Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's happening in LA this weekend, 10/17- 10/20??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick Flores, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Spending sometime in Los Angeles this weekend. Don't think sneaking off to El Mirage or CHRR will make the fairer Flores all that happy so I'm wondering if anything cool is happening in the LA area. We're staying in Burbank and I'll have some shitty rental wheels. Are there any swap meets or must see stuff going on this weekend?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

search socalcarculture.com - events calendar

3. roughneck424

roughneck424

Pomona Swap is Sunday

4. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Looks like about 40 miles from our hotel to the swap meet. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

5. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Go early... be there before daylight it is a gost town at 2:00pm

6. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Just like here in Phoenix, get there before sunrise and everybody is gone before noon. Our flight is at 2 or 3 in the afternoon anyway. If a guy didnt have all day to hang out at the swap, would 2-3 hours be enough time to make it through?

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

no

8. deto

deto

I would just go anyways. A few hours is better than none...

9. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

That's what I'm thinkin. I've never been so I can at least check it out.

10. toml24

toml24

Sacrifice your Saturday morning (October 18th) and drive down to the FREE Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach from 5:30am to 8:30am. 250 vintage cars and trucks of all vintages. It's the best FREE car show on the West coast. Trust me it's worth it.

11. Aren't there some Big Boy locomotives at the fairgrounds?

12. ucfmcdonald

ucfmcdonald

Looks like about 40 miles from our hotel to the swap meet.[​IMG]

13. Friday night. Bob's Big Boy
    4211 W Riverside Dr, Burbank, CA 91505

Stovebolt likes this.
  14. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I can't say for sure, but im pretty sure the U.P. moved a Big Boy out of there not too long ago. I guess there is a rail museum at, Griffith park? I dont know for sure, I'd rather be finishing up the '31 Cabriolet then flying somewhere to rent a Honda, but the missus won this round...

15. MrArt2u

MrArt2u

And that rail museum at Griffith Park is only 2-3 miles from the Bob's Big Boy in Burbank (Friday night cruise in)

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Sounds like I have plenty of options to think about. I still wish she would've picked Hawaii or Bermuda though. ..

17. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thanks for the link sgt!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  18. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. The Lady Flores has decided that we shall visit the rail museum at Griffith Park and the Bobs Big Boy cruise. I also (some-freaking-how) talked her into moving our flight back so we can spend the better part of Sunday out at El Mirage. I'm happy to visit the lakebed, and a little sad that we won't be running the #3663 car. That will have to wait until November.

The only bad deal is that the Lady is leaving me stuck at the hotel all day Thursday so her and a friend can go for massages and girlie shit. If anybody in the area of the Burbank airport Marriott wants to hang out or needs some help working on something, let me know. I'd be happy to cab it and come get greasy.

19. Go by that bookstore?

http://www.autobooks-aerobooks.com/

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Holy hot rod books! I'll be dropping in there for sure.

21. Speedster

Speedster

Nick,
    Check this out http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/
    Also, I should be free Thursday afternoon, and am about 15 minutes from the Burbank airport. I have my banger motor on a stand ready to go into a 27 Ford speedster and a 48 Ford pickup in the driveway.
    Contact me if you want to come by.
    John Dimock

22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Hey John, we're heading to the Airport in a few minutes. PM your number and I'll give ya holler later today.

23. MrArt2u

MrArt2u

Nick, I'm also about 15 minutes away from the airport and would have totally jumped on the "free skilled labor" to help me seal up then wrestle the 9" rear end back under our '57 Ford wagon and finish the disc brake swap but today is a 16 hour workday for me. Not bragging about the long day, the last 4 hours involves strippers, pinball and a bachelor party at my studio, no, wait, I guess I am bragging, but, otherwise, I would have loved the help. That's good of you to offer.

Have fun out here, maybe we'll see you at Bob's tomorrow night. I'll be in my '58 Apache or black '64 Riviera.

Oh, and one more thing to do, the Petersen Automotive Museum is shutting down for renovations on Sunday. They will have free admission and a "Breakfast Club" cruise in on Sunday morning. I have no idea what the crowd will be like but it's an option if you don't go out to El Mirage.

Cheers
    Art

24. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Sorry, I know some of this is redundant, but more info is added.
    Car Stuff: As mentioned in an earlier post, http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html will list most everything car-wise going on in SoCal. Pick and choose here.
    The Pomona Swapmeet is good. It is across the parking lot from the Rail Giants museum. (See below).
    As mentioned, Donut Derilicts is good if you like early, early mornings, but most everyone is gone by 8:30.
    Train Stuff: There are only 8 BigBoy locomotives left on earth. The 4014 BigBoy was moved from SoCal to Cheyenne, WY back in May for a FULL restoration. No BigBoys left in California.
    The Rail Giants rail museum at the FairPlex in Pomona is where the 4014 came from and was located for 50 years and there is plenty to see there: http://www.railgiants.org/ . It looks like they are NOT open this weekend. However, cruise by there while you are at the Pomona swapmeet as there is usually someone working on projects and the gates will be open. Just wander in and look around. They are cool about it. If the gates are closed, you can see rail equipment from the outside.
    Another great museum is the Orange Empire Rail Museum: http://www.oerm.org/, however it is quite a distance from Burbank.
    LA Live Steamers: http://www.lals.org/ . This is kind of cool. Right next to Travel Town at Griffith Park and they doing a special "Ghost Train" night operations this weekend.
    Instead of being stuck in the hotel, hop on a MetroLink train and go somewhere just for the ride!! http://www.metrolinktrains.com/ . You can always railfan at the Fullerton Amtrak depot. 100+ trains go through there every day.
    BTW, I clicked on your Railfans of the HAMB link and it did not work.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  25. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

We just landed here in Burbank, waiting on the Lady's bags. Once we get our shit straight I'll figure out what the rest of today is going to bring. I'm certain we will go to Big Boys tomorrow night, I'll be on the lookout for you guys.

26. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Also, we are without doubt going to be at El Mirage on Sunday, probably just before the drivers meeting.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Look's like YOU are what's happening in L.A. this weekend!

28. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

No shit huh? Went by that book store but couldn't find anything I didn't have already or couldn't live without. Going to give John a call here in a little bit and see what he's got going on.

29. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

And Bigdogg, I need to get on a desktop and fix that link. Thanks for the reminder.