Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's it like in the back of phaeton/tourer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willo_96, Feb 19, 2014.

1. metal man

metal man

29EHv8, that is very cool. I really like your car and I admire you for including your family. You're creating precious memories there. I was raised the same way....in a roadster and a coupe, and so were my kids. They're 18 and 24 now and have a lot of hot rod,camping,vacation stories to tell their kids some day.

2. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

Our kids had the same problem daughter would sit in the middle and her hair would flick in the boys faces ,we ran a pretty good set of side curtains on long trips,but they eventually grew up and got their own cars ,,now they come and borrow the tub ,,,their kids will soon be feeling the same problem,,,

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Open phaeton and touring cars started going out of fashion in the mid twenties when road speeds started creeping up over 35 MPH. An open car can be nice on a sunny day if you keep the speed down. 1936 was about the last of the open car with side curtains. Some convertible sedans with roll up windows were made up to 1939 but that was about it.

There were accessory rear windshields, and dual cowl phaeton bodies that reduced wind buffetting to the rear passengers. But not many people chose an open touring over a sedan for every day driving.

4. Here's a few (circa 1973) pics of plywude's '33 Aussie Phaeton (before he repainted it red and added a black top):

plywude's '33 Phaeton @ Lodi '73.jpg plywude's '33 Phaeton - NCEI caravan to Andy's Picnic (Aug '73).jpg plywude's '33 Phaeton @ Santa Barbara Rod Run in '73.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

5. timothale

timothale

AIR FLOW I used to keep an old blanket rolled up and stuffed under the seat toblock the air from whipping around, have some one Use short piece of yarn while sitting in the back seat to see what direction the air moves and what you can do to minimumize turbulance. the old willys jeepster wasn't too bad up to 60 mph.