Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Whats it worth ~ 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chainshot, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Chainshot

Chainshot

Runs and drives. New brakes, newer motor (late 90's 350 ci)turbo 400, 4.11 rear end. Old drag car with ladder bars. Completely stripped with exception of glass. I've been kicking around the idea of a Two Lane clone. Should I look for something better to start with ? I really like the patina on this one. No pitting of the sheet metal. But a few holes in the lower parts. I would be VERY tempted to not make a TLB car. Leave it as is, but make it a little more street/trip friendly. The radius on the qtrs. is too much for me. I like a radius qtr. But closer to the tire size. Too much air gap for me on this one. Would removing the bars close it up ? A larger tire ? Or patch it and put a lip on it ? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. Wicked50

Wicked50

What ever u want to pay for it

3. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

With a strong drive train, Solid Body . $$?? 2-3k Depending on how bad you want it?

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

If you can buy this for 2-3K you should have already.

I wouldn't change this one outside of a few things. Anyone can make a TLB clone. Not just anyone can find a car like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I'd change a few things...most of them are under the hood

6. I would think 8-9 grand would be a good price. If there is more to the motor than just stock 350 maybe more HP cost money you know. Under 5 g's would be a great deal, as in call me if you don't buy it kinda deal. Useless

7. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

whatever you do, dont get rid of that paint! if you fill in that wheel opening a bit, use minimal primer, just enough to cover the new metal and whatever's bare. that is a badass car, and i'd say preserve the history! if you make it a TLB clone, its history and originality is gone.

8. skullhat

skullhat

looks cool..............some tubing and a sheetmetal, you can close up those wheel wells real easy

skull

9. oldskew

oldskew
    from idaho

keep the history....i like hearing that, on other car sites they dont care about history...they just want anything for real cheap.....i think history means a ton so if you pick this thing up keep that going

10. mitch13

mitch13
    from mesa

fill in the quarters - but not too much. They ran 'em like this back in the day. Before you add metal, maybe first find a set of 16 x 11's and some big ass slicks!

11. A 4-door driver with fair to nice paint is $3500-$7500. My buddy thinks even shitty 2-doors are worth $2500 - and it's hard to argue locally because no one has them, you pretty much have to go out of state.

That particular car, were I selling it myself, and if I could document the history on, I'd be looking for at least $10,000 on it. As long as there's no frame rot in the area ahead of the rear axle and it runs and goes... you're not going to find one like that next week two blocks down the road. And I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe to backdate like the seat and stuff (and only then if I'm not racing it).

Without a documented history I'd say anything less than $7500 is still probably a steal. If you're looking to make it a street car, it doesn't make much of a difference, you can buy repop just about everything it would need except the factory bench seat and rear seat frames - and they can be had if you really want them.

I'm sure some will object to that opinion, but really, can you find comparable cars for sale for less money - and if you can, did they sell in more than about a day or two?

12. kelzweld

kelzweld

Other side of the world here so no idea on price, but wanted to add, don't paint that. More rear tyre and a big block. Too cool.

13. skunx1964

skunx1964

doesnt look like a late 90s motor, at least not the heads. perimeter valve cover bolts went until 87 only.

14. Why the hell would you even consider painting that?

15. madwrencher

madwrencher
    from ohio

It's cool as hell you can't really find them like that any more unless you get lucky.

16. |Tom|

|Tom|

Too Right

17. aceuh

aceuh

No idea what it's worth....but I'd drive it just like it is!

18. junk fiend

junk fiend

period correct wheels on the back with some taller piecrusts. and it would be bad ass.

you can TLB another 55 not a OG drag car, thats not cool

19. wow! excellent man !!

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

$5,000,,,,,,,,,but if you plan to paint it then don't buy it

21. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

+1 Definitely don't paint it.

22. mtrhead

mtrhead

price..... with a car that cool just buy it. you only live once.:D as for the rest i would try some bigger tires to close that gap up, make it a little more street friendly and call it a day. doesn't look like it needs all that much.. cool car

23. Wow....I can,t believe you would even consider changing anything on it. At least a $10,000.00 car in my eyes.If it,s authentic that is. Get it,s history!

24. Unless your name is Falfa (I think that right) I probably wouldn't go the 2 lane blacktop route with it. If indeed you buy it build it your way. Clones are for drones.

I can't see the pics 'cause I'm at work and linked pics don't fly here. So I really can't answer your other questions but project cars seem to start at a grand anymore and go up from there if that helps.

25. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

DO NOT PAINT THAT CAR!!!! Buy it and Ill trade ya a 57 two door for it!!!

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

SamIam needs that car...he will not paint it and run the living dog fuck out of it..

27. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Damn, I would have to agree some one took the butcher saw when they did the rear wheel wells. I wouldn't paint it, try to mask it with a bigger tire. You need to put a firewall between you and that fuel cell. Just a piece of aluminum in the trunk should do it.

WTF is that handle at the drivers seat? Appears to be a fuel shut off valve?

28. Paul Y

Paul Y

I 'think' that is a privative linelock.....

Agree with the majority, keep it as is. Close up the rear wheel opening and throw a big block and a 4 speed in it and you are good to go.

P.:D

29. DO NOT PAINT IT.....seriously everyone wants patina and original lettering, don't even think about changing anything.
    -Dean

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the TLB 55 just because its a 55, otherwise it is boring and has been copied to death.
    This car looks to be the real deal kind of car to me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009