Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods what's going on with photobucket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36-3window, Jan 17, 2019.

1. a while back photobucket took everyone's pictures hostage and a lot of threads lost pictures. i lost thousands of pictures there since i refused to pay them, but just checked one of my old threads that had the pictures disappear and they are now back??? did they change their mind?

an on topic picture hosted by Photobucket:

[​IMG]

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They have put a watermark on imagery and I clearly see this as a way of possibly winning back something (now they use your pic by slathering their name on it say it NOW Photobucket see I noticed) ...its better than nothing but what an ugly blight on the picture...there is other threads on this change to this terrible company...the pop up nightmare that it is...storing stuff online has a price in many cases...

Many of those sites have ruined so many threads here...I will never trust or recommend them...

For what its worth they are not the only one that supplies x's...I just looked at 2 threads with links that go to empty pages and post pics that are replaced with icons.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. Deuces

Deuces

I don't need them, and I don't care....

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, simply upload your pic straight to the H.A.M.B. there’s no more need for image hosting....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jeez, that watermark is obnoxious. The computer world is filled with dickheads and greedy bastages. Gary

Deuces, redo32 and Stogy like this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This is something I have been pondering: the HAMB must have endless digital storage to store all the photos it does, like the Days Gone By Thread for example. Very nice and very grateful for that.

It would be nice to see those old photobucket photos in threads instead of the red X. I got an email from them a couple days ago that doesn't sound promising:
    Thanks for being a loyal Photobucket User!
    In the next few weeks, we will be letting you know about some major site and feature enhancements that we are very excited about. In the meantime, now is the best time to take advantage of one of our low cost plans!

Act before now and we will take 15% off of the first year of our already discounted annual plans. That’s a 25% savings as compared to our monthly plans.

Upgrade Today

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think in many cases the history of what was posted disappears when the x or whatever the heck is in the place of what was there and I can't imagine the magnitude of going thru the thousands of threads missing information...

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the only solution is for each of us to repair the threads in question and I know I have opened posts I have made and there is no info of the pic that was removed...so I don't even know what to put back.

9. jazz1

jazz1

100_3103_zps34f25313.JPG
    ^^no watermark
    I was looking at my Photobucket yesterday. I could buy a one month membership for $4.60 and recover all my pics but I'm sort of cheap. When I did not jump on the offer I was immediately offered a 30% discount if I purchased a one year membership.
    Its very tedious and I'm no whiz with a computer but you can forward pics from your photo bucket one at a time to your email without the watermark. I forwarded 6 pics total , took almost a hour, pop ups keep getting in the way.

10. I grabbed the first photo I saw and corrected the proudly hosted on photobucket pasted on top of the photo's

[​IMG]

To the truth, HIJACKED BY PHOTOBUCKET. :mad: HRP

photobucket hijack.jpg

hotrodharry2, Texas Webb and jazz1 like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_Nov-73-R-and-C.jpg

Heres a virgin...;)

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

^^^^^ I doubt it.
    The picture yes.

13. gene-koning

gene-koning

Given how little concern they had when they held everyone's pictures for ransom the first time, why anyone would give them another chance to screw you again is beyond me.

I store my own photos on my computer, flash cards are cheap backup and can hold a lot of pictures. I don't have to wonder if any pictures I may have posted someplace have disappeared. Gene

14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Thank you, guys at the HAMB, for providing such a service. But, I am not sure we want to load up the HAMB files. With the zillions photos constantly being posted, it seems like the servers will be slower and have glitches galore. So, the answer is to keep those HAMB servers running at full speed. So, everyone should purchase their own 3-4 TB (Terrabyte) external hard drives to store what is necessary and keep them off of the HAMB servers. We enjoy the service and what the HAMB offers.

It will not kill anyone’s bank account to have the terabyte external hard drive to store those umpteen copied photos or the ones coming off of the cameras. Plus, if you know your post and the photo that went with it, just edit, delete the old photobucket photo and insert your new photo. Or go to the end of the thread and repost the whole thing with your own photographs.

If your computer, laptop or tablet is running slowly, check out the capacity of the hard drive and what is on them. If I look and see that old stored photos are making too many glitches on any of the devices, that is the first thing to be cleaned up and moved to the 3-4 TB external hard drives. My numerous movies that I have edited and created take up a lot of hard drive space. So, the external drives earn their keep and keep my computer/laptop running at top speed tuning. Less is more!

Jnaki

My computer savvy son has told me that the newest Windows and Mac programs run smoothly. The Intel I3, I5, I7 are pretty good programs and even the low power I3 has enough power to run any laptop quickly and efficiently. There is no need for that faster, more powerful I7 program, but only if your base hard drive is not overloaded with crap.

But, yes, being hot rod/drag race guys/girls makes for building up your latest laptop with the fastest, most powerful programs that your bank account can afford. We want to go fast, load faster and transfer stuff to your external hard drives, quickly. The daily "cleaning" helps, but it is still on your computer drive and slowing everything down. When you are finished with the photos, it will be a surprise as how fast your device works when that photo is not around to clog up your device or laptop.

Modern camera photos take up a lot, movies take up more, even the phone cameras are now getting closer to the “real” cameras in size and quality. But, your computer or device will still get loaded up with tons of stuff to slow things down. There is a point to having all of those photos, but who looks at every single one, every day? On your phone, device, computer, slim down, get rid of stuff you don't use and make it fast again.

Storage is important, but there is no need to pay some company to store your photos or copies of photos or general important files. In an emergency like, hurricanes, fires, flooding. etc. they all create the need for fast evacuation which is important and necessary. The off-site storage is handy, but just grab your external hard drive and leave. The rest can be replaced.

Files are important, so they can travel with you when you need them. Take control of your life and what you have in important files…don’t leave any chance to others. Especially, if they hold your photos hostage and take credit for the photo with those dumb watermarks. If all it takes to get rid of the watermarks is to join again, then you will have to pay for a month, get all of your photos cleared up and save it back to your own external hard drives.

Then , "ta-ta", you will have your own copies photos, created movies, slides, etc. on your OWN external hard drive and not have to worry about those web services.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Irish Mike and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right on the money @jnaki...;)

jnaki likes this.
  16. I am not sure what you are trying to say. Are you suggesting everyone get an external hard drive and link it to HAMB when posting?

Charlie Stephens

Stogy likes this.
  17. i will have to do that to recover some of my pictures. surprised that i could even get to my pictures without giving them any money. i never want to use their services again , just want my pictures and i'm glad they are not holding my pictures hostage anymore

lately i have been uploading pictures straight to the HAMB.

18. Jeez , Everybody knew this would happen with the internet , eventually. Surprised it took so long.
    "Nobody rides for free"
    Look at G**gle now..Totally commercial, and f**ked.:(:(

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No he's saying get a huge drive which are pretty cheap these days plug it in via USB to your home computer and save your pics there and load them to the Hamb...The other thing is if your pics are stored as hostage in Bucket or any of the other sites pay a month and down load them all to your drive at home and see them later.Apparently if you pay them the watermark is gone as long as your paid.

Terrabytes of storage are very cheap nowadays and the little drive can be connected to multiple computers if you want.

jnaki likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If its 3 or 4 bucks for a month and you can download all your folders to your home computer in minutes or a half hour its worth your while 6 pics in an hour sounds brutal. THEN Sianara...:D...I'll betcha thats spelled wrong...but what it means is Goodbye PhotoPhucket

jnaki likes this.
  21. That is the way I have always done it, local storage on a large drive. I thought he might be trying to say to link the local hard drive to HAMB. Another thing I am just beginning to understand (although I have trouble believing it) were people actually loading all of their photos to photobucket for storage (maybe without a local backup)? I assumed they were loading only the ones they were posting?

Charlie Stephens

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No I think many have older computers and or are photographers and the files are huge and off site storage met a need but with huge drives even as basic hardware nowadays you can store a lot at home...I have not ever had to use outside storage...Jnaki was saying to keep the files off the your Hamb personal folders even though I am sure as Moriarity said they have drive storage bigtime nowadays if you want to use it.

54vicky and jnaki like this.
  23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

"Too many cooks will spoil the stew ".:oops:

24. My hijacked photo's are still there but I can't download them, not even to my computer.

If they can live with them I can live without them, I even had a paid service with them when they decided to screw everyone. HRP

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I download photos from my photobucket account to use here or on FB or another site all the time without issue.
    Most of those are photos that I took to use to answer a question and saved to Photobucket to have them where I could easily share them without digging though 20,000+photos on my computer and remembering what year and month I took them.
    I'll see if this shot of my Hamb Gear shift knob works.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the photo of my shift knob it may be what level of account you paid for that dictates the watermark or not.
    This is on another photobucket album I have that I would like to move all the photos to my Mr48Chev account a the album is too hard for family members and friends to find.
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I used them for posting on boards, kept copies on pc at home. When my last pc died I would have lost a lot of pics but luckily I had a bunch of them saved to photobucket. I changed over to Flickr and use them for the same reason, posting to boards. Not all boards I’m on have as good a system as the HAMB does. I do need to get an external hard drive for backups though, just never seem to think about it.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think No pay means watermark...or it was free back then, now they want money and if you don't pay watermark is applied...​

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That could be Stogy, both of my accounts are paid. the Rob-D account that the T is on is the bare minimum. I quit saving much on it because if you search photobucket for that account you get too much crap showing up before you work your way to the account and now mainly use it to share scanned family photos with family. There here is the album with the photos save the link thing.

Stogy likes this.
  30. evintho

evintho

I've been paying PB $24.99 per year for several years now. No watermarks on my photos but I'd like to dump PB and download all the pics to my computer. Anyone know how to download my PB pics to my laptop? Since they took all accounts hostage I've switched to Imgur and am very happy with it.

In addition, I plan to get an external hard drive to store all my pics so I can get them off my laptops and free up the hard drives. However, someone brought up a good point. If all your pics are on an external, what happens to all your pics if the external hard drive goes out? Poof?? You'd have to back 'em up to even another external!

jnaki likes this.