Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's it cost to strip chrome??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Got an old set of rams horns that i'd like to get rechromed, would it just be easier just to get anouther set and polish them or have these stripped and repolish and dip them

BTW i am doing all my prep because i cant afford to get it done.

2. you could attempt to sand blast them, depending on the quality of chrome it may work. Setting up your own reverse plating tank can be tricky. most plating shops will do it, but i have no idea the cost in your area

3. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Be careful about doing your own prep work when it comes to chrome....most shops I've ever dealt with will either not work on the peice or re-prep it anyway so they know it's done correctly. you may just be wasting your time...I would pick a shop and talk to them about it...

4. 1930roadster

1930roadster

Dont waste your time, all or most shops will strip at no charge as long as you are getting it chromed by them. Most say they rather you not get involved in the process and will usually cost you more in the long run.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Done correctly?? what is there to screw up?? everything i've had done before, i just sanded and polished until it was beyond perfect

6. adam401

adam401

That's a good question. It would be cool if there was a chrome shop guy on here who could answer. I've wondered the same thing myself for some custom bumpers I am going to build. I've blasted chrome off before (makes a crazy green color flame thing) but never brought the parts to be rechromed.

7. What he says - the people I use will strip chrome for free for me even if I'm nbot having it chromed again - they just do it because I'm a regular. So I guess it can cost much. Only takes a couple of hours to do.

If you blast it they will have to put much longer into repolishing - and that's where the main cost of chroming lies.

8. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

By Ram's Horns, I assume you mean the cast iron deals that came on Corvettes years ago. There are a lot of variables that can't be answered without seeing them.

If they were in my shop, I would elctrostrip the chrome plating and any rust. Then blast them inside and out, then sand and polish for plating. The chrome is a very thin plating that is quite easy to strip; it is the nickel that is much thicker. The good news is that if the nickel is in good shape, it can be plated over (this is important for areas that aren't polished.) If the nickel is in bad shape, it will blast off.

Take them to whatever plater you use and see what they tell you, everyone is different and has different capabilities and setups. If you came to me and wanted to do your own prep work, I would do the stripping I mentioned above, then give them back to you and tell you to have fun. If you want to do your own stripping, I will have to approve it before putting the parts into my tanks. ALL rust, chrome, dirt, grease, and any loose plating must be gone.

9. dgmchrome

dgmchrome

Shaggy as long as you stripped the original plating off as far as you could ,and prepared them to your expectation they can be plated with no problems..
    The proper way is to blast ,if possilbe all the areas that don't show.
    Paint and grease MUST be removed . when a part has chrome on it and is in decent shape (no rust or corrosion ) all of the nickle doesn't have to be stripped.
    When we strip a part, its the nickle that is being stripped, chrome comes off within 10 seconds .Chrome is like a clear. If you can prepare you part with the nickle (polished) to your expectations ,the part is then ready for acid copper or bright nickle,depending on the kind of job that is being done.
    If you need anymore info you can email me ([email protected]) or call @ 215-331-0960 Don

10. Clark

Clark

One thing to be aware of. I did a header and took it to the plater to have it stripped and replated. He wouldn't touch it. he wanted it cooked out first. He said a used header or manifold has carbon in it and it would ruin his tanks. I had it cooked and also blasted the inside to be sure it was clean.
    Clark