Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's Cadzilla doing at So-Cal Speed Shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Gregcon, your logic escapes me..methinks its you who has a recto cranial inversion!

2. GregCon, get back on your high horse and ride out of Dodge.

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

That's what the 'ignore' button is for.

4. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

What a short-sighted, narrow-minded myopic thought. Check writers don't help the hobby? Sure could have fooled me. I'm sure all the talented hot rod and custom builders on the HAMB and elsewhere would disagree, food is on their table and a roof is over their head because of those "gold chainers" and "check writers". There is also nothing wrong with farming out work that is beyond your capabilities in either time or skill. I do it for my dentistry.

As a side thought, I've personally noticed over the years that the guys who are most emphatic about not giving props to "check guys" and beat the drum hardest to doing everything themselves usually drive the biggest piles of crap on the road. That may or may not pertain to this poster, but it's just something I've noticed.

5. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

We will be in LA next week for a wedding..... a trip to SoCal is planned. Would be cool to see "Cadzilla"

6. TheFrenZ

TheFrenZ
    from Germany

7. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man o man. Cadzzilla is slippery as hell. Just good design work

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Wow, you knew Billy Gibbons before he got rich and famous.? Ok, can't stand ZZ Top and don't like that car. Whatever floats yer boat. Just curious- what bands do you like and do they turn wrenches or, even own hot rods? Cause most (most, not all) of the musicians I know don't do either.

9. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I think Cadzilla raised the bar and changed the way people looked at cars/customs/hot rods? It's cool for what it is?
    There are cars in this area built by poor schlubs like us that are just as nice as that Cadillac,but haven't received the notoriety or press because the owners aren't famous musicians?

I find that "rich/famous" people don't get to enjoy their toys as much as we common folk due to their schedule or notoriety.Hard to focus on a car show when someone wants a piece of you every few minutes.Jay Leno is the exception?

10. Boy did this get out of text or what...I thought we were looking for information as to what it was doing at the SoCal shop. Not how do we bad mouth Billy.
    Some guys never learn.

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

It's not just rich or famous people, it's all about people's obligations. Some people work a straight 40 hour week and go home and don't bring anything with them, other folks have jobs that require much more of them. Nothing wrong with either, but I think time is the factor

12. GregCon....I guess we now know what the "Con" part of your username stands for.
    Your definitely Con-fused bro.
    Its not nice to bad mouth Billy, specially round these parts (Texas).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  13. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I was very lucky to see it get worked on at Boyds when they were building it and got to see I think his name was Larry something work his magic on sheet metal, it had its own room!!!

14. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Gregcon, jealous

15. texasred

texasred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Houston

GregCon, kinda rhymes with Elton John...Is Elton your type of "GUY" ??

16. 117harv

117harv

I don't agree with GregCon, but he is entitled to his opinion, is he not?? Now we are attacking other members??

I had the poster up for years also and i agree with the other poster who said it stands the test of time ALOT better than the truck also pictured on the cover.

17. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Sorry but I really hate that car. Stripping it of usable parts so they can scrap the rest??

18. s1buell

s1buell
    from Indiana

I saw the T Bird at the So-Cal open house before the LA Roadster show along with Cadzilla. The Mexican Blackbird did not appear to be having any work done to it.

19. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

I can't believe people are knocking Gibbons. OK, he doesn't do his own wrenching ... does that mean he doesn't love the cars/bikes ?
    He has an open mind and a fantastic collection. Not just the Cadzilla.

Honestly, IMO Cadzilla is the best thing ever made by Boyd C. Definitely beats his recent stuff by miles. Actually, maybe it's the only good thing ever made by him, but that's going OT ...

20. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

hhmm...never seen such a bunch of guys who can't live with an opinion that is not like theirs. I'd better not mention that I don't approve of same sex marriage either.

A rocker who turns wrenches? Jeff Beck. But who cares?

I'll bet you $100 if I got on stage in a fancy rock outfit and walked around with a guitar that Billy Gibbons would be disgusted ...we all know how musicians are about posers.

The bottom line is the car represents some outstanding craftsmanship but aside from that never did much for me. I gave you reasons why that are lucid and informed. Then again, I'm not a Hot Rod Magazine fanboy so I can see how that would rile those who are.

As for dentistry, if you really are a dentist then I hardly have to explain the differences between hiring a dentist and a mechanic.

What can I say? I don't put ZZ TOP on the same plane as SRV. I don't put checkbook cars on the same plane as owner-built cars. I like the beer - not the foam.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I don't think billy Gibbons gives two shits what you do.

22. Yeah, those guys are jerks... Not like the "I'm-more-traditional-than-you" guys who look down their noses and shun anything with a reproduction part or part newer than 1953 bolted to it... Mr. 7 posts...

23. Gator

Gator

And another newb goes on the ignore list...

24. How arrogant of you to think that The Reet Reverend would even know if you walked around with a guitar. Why would he care about what you did?

Since Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a flying accident you choice of words was really poorly chosen.
    (Yes I know it was a helicopter, but the inference is there)

25. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

If He did that would be cloning, And I dont think we need another guy like this....

26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Well, here's mine for what it's worth.
    Does Cadzilla float my boat?-Not really.
    Do I like ZZ top?-Not at all.
    Do I believe Gregcon has a right to his own opinion?-Absolutely
    do I believe it matters whether or not the car was a cheque book build or a homebuild?-Not even slightly, without the use of my arms and legs I had to resort to the cheque book on several occasions to get my custom built.
    Do I think Cadzilla is an important and influential car? Absolutely.
    Do I think that a FNG has a long and happy future on this board with an attitude like that?-Unlikely.
    Paul

27. pwschuh

pwschuh

Or you could just keep your mouth shut until you learn the difference between a hot rod and a custom.

28. Smokey2

Smokey2

Feverfred,

NEEDed, ..................Zoom in on yer' Avitar, Please !

I'm just a "Lonely Boy " lookin' for a one Night Stand wid HER ! THANKS

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed

While that car isn't exactly traditional, it certainly is one of the more outstanding cars that's contemporary. Hard to believe that it's been over 20 years since that car debuted and it still looks every bit as good as it did when I first saw it. My dad kept that issue and I still have it to this day.

GregCon - Billy Gibbons may write checks but he writes checks to the right people. I bet you that if you made as much money as the honorable Reverend, you would want some of the more talented people building your cars too.

30. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I used to wrench for a pro guitar player. He was at Billy's level without the fame.
    He was into OTish car(maro)s but none the less. He wasnt gonna take a chance damaging his hands by bangin em around like we do. He paid reeeeaaly well, and I liked what he drank. He knew what he was doing, he just wasnt gonna risk not playing making bank.
    gregcon,Dude, go back to hondabeibergleeworld.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.