Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats better Fourbar or Hairpins????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LORYDER, Mar 23, 2005.

1. LORYDER

LORYDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right now lm working on my 31 A.
    Theres a four bar in her with a tube axle, its all brand new.
    Any how l want to put a drilled l beam in that lve been saving for a long time in.
    Plus l have a set of hairpins to.l like the look of the hairpins,but lve been told that hairpins work better for a l beam axle and the fourbar works better with a round axle.
    l also was thinking maybe leave the fourbar in, and mount the l beam on the fourbar.
    Or should l cut the fourbar mounts off and install the hairpins that give it a more traditional look.(which l like.)
    The fourbar is more safe than the hairpins, plus lm going to have a Hemi in it which puts alot of weight on the front end.
    What do you guys think l should do?????

2. 30roadster

30roadster

3. My past experience is that a hairpin/radius rod handles better with a beam axle than does a four bar. It would seem because of the inherent geometry that a parallel four bar on the front axle transfers more weight to the rear under cornering loads and therefore making the car oversteer more. I think this has to do with an infinite intersection point whereas the hair pin has a definate fixed pivot point and induces positive caster change under load.

4. Or that the hairpin forces the axle to act as a sway bar.
    Actually, that IS the reason that hairpins seem to handle better. But, a tube axle really isn't designed to act as a sway bar, and the likelihood of something breaking is greater, be it the mounts, the bars, or the axle.

Four bars are better. They allow the axle to perform as an axle alone, and stress everything as little as possible. Adding a sway bar, if necessary, can be done separately.

Cosmo