Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, Nov 17, 2018.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

To bright on my end, original ones were right for me.

2. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I look at the topic more than the price. A good price for a less desirable car (4 door I this case) doesn't mean it's a good deal unless you are shopping for a 4 door. Anything would be too much for me, it has too many doors for what I want. 4 doors are hard sells. Just another take on it.
    SPark

upspirate likes this.
  3. You were thinking outlaw, I was thinking about the guy trying to catch him. It's a matter of course the two trades could make use of similar cars. It's fun to build someone else's car that he doesn't even own yet! I'm really hoping we see a picture of it on a homebound trailer soon.

4. In that condition, it would be a $5-6000+ car up here in New England all day long, even if it didn’t run. But if you are one of those “I hate them four doors - I would rather have my nads impaled with a rusty spike than own one” kind of guy, then any price would basically be too much, right ?

I kind of agree with LM14, if you are looking to flip it and make money, good luck with that. In the end, if it’s not the car you really want then it will put you $3k (plus all the money you are going to blow on it) away from getting the car you really want.

If you dig it, great deal for a survivor like that.

I would buy that sucker in a short minute.

There was a red ‘59 4 door Ford Fairlane with a 3 on the tree and a strait six for sale in Maine last year for $3900, not as cool as that ‘57, in similar condition, and I thought that was a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. I'd make an E or even an F code clone out of it. I'd even try to find an overdrive transmission.

6. I viewed the twin to this last summer at a local dealer auction. $1850. Looked like a matching bookend to this with very nice black paint, a few ripples but very very solid.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that's a good price where I live. 2 doors, 4 doors I really never cared. I had a bunch of just regular old cars like that back in the 80's and early 90's. buy them, fart around with them, drive them, and then sell them. make a few bucks on one. lose a few bucks on another.... except my 61 Dodge, been stuck with that ugly bastard for 30 years now.:)

kbgreen likes this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to show the dark areas that can't be seen otherwise.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did ya buy it, B?

10. Sporty45

Sporty45

How hard is a 2 door conversion on these? I see tri 5 Chevs being done every so often, wonder if it's feasible on the Fords?

11. Squablow

Squablow

Just like the tri-5 Chevy's, this car shares it's floor pan, roof skin, and wheelbase with the 2 door sedan model. A pair of 2 door sedan doors (from a Custom model only, Fairlane is different) and the B pillars and forward sections of the rear quarter panels would be all it would take to convert this car to a 2 door sedan. You'd also have to do something different with the seats, and the quarter trim would have to be welded together, or have a seam in it, or be replaced, although those pieces are incredibly expensive.

I have not done a '57 Ford Custom but I've done a lot of 2 door conversions and they are not as hard as some would believe. This car isn't bad looking as a 4 door but the desirability would be 10x as a 2 door. Price seems great to me, either way.

12. catdad49

catdad49

Did You Get It?!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. bedwards

bedwards

Well, I'm going to disappoint you guys. I got there around lunch. The car was pretty much represented in the pics. It has been repainted and someone put flat black paint on the front fenders. The chrome looked real good. Front and two door windows were cracked. Tires ok. Had water in the floor but the floors looked good underneath. Some rot in the right front fender and on the rear between the body and bumper. Has had sketchy repair done on both corners behind the rear window all the way to the trunk lid. Front lights weren't rotten like a lot of them are. Doors and windows all worked better than my car. Interior was original and dirty will need new windlace, kickpanels and a headliner. Will need new door and trunk seals. Had around 60000 on the clock and had no reason not to believe it. None of the gauges worked. No brake or headlights but the turn signals did. Had a new gas tank but the guys idea of a new gas line was a rubber hose run to the front. Master cylinder was dry and topped it off to get good pedal. Has generator replaced with alternator. Trunk had water in it but no rot either. Had to feed it gas down the carb to get it to run. It took a very long time but we finally got it to run on its own and drove it around the block. Engine ran well and was quiet, tranny a little quirky but got better as I drove it. Then, while bargaining in the driveway with it idling, it died and we never got it to pick up fuel again. Think the fuel pump died and I don't have a trailer.
    Long and short, I worked my butt off for a couple hours, got it running and driving and got frustrated when the fuel pump died. I didn't buy it and the guy told me to call if I changed my mind.
    Now I'm aggravated at myself for not consummating the deal but I just got cold feet.

Clay Belt likes this.
  14. Sorry you didn't get the result you wanted. If you do change your mind, call him with an offer 20% less than whatever you arrived at while dickering.
    Or cut you minimal loss.
    Question - Did you like the car?

15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me, if I miss something or not buy"...its meant to be....Don't look back but don't get over anxious and make a mistake. ....$$'s are always good, there are millions of cars and not too many lined up with money.. Good Luck.

RMONTY and chevy57dude like this.
  16. bedwards

bedwards

I didn't like it enough to want to fix all the little problems. I own one four door and really need to find a 2 door I guess. I tend to buy them and keep them. I forgot to mention, it will need bushings in the front also.
    I just didn't have to have it and it was going to take a fair amount of work to make it safe and driveable. At least where I would put my wife in it who buy the way patiently sat for at least 2 hours without a complaint. =]

thank you for all your interest

32Dan, Latigo, warhorseracing and 8 others like this.
  17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well it's a lot better to have spent/wasted a couple of hours fiddling with it and not buy it than not go and then wonder if you you passed on something nifty. It still might be a deal for someone willing to put some work and cash in it but I am with you on the two doors. Buddy had one in trade school that he had painted lime fire green that turned out to be one of the prettiest 57 Fords I ever saw. He worked in his dad's gas station across the street from the Ford dealership and bought the first crate motor I ever saw and that was a 390 that he put in along with a brand new in 1966 bought over the counter Ford 4 speed. He saved for that thing so hard he wouldn't even go out for a burger with us.

1949*john and bedwards like this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got some ideas/opinions and gave it a chance. Followed your gut instinct. No disappointment...I'm sure it worked out for the best.
    Cheers to the women who stand by us!

Texas57, czuch and upspirate like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

does your wife have a sister?

Texas57 likes this.
  20. 47ragtop

47ragtop

Talking one's self into buying anything, especially, an old car usually means a Disaster later . Later Bill

21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That’s what I thought, we’re sick

The37Kid likes this.
  22. bedwards

bedwards

Yeah, they are both pretty patient. It helps though that I took her to get nails and brows done the day before so she couldn't complain much. You get smarter as you get older.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

nails and brows done... thank you I'll pass ;)

24. If it was close to me I'd be taking a look, make quite a sleeper with a built up 460 and a C6. The trick is the car is complete and much of what it needs is available.

25. catdad49

catdad49

At least you tried! Seems that your wife is a trooper, did she voice an opinion? Have you figured what it would cost to cure it's ills, just for the heck of it? Thanks for sharing, Carp.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  26. bedwards

bedwards

The car was complete down to the jack and the spare.
    Wife was game, she's good about that. It would really be a downer to not have her on board because she does the cruise-ins, swap meets and Dairy Queen day trips with me.
    The car is still tempting. It's still there today. The fuel pump and wiring gremlins would be easy, the fuel line would be a job but not that hard. The brakes need done, has a leaking cylinder somewhere. Don't know how well the interior would clean up but it was neat as it was all original. The rest it little nit-shit stuff like kick panels and wind lace.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    chevy57dude likes this.
  27. flatford39

flatford39

If the rust isn't terrible than offer $1,800.00 and see where that goes. Sounds like you are still interested.

bedwards likes this.
  28. F&J

F&J

Aahh...just go buy it :D

Everyone here thinks it is freaking cool! "Hamb Approved" lol

low budget and bedwards like this.
  29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Take her someplace decent.
    The rubber fuel line has a long suck.
    I did one once to get it home, and that worked so I drove it to work, and that worked till I got on the freeway, then, at the crucial moment it didn't. After a couple days of looking we realized it collapsed under load.
    That could be part of the problem. just sayin
    Standing water is always a bugger. That said, it also means no holes.
    Which side of that sword do you want to ride.
    Like said, offer $1800.00 and splain it will eat the rest to get repairs.
    Geeex, if he's takin it to a mechanic he'll understand and be glad to unload it.

bedwards likes this.