Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, Nov 17, 2018.

1. bedwards

bedwards

I know its not particularly collectable, but do you have an opinion on what its worth?
    Craigslist 2850$ 57 custom 6cyl 3 speed looks bone stock but will run only on a shot in the carb.
    have not been to see it yet, might go tomorrow 00W0W_7Nh4FC1JKFy_1200x900.jpg 00x0x_4TUJSuh2Qbq_1200x900.jpg 00404_i5BUDHOklIy_1200x900.jpg 01414_9qBrEvWecnV_1200x900.jpg
    add says: "The following parts have been replaced Fuel tank Fuel lines Spark plugs New solenoid
    Battery Distributor Cap Wires It will need a new clutch soon. It's in my garage. Make me an offer."

thanks again

clem, czuch, warhorseracing and 3 others like this.
  2. So you mean $2850 or offer? Looks like a damn nice car.
    Straight, black and no rust, you're crazy not to jump on it. Pretty badass base model 4 door. I like it!

Cosmo49, Texas57, clem and 3 others like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

our opinions are just that.

I look at it as if a person likes vintage daily drivers instead of a same priced 12 year old modern car with 150,000 miles...I'd buy the 57 if I lived where it would not rot away from salt.

very simple car with a dependable standard trans vs, a leaky old costly A/T, easy to maintain overall with the 6, maybe ok on mpg..

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Whether it runs or not it's certainly worth $2850. If it does, and you have to replace the fuel tank, lines, and fuel pump, that's a steal. If you have to put an engine in it, it's still a deal.

flatford39 likes this.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

That would make a nice daily commuter, go for it.

6. bedwards

bedwards

ok, will go tomorrow and see what i can do

thanks for your input

7. williebill

williebill

You might try to go early, since you've told everyone in HAMBland about it. If it isn't a rotted POS in person, I'd buy it, and I'm not looking to buy anything these days. Simple, but very interesting.

LSGUN, lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  8. green53ford

green53ford
    from Wisconsin

Looks like a bargain to me.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Sporty45

Sporty45

Damn, if I lived in AL I would be all over it! Good luck, and let us know how you make out :cool:

10. catdad49

catdad49

Jump on it! Hope you get there before it's gone.

11. The image that keeps popping up in my mind is an ''executive car'', special ordered. Think police chief. Base model, blackwalls / poverty caps.
    [​IMG]
    Imagine this with the manual box behind it. 9'' existed then, we'll check that option box. How about the rear steelies an inch wider, like from a slightly newer model?
    Dude, it's the black paint. It just kills. Offer $2300, you can always bump up to his #.

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

Well I'm not necessarily a Ford guy, definitely not a 4dr guy, but I'd be on that like a hound dog on a soup bone @ $2850 or offer.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Sound advice from a Chevy guy, I'd go for it too if I was closer. Bob

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That car has been on CL for a few weeks now. Definitely looks to be in better shape than the 56 210 Chevy I looked at today.....

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Up here if it’s as clean as it looks in the pics
    3-5 grand

Great deal, go man go

slowmotion and chevy57dude like this.
  16. This is why the OP is going to crawl under it and look really hard!
    Geez, original door panels and seat covers. Check out the brake and clutch pedal pads, possibly replaced but they match the rest of it for condition.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Looks like a good buy from here, as long as it has no major rust issues. 3 speed manual, I am dreaming up all kinds of V8 swaps.
    Think Highway Patrol

18. I’m a pretty die hard Chevy guy, but for that money, I’d cruise the living s&@t outa that bad boy!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slowmotion likes this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

Let's hope the seller is not reading this thread....

20. The only thing not mentioned is the fuel pump. For a cheap easy fuel pump replacement I would buy it as long as the under side looks as good as the body.

21. bedwards

bedwards

the way he talked, I imagine either the carb is full of gunk or the fuel pump is bad

lothiandon1940 and chevy57dude like this.
  22. bedwards

bedwards

I hope not. He said he is not a car guy and he has a mechanic. I'd hate to think what he paid someone else to put all that on the car.

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yep, different breed here but you get the idea.
    upload_2018-11-17_23-39-16.jpeg

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That '55 Chevy could change my mind about 4-doors.
    I like '57 Fords. Especially black ones. Maybe even that 4-door...
    ...if it was done like up like the '55.
    Is it worth it?
    As the others said...as long as it's not too rusty, that's a good price and I doubt you'd ever lose money if you sold it in the future. In fact, if you get 'er spiffed up and running and driving good without spending too much and eventually sold it, you'd probably make a few bucks.
    But...
    A couple of things to consider.
    Is it the type of car you've been dreaming of? If it is, BUY IT!
    If it's not, I'd say you could enjoy this one for a while and sell it later...maybe for a small profit. Then upgrade to something closer to what really turns your crank...maybe a 2-door.
    EXCEPT!...(lol) I'll be the devil's advocate...
    If you're on a limited budget...(which is most of us) and a few days after you buy this car, you see what you REALLY want in great shape and for a steal. And you're like...crap...if I'd only shopped around a little more. In that case, maybe this car wouldn't be "worth it". You guys down south have a much better selection of solid cars than we do up here. Sometimes makes me wish I lived there. Maybe there's an even better car for you.
    Just wanted to screw you up a little...I mean, try to help. Lol.
    Good luck, tomorrow! Seriously.
    Look at it close. Look for repairs. Take a flashlight and maybe a small magnet.
    Let us know how it goes!

czuch and belair like this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

1ee2f5e2b1a0a4f80687ebf3208e4122.jpg If it checks out, buy it.

Bob

1949*john, czuch, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anybody else do this?
    I download pics from ads for cars I might be interested in...and then increase the brightness. It allows me to see where it was previously too dark to.
    I brightened a couple of your pics. Still can't see a lot, but I don't see holes.
    And I look at the wear on pedals pads too...as chevy57dude mentioned. You can see they look good. They're not smooth from use.
    00x0x_4TUJSuh2Qbq_1200x900.jpg
    00404_i5BUDHOklIy_1200x900.jpg
    00W0W_7Nh4FC1JKFy_1200x900.jpg

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

It'd have to be pretty soft underneath to pass at that price. I've always had a little 'thing' for the '57 Fords ever since the first time I saw Robert Mitchum wheeling that bad-boy coupe...
    After you've had your fun with it, take it to Dawsonville next year and double you money in ten minutes.....:D

28. I love the look of that 55! This 57 Ford would look great like that too. I’m thinking 390 and keep the 3 on the tree for the sleeper look. It really does look like something that you could have hauled some liquor in back in the day!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chevy57dude likes this.
  29. Ok, it's tomorrow already. The early bird gets the Ford!
    Status/update?

30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

What him say^^^^^^^

catdad49 and chevy57dude like this.