Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's a T bucket with V8 like to drive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Feb 16, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I've never been in one. Been driving my 1,400 lb. V8-60 Bantam around and even it's quite a kick in the pants. What does the average SBC powered T bucket weigh? Must be a blast with all that power.

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

my t-bucket is a BLAST to drive...300 HP at 1400 lbs....it can get a little loose at times.

Attached Files:

• 012.jpg
      012.jpg
      File size:
      141.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I took mine across the scales some time ago and it was just over 1,700#. As for the driving it? Well, you remember sex when you were young? It's like that.

FAST & HARD.

Okay... okay... with a good V8, the power to weight ratio is crazy cool. I have a 350 SBC with a mild cam and lifters. I figure I make a conservative 225 HP. My car isn't "the fastest car in the valley", but it's faster than most regular cars.

The saying that, "it's a motorcycle that won't fall over", is true.:cool:

4. It all about power to weight
    The more power you have, the longer you'll need to wait - for everyone to catch up :)

5. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I got wheelie bars on mine and if I get it to hook-up just right shifting into second gear, I get the front wheels up...thats the easy part, getting it down smooth is the trick...lol

6. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built this one with a stock 305, it was fun:

[​IMG]

Rebuilt the car with a hopped up 350 and 5 speed, it was wild! Completely effortless burnouts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Sweet rides. Choppedtudor, your engine looks set back some, or is the wheelbase longer? You have nice discs up front but aren't you worried about those narrow tires skidding? I guess you can put the engine pretty much wherever you want as well as the wheelbase.

Verno that looks bitchin' in blue!

8. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I had one 1476 lbs and a stroker Merc Flatty and a 5 spd. More fun than should be legal!

9. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I have rebuilt the car 3 times over the years, owned it since 1982...the last 'remodel' involved moving the motor and body back to allow wheelstands...5" driveshaft. the fuel tank and battery tray hang off the rear of the frame. I'm using wilwood disks on Hallcraft wires in front, and NO they don't skid, scuff or drift.

10. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

This is the view most guys on the street see.....

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      125.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun, not necessarily a car you want to jump in and make a 700 mile road trip to Bonneville in but great for trips for a burger. When I had mine on the road I loaded my golf clubs in it for golf class at the jr college I was attending and off I went to school. It got way better gas mileage than my 57 Panel did.

I'd like to build another one some day and use some of my left over parts on it.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah, I don't foresee too many long freeway drives in my Bantam pickup. Squeezing my 6' 200+ lb. carcass in it is bad enough, if a friend gets in nobody better fart or a window may blow out. And I'm also hoping for decent mileage, damn stuff is over $4 a gallon around here.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember, in CA, if you can keep it under 1800lbs. you are not required to have fenders!

14. Keep

Keep

Its an absolute blast!

As for the long drives, if you take your time when you are designing your seats, longer drives are not an issue. If you just slap some things together, then well yeah it may hurt a bit.

15. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

Yeah, I've got woven jute under my seat cushions...it's very nice to sit in.

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A T Bucket with poorly planned seats is a pain in the ass. The correct shocks make a difference too. I just found that out myself.

17. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

All I know about them is I have never seen anyone over forty years old in one. Just saying. :rolleyes:

18. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

I'm 54 and have been drivin my T-Bucket for 30 years.....why is that such a surprise?

19. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

IIRC, it's 1500, and the vehicle has to be manufactured and initially registered prior to 1/1/71.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct sir!

Fenders and Mudguards

27600. No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.

Amended Ch. 215, Stats. 1970. Effective November 23, 1970.

21. The last one I rode in was close to 30 years ago,,big/wide tires on the rear,Hallcraft wires with motorcycle tires,short wheel base SBC with a 4 speed transmision,what was it like to drive,,,extremely fast,,extremely squirrely and the ride through a corn field was extremely scarey when the driver lost control.

Luckily no one was hurt except the owners pride,he now drives a 34 Plymouth sedan. HRP

22. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

For reals?How do you know this?

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is 1500. I got the number wrong, sorry.

24. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

See post #20.

26. storm king

storm king

I've had two T buckets, both with 440 Mopars in them. Over 400 horse power, under 2,000 lbs. Figure it out! They are fun, fun, fun!

27. I got to spend a summer behind the wheel of my buddies steel 1919. It had bias-ply bigs and littles, a dual quad nailhead, 2 speed automatic and an A rearend. The car was built in the 60's by a couple of MSRA members from St. Paul, Mn. That car is a blast to drive! Although, it was a lot like driving a basketball before we balanced the tires. Building one of my own is on my "to-do" list.

28. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

YEah i got it.Thanks.I noticed that after i posted.

29. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The term 'self control' comes to mind, and I'm not certain I have enough!

Might be a good idea to carry that fenderless CVC blurb in the glove box, Mr. CHP Rookie may not have had that one on the test.

30. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I can't wait to find out... I don't know about the wieght but the built Y-block used to push my Ol 57 wagon pretty hard... with 3:54 rear and tall tires in sould have a good top end... I hoping to have it finished this summer since I running out of things to do or change...

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.