Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's going on at Kanter???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bryan6902, Aug 15, 2011.

1. bryan6902

bryan6902

Short rant... I have bought thousands of dollars worth of parts from Kanter Auto Parts and have been satisfied with everything. Good quality, fast service, etc.... Called to order a part recently, here's the conversation.

Me- I'd like to order this part

Operator- Ok, I'll look it up.

Me- Yea, I looked it up online, its $54. And you guys have a free shipping promo going right now.

Operator- Yep, found it here its $89.

Me- That includes shipping?

Operator- No, thats extra.

Me- Well I saw that free shipping promo online and what's with the price difference?

Operator- Free shipping is for online orders only.

Me- What about the price difference?

Operator- $89 is the price.

Me- Well I guess I'll order online.

CLICK! He hung up.

So I don't know what's happening there with the difference in online price or call on the phone price. I understand the online free shipping promotion. I was away from my desk and figured calling would be a lot simpler, I guessed wrong. And its also sometimes nice to talk with a real person. Bottom line it was $54, total, shipped to my door. So just a heads up fellas, save a few bucks and order online.

2. You are going to run into this more often. I was told a couple years ago, that ordering parts for work using paper purchase orders, were going to have surcharges for handling them. Seems there is less hassle and cost ordering electronicly. You want to talk or have it in writing, you will have to pay.

3. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

On line if you get the wrong part, you got the problem not them. Save them the cost of counter people and possible mistakes.

4. scrubba

scrubba

I know Wal- Wurl does the same stuff too. I guess it's for the best. Half the employees I met there haven't a clue as to why they even exist ! scrubba

5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The up side to internet parts ordering will be the end to "I'm smarter than the stupid counterman threads" on the HAMB. Ron

6. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

It's sad , there's alot of jobs lost due to progression..... I kinda like the personal approach to ordering my parts , but , a dollar is a dollar....

7. Unfortunately, this is the trend. I worked my way through the ranks in a company that was over 100 years old and eventually was in charge of a group of extremely knowledgeable customer service reps and outside sales reps. Our products were technical in nature and all of these reps were top notch, knew their stuff and provided the best support available when a customer called.

In the mid 90's the company went public and all that mattered was next quarter's earnings....long term growth and stability went out the window. The first thing that went were the superb reps. They made too much money for this model.

Replacing two reps who made $50K each with one who made $30K (and then demanding that the new rep handle all the calls of the previous two), made a mid-level bean counter look great to his bosses.

Before all of that, I remember going to industry conventions and having people stand up in our workshops, giving unsolicited testimonials about the superb nature of our products and service. Afterwards, it was so bad at conventions that I quit going....I couldn't bear to watch a grand old American company being run into the ground.

I eventually just walked away....couldn't stand to watch the proud old girl being gutted like a fish.

The company continued on the same course after I left and is now a shell of it's former self. I spoke with one of the few remaining remaining old-timers still working there, the other day and he said there's been talk of shutting the doors altogether.

Depressing I know, but it's what happens when these proud American companies go public or are sold to private equities firms. All that matters at that point is what the stock price will be next quarter.....everything else is secondary.

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah Rusty, the same thing happened to our financial industry when it was decided that the big trading houses could go public. Welcome to America, Inc.

9. cederholm

cederholm

Starting a price war within the same company based on the customer's choice of ordering in a great way for them to shoot themselves in the foot. With such a small specialized audience such as the hot rod and vintage car guys it wont take long for this to surface and for people to shop elsewhere where they can talk to someone. I really hope the person on the phone made a mistake but thanks for the heads up!

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Oh, the humanity! Boo Hoo!

11. thesupersized

thesupersized

when i need something from kanter, i just take a 20 minute ride and pick it up :)

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I guess I'm a dinosaur.

I like talking to someone and hopefully knowing (immediately) whether the part is in stock, and if so when and how it's going to be shipped.

I still look for places where I can do that.

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Its wierd, no one really wants to work, but we all need money and feed. I think a lot of people would be happy if they didnt have to work and machines did everything that didnt require a human. Which will be more often as we continue to progress. But what are all these people gunna do and how are they going to get what they need is the question.

14. I understand the progression towards web based ordering. Like others have said, it saves money, time, and if there is a problem, unless it's a shipping mistake, its usually your fault. But the part I quoted above, should never happen. Whether you are shifting to online sales or not, customer service is still what brings repeat, and new customers, in the door.

If he'd have hung up on me, I'd have called back and complained to someone higher up. I'm sure some won't agree, but I think poor customer service should be reported. Otherwise, you have no leg to stand on when the service of your favourite company goes to hell.

15. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

Some of companies are doing away with "live" sales staff totally, and "outsourcing" their phone orders to service companies. Maybe thats the case here.

16. bryan6902

bryan6902

I wasn't trying to start a big political/Made in the USA/downsizing/ rant. Just looking for some consistancy between the guy I talk to on the phone and what the computer says. Also wanted to let everyone here know about it.

Maybe the phone guys get a comission or a percentage on what they sell. In that case I'll order online from now on. $35+ is still a lot of money to this guy.