Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats it worth? 1957 Chevy Wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by justnicholas, Jul 14, 2010.

1. justnicholas

justnicholas

I have been scanning classifieds for days just itching to buy a fun car as a daily driver. I was wondering what you guys think this car is worth

So it is a 1957 4 Door Chevy Station Wagon
    Seats 9 with 3 rows (Back seat splits 60/40)
    Ad says nice interior
    Its got a 350 and a turbo 350 tranny
    Original stainless stock clock and radio
    and it originally only had 92,000 miles

I donnu if its all true cause I havn't seen it in person. I was wondering what its worth even if the paint is fading and has some rust and minor problems. Just worst (well not worst) case scenario because the ads always make it seem better than you see it in person.

You guys know your stuff so I appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

2. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

there is only 3 prices 1 how much does he want, 2 how much do you want to pay 3 and where you settle.............2 is the most important

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If the trans is good and it's not running on seven cylinders and puking oil, I'd have to say that's nearly a $10K car. Reliable, good body/interior '57 Chevys don't grow on trees.

It looks like a pretty good car, from the minimal pics. It'd make a GREAT daily driver.

-Brad

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

looks like a onepiece front bumper---car looks pretty good. i'd side with Brad at about the $10,000.00 range, but jump in and wail. You could score big---at least go see it in person.

5. justnicholas

justnicholas

He said paint on the bottum is bubbling and the floorboard needs to be replaced. He said it also overheats a little when it is idling or on the freeway for too long.

Whats it worth? Help. If he would sell it for $8,000 would it be worth it? I am looking for a steal on the price cause I am gonna go to college soon and rack up some massive debt so I don't want anything unless its a pretty nice deal.

6. henry29

henry29

If its rusty underneath then $8,000 isn't a steal, if it isn't really bad then it could be a fair price.

I would think he would take less than the $7,936 that he has it advertised for.

7. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Throw 5k at it and yes/no walk away.
    Tomorrow, call him back and tell him then offer is still open.
    He'll know youre serious. Just dont be a jerk about it. Its worked for me.

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

looks like a great daily driver $8,000 would be tops

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

If the floorboards are shot put the car on a lift and see how much rot the rest of it has,but even a solid 4-door wagon is not an $8000 bargain.If not to must other than floorboards offer $5500,get it at that or keep looking.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

X2 on getting it on a lift to check the underside, it will reveal a multitude of sins. If he is reluctant to let you get it on a hoist..........WALK!!!

Frank

11. S.Sutherland

S.Sutherland
    from Fontana,CA

You'd probably be better off finishing college and driving your truck. In California 10,000 will get through five quarters at a state university and 8 will pay fer four. If its overheating on the freeway theres probably more to it than it just running a little hot.
    Good Luck,
    Seth

12. Thumper

Thumper

With what your saying.....I figure about $6,500 tops. There ain't a lot of 9 passenger wagons around these days.

13. davis574ord

davis574ord

the interior lokks pretty good from what i could see you should be able to get it for $5000.00 but most definatly put it up on a lift for sure! good luck wagons are cool!

14. Hold out for a 2 door.

15. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I've been looking around here in south Texas and I'd say $8000 would be a good buy if it doesn't have major engine problems. The fact that it has trouble at idle and on the highway doesn't sound good. I've seen total rust buckets with no engine/trans and four flat tires selling for around $4500. If the engine is bad it's not that expensive to rebuild a SBC. Good luck with it.

16. rgaller

rgaller

Why would be looking at a car like this if you're going off to college? Shouldn't you be saving as much $$ as you can? :confused:

17. Old Cars Price Guide says around $6500 for a #4 car - that's one that's not perfect but is drivable. #3 jumps to around $14,000.

18. DHill

DHill
    from NC

I like wagons 6500 to 8500 would be a good price. But then again there are not out there everyday.

19. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

if it has serious rust issues and you do not have the time or skills, no price is a good deal.

20. The fuel line is feeding the carb in a strange way. Does it have an electric pump ? Gas tank issues with a wagon requires dropping the rear axle.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I doubt if that will be a fun car to drive while in college as the "repair costs" will drain your wallet. Buy something more dependable so you can focus on college.

22. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Nine passenger wagons are pretty rare these days, that's a huge plus in the unique factor. There's also a HUGE market for these cars, and the repro parts industry reflects that; almost anything you might need is still available. BUT, for a driver, I would be more worried about thieves and vandals than anything else. IF you truly want the car, show up with $6500.00 in hand. I'm with a couple of others on school however, it HAS to come first; a degree will get you a lot farther than a 57 Chevrolet ever will. Butch/56sedandelivery.