Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's involved with filling the roof on a model a sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by willbierfarms, Nov 27, 2013.

1. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I'm thinking hard about filling the roof on this model a I bought. Is there a good aftermarket kit for this project? What's involved with doing this and are there any tricks I need to know

2. Noland

Noland

there are many threads on this. Alot of people use skins from other cars or vans. It involves welding and taking your time.

3. charlieb66

charlieb66

You must go slow with the welding. Unless you are an accomplished welder with sheet metal you should not try it, the top may wind up FUBAR.

4. txturbo

txturbo

its not that difficult if you gas weld it and hammer the welds as you go along.

5. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

Go to a junk yard find a nice Chevy van or a station wagon with some nice beads in it...I used like a 90's 18 person van roof cut it off with a sawzall then flipped the back of it to the front of the sedan and just cut the excess off gave some nice beads in the roof

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. That's so follow the crowd like 70's-80's stuff. What's wrong with the new way,,, a soft insert? It's much easier than you think. It's also CHEEP, and it doesn't require Bondo.
    The Wizzard

7. Mo rust

Mo rust

I made several cross bars with some crown in the middle for my 30 sedan and the used a flat peice of 20 gauge and worked it out from the center moving back. All the donor roofs that I could find had ribs in them which is a look that I don't care for.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  8. nickleone

nickleone

Look at AMC Eagle wagons. Also if there is a van conversion shop in your area where they put raised roofs on full size vans you may get a roof cut off for free.

Nick

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

I'm with Phoenix5x on going with a van roof for a filler. I like the way the ribs break up the span, and used a late 80's Chevy conversion van roof with ribs that were up,not indented.If you cut the roof off and flip it around (front to back) the curve on the back of the sedan fits really well.I also ended up with about 4 ft. of extra roof material, and cut the ends of the ribs off that and welded them to the front of the new sedan roof to blend it all in over the visor. Send me an e-mail address, and I'll send you pictures (anyone who's interested).I dragged my feet about chopping and filling, but what a difference! 3" chop. Good luck! Mike from Mass. :cool:

10. I am from the school of thought that the original soft tops are correct in appearance and are as traditional as the day is long.

It's not that hard to do and IMHO the filled,ribbed tops remind me of the 80's slick look,,but that's just me. HRP

11. I should have also said if you can drive a Tack hammer and read a tape measure you can do a stock type insert at home yourself.
    The Wizzard

12. That's what I think too. I just don't think it's worth the work.

Post some pic's if you do it...

13. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

See I like it both ways. The cloth top looks great but so does a we done filled roof I'm not down with the ribs tho it has a Boyd, little jon look while they built great stuff I'm not a billet guy. I don't have the gas welding skill to do it but I can swing a tack hammer like a tweaker on a three day buzz

14. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I found a 72 suburban, I am hoping to get the roof off it. Think it would work?

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'm with the guys who like the soft top look and I'm also with the guys who like a steel roof filled top.

Advantages of the soft top:

It looks like the car was built originally, classy and traditional.

Advantages to the steel filled top:

It makes the body stroger structurally by a huge amount and provides a low maintenance leak free roof.

What I would do would be a combination of both.

Strong, good looking and traditional in appearance as well. Not to mention a little sneaky ;)

How ?

Instead of putting in the usual wood and chicken wire that the soft top usually uses, install some metal ribs as supports and then weld roof metal into the top opening leaving the original recess for the tack strip that finishes the soft top insert.

After that you can have the top covered with soft insert fabric and install the tack strip.

The results:

A structurally solid and leak free roof with the traditional old soft top look. :)

A win win in my eyes.

QcATudor likes this.
  16. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Thanks Gary, I already followed your chop thread :)

17. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you can get a copy of Hot Rod Deluxe magazine, July 2013, Roy Fjasted from West Coast Street Rods, welds an insert in a Deuce sedan. If you can't find it PM me and I'll send it to you. Model A and Deuce are very close in dimensions.

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I too would run some sort of soft top...

19. I must have misread it. I thought he asked how to do it, not how everyone else would build HIS car :rolleyes:

20. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I have decided to put an insert in it and cover it with cloth

21. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

That's an excellent choice! You won't regret it!

22. willbierfarms

willbierfarms
    from palmyra mo

I want to on the inside make a louverd panel out of aluminum and have it striped

23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I vote with the "soft top" crowd here. I have no issues with mine. It has been through several heavy rains on the road and survived 120 mph passes at the H.A.M.B. Drags. [​IMG]

24. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I did the same as did Mo Rust. It came out good. Then put a fake soft top on it.

25. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I vote for an aluminum louvered insert also. Then again I may be a bit partial.

Attached Files:

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I guess you also missed the purpose of a discussion forum, to get info and share ideas. Lots of info provided and some alternate ways to approach something never hurts.

27. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400548880.349730.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400548902.401502.jpg

Does this look ok for those of you that have done it? It is just setting on there, still have to start welding.

28. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400549094.119315.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1400549125.375149.jpg