Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats cooler? PICS ADDED: '32 Henry steel sedan or '32 Brookville roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Dec 23, 2009.

1. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

SEDAN SEDAN SEDAN SEDAN SEDAN!

Get a roadster later...

2. Sauli

Sauli

Depends on whether You´d rather have a roadster or a sedan, really...;)
    Not much of a pre-war-car -kind of guy myself, but to me both sound like pretty good options, provided the Henry-steel sedan is still something You could work with, within the realm of Your skills and resources on hand. One thing I can tell You, though, is decide for Yourself what it is You REALLY want and then focus on that, and only that. Don´t settle for anything less or "close enough" just because it´s "affordable" or "can be had".

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  3. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

I dig Sedan's but I wouldnt mind a roadster if one came my way.

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I gotta say it, and I'm sorry if it's a bit insulting, but a Deuce roadster is almost a cliche'. Like 69 Camaros or purple Mopar muscle cars, it's just one of those things that you see so many of it's hard for me to get excited about em. So many look the same even though each one has a few unique features. But with so many I'd bet it wouldn't take long to find 2 or 3 identical versions right down to color. I'e seen several I like but have seen so many I don't even have the most remote itch for one. As a counter-point to that idea they're so popular it's a great car to build on 'spec' as a re-sale project. If part of you decision is to be unique then a Tudor has a better chance at that. Lake racer cars are kool n all but there again is something that's catching on. True that most lakers were roadsters of one form or another with coupes a close 2nd, but there certainly is some room for going that route in a sedan. Another idea is to incorporate some of the laker ideas in subtle ways through the course of the build. Henry or Brookville? Does it really matter? My opinion is that it's a 'big dick' contest among rodders. To say you have a Brookville means you afford good stuff. To say you have a 'Henry' means the same thing in a different dialect. It's not like a LeBaron Packard. The real thing is $4,000,000 and an example with new coachwork is a bit less than $1,000,000. I don't think you'd see a comparable spread in value on the Fords. Last but not least, it's a clear dry December morning in MI as I type this. If I had a sedan I could take it to breakfast with more comfort than a roadster. I'll save my cold driving clothes for my snowmobiles.

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I think your build style dictates the body style. A late 40's lake car is a roadster hands down. Sedans are grandma's cars.If you were going for late 50's 60's I'd say the tudor for sure.I think a deuce tudor is one of my favorite body styles. BTW if you pass on the tudor PM me I'm interested.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  6. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

7. A Boner

A Boner

Stainless steel exhaust belongs on KIT cars.........mild steel exhaust for the real steel deal trad. hot rods!

8. Choices!!!

Attached Files:

9. Chuck R

Chuck R

10. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Gezus this "kit car" anti roadster stuff has been thick as of late...

That being said if you can pull it off I would get the real car now and the roadster later if you feel you can pull it off and you want both. I don't think B'ville is in danger of going away anytime soon unless this "I hate dem kit cars" crowd grows.

If you are a roadster guy though no substitute exists for them..."kit car" or not.

11. Always buy Henry Steel first if you can afford one. So that means buy the sedan first. They aren't making any more of them, and if you turn into a Deucaholic (like me) you can never own just one. You can always get a Brookville later or if you hit the lottery, a real Henry. One thing I like about driving a Brookville is its easier to sleep at night in that motel on the road or drive with the idiots on the road nowadays knowing if you really wad it up you can just order another one. I always wanted to hot rod my wife's restored Deuce roadster but I picked up a Brookville for my next road warrior to keep her's for what it actually was like in April of 1932 when it was made. And I put over 50K on my old glass roadster with no regrets. If you get too hung up on what it is to impress someone you aren't having much fun in my opinion. I never get down on anyone who builds and drives their own car, no matter what it's made of.

12. andyg

andyg

if the sedan is rough i would go with the brookville. i'm an open air guy so it doesn't matter to me that it was 29 degrees yesterday when i was out in my roadster. but again i like being out in the elements. it's not cold if your dressed for it! i wouldn't drive either in the snow or anything that resemble salty roads so.....

if sedan is super solid...which i think you said it needed quit a bit of body work...but if it's solid go with it. it doesn't fit the historical aspect of the 40's hot rods but who cares. build what you want.

btw-brookville bodies are amazingly close to the original. they are a fine piece of work and i wouldn't feel one bit bad about building a cool 40's style car with a brookville body. make your own memories in it and 30 years from now it will give you the warm fuzzies too like the post above.

vintagehotrods, your my kinda guy. and i'm bettin' your wife is pretty cool too!

13. erlomd

erlomd

tough choice...the 2 door sedan was never my thing, although i do appreciate them. I like the roadsters for their impact in history pre and post war at the dry lakes...hmm...then again what people here have been saying is true..if you have the chance to have an original it would be alot cooler and more valuable in the end. the brookville will definately be a hole lot easier to build (but then again, if it were easy, everyone would do it? right?)
    if it was me, i would ditch both ideas...and get a model A (easier to find and somewhat cheaper with all the historical value)

14. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

Spoken like a true hot rodder.

Props to you my friend. :cool:

15. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

A good A is a great option.

My only problem is I have a hard time fitting my fat gut, longs legs, and stupid big feet in a deuce and an A would probably kill me LOL. I also wanted a stick this time around making for an even bigger mess with my goofiness behind the wheel.

What makes it even worse is I love a 28-29 on deuce rails and that is the smallest of the three choices...28-29, 30-31, or 32.

I really considered a 29 for a long time...ended up doing the 32 thing.

I guess it also comes down to the fact I think the 32 is one of the best looking things ever built in any form...but that is just me.

16. alchemy

alchemy

Did this, but will have a roadster some day too.

Attached Files:

17. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Just added pics of the sedan to the first post.

18. NO choice!! Buy the sedan, You can always get a Brookville.

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that I see the car in question I think you need a Brookville. By the way, where is this Tudor? :D:D:D:D

20. Uptown83

Uptown83

I think most of us were thinking you gonna get a beat up ol tudor body and still most people said sedan. After seeing the pic definitely buy that sedan over the brookville.

21. Chuck R

Chuck R

Shit, that's cool. Not much needed except your name on the pink slip.
    Bitchin
    [​IMG]

chuck

22. Mike, This is a keeper! Especially since you can buy it for a Brookville roadster price. I hope you own it and have it in your garage by now. You don't find them very often this complete and in this good of condition. It looks familiar to me because I was chasing one complete Tudor and another Tudor body that was in an estate near Greene, IA through a middleman that I didn't trust (he wanted all the money before I could see the cars). This probably isn't the same one because I see this one has old Michigan plates on it. Someone from Michigan made the deal on the other ones before I could see them, so the moral of the story is "Don't hesitate when buying a Deuce or it will be gone!".

THIS '32 Henry Ford Sedan car is relatively rust free. Has holes in the bottom of the cowl panels on both sides and the LH door. Otherwise no holes obvious. Car is complete with title.

[​IMG]

23. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

Whatever you do, don't cut the sedan body, even though you may have the title it's automotive history to be shared with all classic car lovers.

Al

24. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Do you want to spend time doing body work or not? I think the sedan is worth the time but if your looking for a quick build the roadster is the way to go.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Roadsters will always be cooler the sedans in terms of steel body cars unless we are talking about the Orange Crate Sedan. It all comes down to what you like but if I had a chance to buy a new Brookville stock roadster body or a '32 Sedan body I would go roadster by far. There is a lot of bragging right to having a real Henry Ford car but not enough to make up for the fact that it's a sedan and roadsters were the first real Hot Rods. Just my $.02.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I didn't know that....hmmmmmm

27. I'm sure hundreds of others have seen this car advertised recently (like me), but no one has yet stepped up. If I wasn't on vacation now, I'd go and look at it out of curiosity. It's not being given away at that price, but it is complete which is rare.

Buy it now or pass it along.

Steve

28. ummmmm buy the sedan... if you dont you will regret it, and ithink id rock it like that for a while with out painting it.

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I can see that sedan slid over to a hotrod chassis (saving the origianl for later) and driving the hell out of it!

30. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Guys,

I've made the guy and offer and he's accepted it. The deal will be made (fingers crossed) through the next week or so. I'll keep you updated on what happens.

Thanks again for all the opinions and advice. We'll see if it all works out as planned.

Mike