Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats happening in Phoenix Arizona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fatabone, Feb 15, 2004.

1. fatabone

fatabone

Were coming out to check out the salvage and airplane junkyards. I hope it's nice weather and maybe find a place where rodders hang out. We'll be there Wednesday through Saturday this week. A guy who bought my 41 Willys lives there and is taking us around but I'd like to meet some Hamber's and check out some rods.

Also...have any good places to hang out at night?

Thanks,Howard

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

email ElPolacko and JEEM. not sure who else lives out that way but i hear ElP's shop (industrial chassis) is pretty nice.

3. Phoenix is a big place, most of the regulars hang out at 35th Avenue and Northern at a "taco stand" on the Norhtwest corner. Saturday nights have a few locations around town.

Plenty of "yards" around but offhand I can't think of any of them for air planes in and around Phoenix. Tucson on the otherhand is surrounded by them.

and of course all HAMBers are welcome to stop by my shop anytime.

Industrial Chassis Inc
    3536 W. Osborn #5
    Phoenix, AZ 85019

602-278-6800

4. fatabone

fatabone

ELpolacko...we'll stop by and check out your place and thanks for the info.
    Howard

5. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

That 35th AVENUE and Northern deal is on Friday evenings, usually around 6 or so all of us Phoenix HAMB guys start showing up.
    If your buddy lives here, he probably knows the junkyard scene fairly well.
    Don't be afraid to check out http://www.cruisinarizona.com/ for info on cruise nights and shows for Saturday, if you are in town for all of Saturday. I usually hit the one at Pavillions on Saturday nights.

In which part of the Phoenix area are you staying. We're scattered all over. I'm in Tempe.

6. fatabone

fatabone

Deyomatic...we are flying into Phoenix and renting a car with no other plans. We'll probably hit 35th and Northern Friday night and wing the rest. Thanks for the link for cruise nights.
    Whats the temperature there...can I take off these long johns?!
    Howard

7. If you want to go to some air plane yards let me know and I will see what there hours are. Stuff can be really high price and if you are looking for WWII stuff forget it its all gone. You can call me at the shop I work at between 7:30-5:00 mon-fri. Maybe Metalshapes and myself can take you around. 520-790-1885

8. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Coming from PA, YOU can wear shorts, but I won't be. I'd bet it was about 75 today. Make sure you pack a jacket or something for the nights out here. It has been about 40 or so at night.
    It will be a refreshing change for you.

9. fatabone

fatabone

Thanks for all the info can't wait till Wednesday.

10. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I can almost guarantee you that you'll see more cool old cars in 30 mins, than you've seen in the northeast in the last 3 months. You'll love it.
    Let me know which cruise you plan on attending on Saturday, if you stay until Sunday.

11. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Fenix weather is to fuckin cold, it was almost freezing lastnight!
    -Jesse

12. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

"Freezing" in phx = normal temps for the rest of the country. If you are from the north it will be DAMN WARM!
    Though the last time I was there it was colder than DFW. [​IMG]

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Last time I was in that area I stopped at a pretty cool junkyard with lots of old car tin just past Firebird Raceway I think it was. Don't remember the name of the place but maybe one of these guys AZ guys does.

14. Munson

Munson
    from Tempe, AZ

Jesse, you're a smart-ass!

Howard,
    I've been to http://www.dvap.com/ (lots of old stuff) They're at I-17 north to Happy Valley Rd. exit right and its on your right about 1/4 down Happy Valley Rd.
    Get your airplane buisness done early and I'd stay close to central phoenix for easy accessibilty to all the fun!!

Ladycrusr, how close to Firebird was the yard. I'm not sure were you're talking but there is one in Casa Grande (20min south on I-10) called Wisemans??

15. Glen

Glen

Denise there is another old junkyard down by firebird, but I cant remember the name right now.

It is supposed to be 80-82 degrees Tuesday and Wednesday with a cold front coming in on thursday that will take us back down to the low 70-72 range [​IMG]

16. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

I know, did you ever get your leafs out?
    -Jesse

17. GreggAz

GreggAz

I used to work at DVAP... not a bad place (expensive) you can spend a hell of a lot of time there. If you get up there before stopping by Industrial chassis tell Joe (the salesman) that Gregg said HI.

Wiseman's is closed, emptied out, there are a few others, Hidden Valley, and others out here, and some down south.

18. scooter

scooter
    from phx,az,USA

There is a whole row of bone yards and self service yards on broadway by the dirt oval track called manzintia (spelling)? Everything from late to early truck and whatever . Arizona has ben pretty well picked clean , and the yards that do have old tin get top dollar .On fri night there are anywhere from 1-? 12 hambers out there at 35th .Check out a place called the brass armildilo in west phx , Check out old town glendale too .Also make sure you have permission in the plane bone yards , last time i went a couple a nice young men w/ m-16 s informed me that the area was closed , i was all to happy to thank them for the info and leave .I thought there was a car show in peroria this sat ???Phx is a big place , the Valley even bigger , a day trip up to route 66 and prescott , flagstaff ,and sedona should also be in order if ya have the time .You'll have a good time fer sure . Deyos right there are a ton of us drivin our old rides as daily drivers out here . PS El-p's place is a must see ! also so-cal speed shop , maybe Az street rods too .Ask rod palmer for the tour .

19. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I might be meeting a guy in Phoenix coming up soon, I'll have to get with some guys as to the best area to stay in, and where to hang out. it'll be a weekend trip, I think it's like 900 miles from me (Waco, TX)

20. fatabone

fatabone

I'm going to hate leaving Arizona already. One sure stop is 35th ave. and try to hit a couple shops. I just found out the guy who bought my Willys also bought a 40 Ford coupe. I'll try to get him out friday night with the cars. Thanks for all the info.
    Howard

21. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Scott, as far as I know the only thing in Peoria this weekend is the Italian Festival, and the only reason I know about that is the signs on the highway. I guess it is at the Sports Complex. I don't know anything about a show, but I'm hoping I find some decent Italian food up there!

D