics...

Attached Files:

2. LowFat48

LowFat48

does it have a bolt in center section like a 9" ford ?

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It looks like mild steel from the construction. Looking at the work area, it doesn't look like it was cleaned very well. Did you grind the surface before trying to weld it?

If it is an iron housing, you could use a bolt on bracket for the panhard bar.

4. The carrier is cast iron.

The housing and axle ends are mild steel or very close.

You don't want to be welding to the carrier.

If you have no other choice, but to terminate the panhard bar near the carrier make a mild steel bracket that bolts to three studs on the carrier - use some longer studs - and weld the pivot to the bracket.

5. Mild steel housing and cast center section only......
    It looks :) decievingly like your panhard bar is mounted directly in the center of the top of housing and would hit the top of pumpkin during it's travel....is that your problem?

6. Spoon

Spoon

OK... yes the surface is clean.
    I didn't know there was more than one piece here. I'll have to clean more crap off and investigate further.
    No, the bracket is not in the center. It's just tacked on a little fwd and tilted fwd as well. It'll clear.

Cool fellas. If only the carrier is iron, that helps me out alot!
    You guys come though again.

Thanks alot!!!!!