Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's all this noise I hear? The September banger meet, that's what!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jonny69, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Yes folks, it's the first of the month again. I make it about 6:30pm and there's no monthly banger meet open yet... so here it is :D

I managed to grenade my little EnFo banger again. I put a few extra tuning goodies on near the end of last month and took it up to the Retro Rides Gathering '08 at the Gaydon heritage motor centre near Birmingham, England. I drove 300 miles from Kent to Southampton, then Southampton to Gaydon at 60 all the way, which is the car's old official top speed but it will sit there without fuss now with a bit more to overtake with. I don't think it did it much good because when I got it up there it conked out a few times and then as the weekend went on it started knocking badly inside the engine and then sounded very poorly indeed.

I haven't had it apart yet but the crank is vertically drilled so I'm suspecting with the high speed stuff on the motorway either a bearing ran dry or a small end let go. Either way it sounds like it's toast so this month it's decision time for the little Pop.

What's been going on in your banger world folks?

Jet96 likes this.
  2. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Fellow Banger fanatic,

Still going forward with the T shirt

I will continue the list. I think the number is getting high enough to start the talks with Ryan. Check the list and make sure that I have your size and quantity correct.

[​IMG]

Ryan has given us the ok for the project. We have to finalize a design and establish a list of who wants shirts and what size. He will make the shirt.
    I don't know the price, Ryan will handle that. I'm sure the more there is the better the price.
    Just post how many you want and what size.

I will start the list here:
    Crazydaddyo 2 - XL, 2 - 2XL, 1 - L, & 1 - M
    Corn Coupe-Yep interested XXL - bangers and HAMB with the engine
    Artiki - large with the engine cut-out.
    Mac the Yankee - XXL "Bangers & HAMB" Engine Cutout please!
    hotrodtom - one XL with the engine cutout
    Brian C - 2 - XL with the engine cutout
    A-zonie - 2 - 2XL with the engine cutout
    LancF2T - 1 - XL with the engine cutout
    Chris - 1 - XL with the engine cutout
    ForEverFour - 2- XL & 2 - L
    Stick Shift - 1 - XL with the engine cutout
    Just plain Bill - 1 - 2XL with the engine cutout
    kenagain - 1 - 2XL with the engine cutout
    MN Stumpjumper - 1 Large and 1 XL I like the pig driving the coupe but would take 2 either way.
    36Brua - 1 - XL with the engine cutout
    1930 vicky - 1 - Med. with the engine cutout
    jersyboy - 1 - L with the engine cutout
    HotrodVon - 2- XL & 2 - L with the engine cutout
    easyrider47 - 1 - 2XL
    firerod - 1 - XL
    Gaters - 2 - 2XL and 1 - L.
    WhoDoYouFink - 1 - XL
    62 pan - 1 - XL
    NINE INCH - 2 - XL
    noboD - 1 - 2XL
    GreggAz - 2 - L
    Denis4x4 - 2 - XL
    30 A Coupe - 2 - XL
    Rand Man - 1 - XL
    gas4blood - 1 - XL
    TV - 2 - L, and - 2 - XL
    4 2 Go - 2 - L, and - 2 - XL
    Gotmark73- 1 - XL
    X38 - 2 - L
    corn boy - 1 - M
    The37Kid - 1 - L
    Tman - 1 - L
    fordsteel - 1 - M
    ChevyGirlRox - 1 - M
    Bill Van Dyke -1 -XL
    AZAV8 - 2 - XL
    vtwinsideways - 1 - 2XL
    m4banger - 2 - XL
    Hot Rod Hoodlum - 1 - XL
    imfatdad - 1 - 2XL
    Hollywood 423 - 1 - L
    abe lugo - 1 - S , & 1 - L
    ricofan68 - 1 - L

Total so far = 78

:)
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  3. Wildfire

Wildfire

My banger motor is now in the works. I expect to have it around Christmas time. Gives me a deadline to shoot for on the rest of the project...

4. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

Why so long to get it WF?

5. Wildfire

Wildfire

The engine builder says 4 months. It is fully counterbalanced, insert bearing, oversize valves. Lot of mods and good reliable horsepower.

Once he's done I have to drive to TX to pick it up, might as well time it around the holidays and visit the inlaws for Christmas this year.

6. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Count me in! 2 t's XL if you would. Thanks, NineInch

7. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

So, what are you guys thinkin? Hamb on front(left chest), Large cutout on back? I have always had good luck selling shirts with that layout. But I'm game for whatever. Thanks. B

8. noboD

noboD

Mark me down for a XXL, white or grey prefered. I like what you like, but I like the cutaway.

9. GreggAz

GreggAz

no progress on my bangers, Im working on the 50 olds now.

Count me in for 2 large shirts.

10. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

9",
    Ya, that is the basic format. Ryan will have final say. There was an idea last month to let the Friday art group work out the final design. I think that should happen soon and then get it to Rayn.

11. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Put me down for 2 XL's

12. 30 A coupe

30 A coupe

The T-shirt looks perfect!!!!!!!!!! Count me in for 2 XL.:)

Thanks,

30 A coupe

13. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Lucy Star,
    Great pictures!!!!! Looks like you were in some good company. Old Crow RULES!!!

I'd like some of the details of the Old Crow reverse induction engine.
    Especialy the lower end.

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

How is the casting coming? Crazydaddyo

15. Rand Man

Rand Man

My B Banger project has developed a nice set of weeds in my backyard display. I've been building a shop and that has to take priority. I haven't lost interest though, so put me down for an XL.

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I was hoping that they would be available by now.
    Steve Serr is the one that is driving the project and he is the one that is getting the patern and castings made. I'm doing the machine work and he is doing the marketing. I've been told several times now that I will be getting castings soon. He and the paternmaker were thrashing to get stuff ready for Bonneville. Now that Speed Week is over, maybe I will see castings soon.

17. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

I fired up the 30' chassis last night, the mystery motor sounds great. No smoke and no strange noises. Now to get it ready for my 27' touring body. Great pictures of Bonneville and can't wait for the t-shirts.

18. Two 'L's I reckon, once the artwork is settled.
    Been stacking a few bits together this weekend. The cab came off a chassis fitted with a smallblock, so the firewall is recessed a little and collides with the stock A pedals. Snip trim.

Anyone have any pictures of the body blocks beneath a 28/29 pickup bed?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. So Johnny - need any help with those decisions? Nuther Pop engine? 100E engine? Underhead or overhead valves?

20. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

May have an illustration of some blocks at home, Phil. Have a look later.
    Nothing much going on in my banger world that I can think of this month, been away to the seaside with my little lad instead! Superb.
    I'm sure I must have done something car related....

21. You mean you didn't go in the Tourer?!
    I have the generic illustration that appears in all the catalogues - but nothing that really show what holds the pickup bed in the air.

22. I have to help you guys out, you've got me chasing bangers now. Put me down for 2 x L.

23. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

I've been thinking of getting an A short block with inserts, counterbalanced crank, etc.

Anyone deal with H&H Antique out of La Crescenta, CA? or have any suggestions for somewhere to look into (possibly closer to the east coast)?

24. Jonny69

Jonny69
    from England

What have you got in stock? :D

Need to give Nervous Bob a ring really, he'll be the one to bail me out of this one. Only problem is my engine is rebored +30 so if it's a piston damaged then I can't just steal one out of another engine and 10hp pistons are gurt expensive :(

25. Michael_e

Michael_e

Well, maybe my luck is starting to change. I keep reading about all you guys getting these great deals. Here's what i've managed to come up with so far.

About a month ago i found a Model A motor on Craigs list. He wanted $150, i explained all i had to spend was $100. He called back and said, OK. I picked it up, got it home. No externals-intake, carb, exhaust, starter, or generator. Outside was dirty from setting in garage. Took head off and was hardly any carbon buildup in head or on pistons. Took rag and kerosene and wiped pistons off and they said "STD." Took valves out and they looked like they just had a valve job, edges freshly ground and block seats were same. Will take oil pan off in a couple weeks and check out bottom end. Seller said it was his uncle's and it was rebuilt several years ago and stored. Looks like he was telling the truth. I think i good a good, stock engine.

Next, i put up a wanted ad on Craigs list looking for a Model A or T frame and all i had to spend was $50. Wasn't expecting too much. Guy replied he had one of each. Sent me photos. We made the deal and he delivered it to the OCC swap meet a couple weeks ago. I met him there and we swaped from one pickup to the other.

First pic - $50 Model T frame with both springs and axles.
    Second pic - T frame and Model A Motor in mockup in my garage.
    Third pic - A speedster that is my inspiration for this project.

Going to see just how inexpensive i can do this project. So far, i'm into this for $150. Also, this would be a great excuse for buying all the parts and materials to build and english wheel.

Now if we could just get this house here in Colorado sold!!!

Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

This '28 Dodge Fast Four was seen running around the 110 mph mark at Bonneville this year. Entered in V4F/STR

Attached Files:

27. I'm getting my car ready for the "66" hillclimb this weekend, Sept. 6 at Devore. You know, charge the battery, make a avgas run, retorque the head, change the pickoff gears back to the 5.30's, check the air in the tires. Just work, work, work. Actually most of my time is spent looking at all the fabulous Bonneville photos being posted on this thread and many others.

28. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

There's the place I got my engine built, but from what I had been told last we talked they weren't taking anymore work on at this time, needed to get caught up, etc.

There's always Scwalm's Babbit & Bearing around the Lancaster, PA area??

I've heard good and bad about them from guys with engines, but a good friend has had three engines done by them and never an issue with any,...yet??

There's supposedly a fellow around Corning, NY that does great work, I'd post your question on Fordbarn A section and on Ahooga.com's forum,...lots of "A" guys that can give better info there.

Best of luck to you with it!

29. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

No nearer (but that didn't stop me and I'm further east than you) but give Jay at Taylor Engine a call on 562-698-7231. They built my banger a few years back and I haven't had a issue with it yet.

30. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Another quiet month for me. Been out and about locally but no major runs as we've been breaking in the girlfriends "new" 53 Chevy Handyman. Got the Hot Rod Drags in a couple of weeks though which should be fun.

Pick up looks cool Phil, any plans other than stick a bed behind it?