Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's it worth please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by I'ma oldguy, Apr 6, 2020.

1. I'ma oldguy

I'ma oldguy

Hi ,I have a friend who has an old 350 short block hooked up to a Zephyr transmission. It's been in his garage since '83. The engine is supposed to be rebuilt or even new ( back then ) no carb,dist, manifolds,water pump so I told him most guys would take it apart to see what condition it's in before they'd bolt it in = more money to invest in it. ,I don't know anything about the trans but he thinks it's Gold. This is in a stock '36 Ford frame . What's your opinion on the price for engine trans combo and separately the frame ? This is N Ca. I think he thought the trans Was a '39 . All this stuff was his Dad's and he has passed away. My friend will never use the stuff. And I thought I could put the 350 / Zephyr trans in my '30 model A coupe. What's so special about a Zephyr Transmission ?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. AZbent

AZbent

I just paid $200 for a center bolt 350 with about 150,000 All accessories included. And the 700r4 that was rebuilt about 20,000 ago was still booked to it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. It would really depend on your locale.
    Fill out your location and you might get more replies.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. For just a bare long block ??
    In Canadian money no more then $250
    As you said, at minimum your pulling it apart to inspect.

the trans I have no clue.

I’ve seen t5’s for 200 - 1000 bucks
    C4’s from 100-700
    Th350’s from free to silly money.

All depends if he can prove what if anything was done to it, but sitting since 83 it’s gonna need at minimum a tear down and inspection.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

OP says N. CA...in his post.

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'll drive up with $250 to take it off of his hands.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  7. If I understand the OP it is a 350 and a Zephyr trans. ("hooked up to"), if that's the case there would also be a transmission adapter value to be included as well.
    Frame value?..title?

8. BEEB97A1-989B-4299-A8B7-84D3B6C4A811.jpeg Zephyr geared trans had different ratios than Ford trans. Rumor has it they were “stronger” than Ford trans, but I can’t validate that. Someone who has more knowledge than me can offer a truthful opinion. The “what’s it worth” question can be answered——ask five knowledgeable people and get 5 different replies. Usually,typically, people who have a trans with Zephyr gears WANT more money than Ford trans; I cant offer a particular number ,but generally they command substantially more greenbacks than Ford trans.

9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

A common Chevy 350 that’s been laying around since the same year that the last episode of M.A.S.H was on TV .... not much . I don’t know what a zephyr trans is worth but I’d educate myself exactly what makes a zephyr transmission a zephyr transmission.

Nothing worse than being bullshitted into buying something that’s not what it’s supposed to be. Maybe some others can explain how to tell zephyr transmission when you see it - and what it’s worth.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Are you sure it's not a '39 trans with Zephyr gears in it? I'm not sure I know of anyone using the actual Zephyr case, usually just the guts go into a '39 case.

A '39 box with Zephyr gears is a real gem and worth good coin if it's in nice shape, if it's clean inside with good bearings and ready to go that could easily be a $1500 trans.

A 350 that's been sitting forever is like a $200 core to me and I couldn't give two shits about it, they're everywhere.

Also, in my opinion, the 39/Zephyr trans is a terrible trans for a 350. They're great behind a period flathead but they're not meant for really big horsepower, and there are tons of better suited transmissions for a 350 Chevy that aren't nearly as valuable or rare.

That engine and trans needs to be separated. Like a Stradivarius bow playing a plastic violin. Let that trans live behind someone's period correct rod engine and do whatever you want with the 350.

11. alchemy

alchemy

Around here the engine would be worth a couple hundred. Take the top off the trans and if it's really a 39 or later and there are no chipped gears it's worth $250 easy. If there are Zephyr gears (count the teeth) then add another $250. The adapter and all the flywheel and clutch should be worth at least $200.

12. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You might look a little closer at the 350, it could be an LT 1, which would make it worthwhile to grab.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

Do you really mean short block? That is an engine minus the heads. If it has been apart that long, it isn't worth much.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tri-power37 likes this.
  14. And he's an old guy..........?

ol'freighter likes this.
  15. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

What price does he have in mind? Pictures are always help full.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Worth a dollar 380..no pics it didn't happen..

17. 53 ford

53 ford

I had a 39 zephyr and the transmission is readily recognized by the shifter tower. The shifter is located on the right front of the transmission. The gears load from the right side of the transmission case.

Tri-power37 likes this.