Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Capones '36 Packard worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fanspete, Feb 27, 2009.

1. fanspete

fanspete

I have nothing to do with this, but a guy I know just bought Al's '36 off the 'Bay. It's rough as hell but pretty much all there. A copy of the title with Al's name on it came with. I'm not so into caring about who used to own a car(unless it's a drag car!) but he thinks it might bring a pile. Just curious what you guys and gals think. I never find stuff like this!:mad:

2. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

I'd say it's worth whatever he paid for it on Ebay.

Anyone else that wanted to buy it could have bid against him, that's pretty much what dictates value, right?

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

"....but he thinks it might bring a pile." it was already on an auction site that investors and other car aficionnados peruse constantly. If it was going to bring any piles (other than those on the fanny of the original owner) the bidding would have been higher. The first contributor (to this thread) is correct - anything on this earth is worth what the most recent purchaser paid. That's why everyone's house is in the tank too....banks "dump" them and that becomes the new value....

Tell him to spend his time and money locating a museum (there are a couple here) that is interested. There's a museum in Primm, NV (on the CA border that has the official Bonnie and Clyde "death car" on display - they might be interested.

Any attorney will tell you - never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to. Same thing applies here - dont' buy anything that you don't already know the value of.

that is the extent of my sagacious contribution

dj

4. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

i think it would be pretty cool to own that car.

5. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

6. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I noticed that they have listed it as a 12 cyl......well 4 of them must be in the trunk...ha ha

7. Django

Django
    from Chicago

We were discussing this car on our board a week or two ago.

Where are all the pics in the original auction? There was a pic of the title dated 1961.

Restored it could be worth alot. As is as a field car in pieces, I doubt it's worth nearly what he thinks it "could" be worth.

8. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

i doubt he actaully bought it off ebay for a dollar.

9. 29SX276

29SX276

Well';I've seen cars worse than that brought back from the dead!! I think that would be a great project;all the vital pieces are there.Wonder what it sold for?
    Would the modern day "gangsta's" want it?:D

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think it was a around a grand the first time, when he had all the pics of the parts and the title. The seller probably didn't get any bids and dropped the price to pay less fees maybe?

11. I'm disappointed! Theres no body in the trunk......................................good luck on finding parts for it!

12. i wonder why Al Capone would have bought a 1936 Packard when he was in prison from May 1932 to January 6th 1939. maybe he bought it used when he got out?

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think Al Capone was in jail in Fla in 1936,..... and had been for a while,... there are a few "Al Capone" 36 Packards up here in Michigan as well,(all the titles seem to be reissued in 1962)..... hope nobody paid to much for it.

If I can get a copy from my buddy I will try to post a picture of it on here.

14. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

lochness monsta says bout tree fiddy!!!!

sorry...ill go away now

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

well maybe its just me but when i hear" completly unmolested" thats not what comes to my mind.well i guess it could be.....sorta,kinda. did geraldo? find it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  16. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

No look at the link and the pics are there. The car was not bought for a dollar. See bids....there were bids but they were canceled because someone made him an offer and he sold it off e-bay. The title is there but I have no idea if it is real. Seems the documentation is somewhat lacking to really be a big money deal.

17. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

18. Django

Django
    from Chicago

You're right they are still there, just all the way at the bottom of the page.

19. metalmike13

metalmike13
    from Glass City

That would be a pretty cool story if this Packard is the real deal. My instincts tell me that chances are its not. Either way hopefully someone will bring her back to life!

20. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have the jimmys Hoffas car!

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

......in little pieces....

22. Von Franco

Von Franco

And I have Elliot Ness'ss car I bought it from Frank Nitti........

23. henry29

henry29

Dd you check in the trunk to see if he might be in there.

24. Abomination

Abomination

"completely unmolested" LMAO!

[​IMG]

25. Pretty cool old car though. On the data plate it said "Made in the USA". I'll bet every damned piece of it was made in the USA too .. Looks like most of it is there, somewhere.

26. studematt

studematt

Exactly what I was thinking.

27. Exactly!:D

28. James427

James427
    BANNED

I've got a copy machine and some white out. I bet I can make a "copy" of a title showing Al Capone also owned my 1960 Desoto! LOL

29. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I just wonder how many Allan,Albert,Alouisous,Alonso,Capones were living in Chicago.Might have belonged to a Al Capone but not THE Al Capone.
    Perception can cloud reality.

30. The Pep Boys brake pliers would seal the deal for me. I understand Al tortured some of his enemys with them