Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's a good electric fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Nov 6, 2019.

1. I've had real good luck with Mallory pumps, they are of the gyrater style, easily taken apart and cleaned if need be, just a rubber O-ring that seals the two halves of the body.

Attached Files:

2. 41 C28

41 C28

Do you have a number for the pump you're using on your Dodge? I've plagued with fuel pump problems on my 41 Chrysler.

3. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Mallory is out of business .Owned by Holley..

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. 5280A2

5280A2

For those promoting vane style rotary pumps, I think they are great if you're moving a large volume of fuel at higher pressures, and if you can plumb your system with a return line as part of regulating fuel pressure. My set-up is a pair of Holley 94's that don't like more than 2.5-3 lbs. of pressure on a Model A using the A fuel tank, so no options for a return line. I started with a Holley rotary pump that was way overkill from a fuel capacity standpoint, and throttling it with a pressure regulator made it drone constantly as it pumped against a head at all times. I'm much happier with the Airtex pulse pump; it clicks initially but becomes silent as soon as the pressure comes up. Like everything else you'll be happiest with a pump that matches the demands of your fuel delivery system.

Frankie47 and scrap metal 48 like this.
  5. blackanblue

blackanblue

X2 on the Carter 12 volt pump.

6. X2
    I have a Holley Blue in my O/T.
    Good pump but the noise will drive you out of your mind.
    Been considering a change for a while.
    Good thread, will be watching.

7. INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  8. not much to add.....but like Jim's new pic over the last one......

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

10. Did you miss every link I posted said Mallory or the big fat sticker that says MALLORY right on the pump I just bought ??? If your contribution to this post is trying to correct someone at least try and get that right.

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Mallory
    By MSD
    right there on the label .
    Yep , I see it !!
    Thanks

12. I'll try to remember to check when I get home tonight.

13. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Holley pumps are noisy.

14. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If you can hear your fuel pump over your pipes , your pipes aren't loud enough LOL

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  15. HELPFUL HINT
    I like using my old special cars as daily drivers.
    Long ago when I had another fuel pump quit after lots of use.... quit on the side of the highway far far from home.....
    I decided never to allow that again.
    From then on, in the early 90s, I started installing TWO pumps side by side, connected in parallel by a plumbing tee at each end, and a double throw switch hidden under the seat.
    If I ever have a fuel pump failure, I can simply flip the switch and drive on.
    Repairs can come whenever its handy.
    I have never gotten sidelined by a pump prob since the early 90s
    The middle position of the switch also acts as a hidden disabling device to resist thieves for quite a good while.
    The built in valves in the pumps seem to prevent back flowing between the pumps and tees - if that gets gets brought up by a sceptic :)

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I ran dual "rattle" pumps in my IH trucks. It works just as you described.

Recently, I installed Edelbrock branded pumps in an Off Topic Cummins diesel conversion. These pumps are NOT "rattle" pumps, appear to be some sort of turbine or gear pump - no valve and very restrictive when trying to draw through one of these pumps.

A couple of pictures.

Electric pumps - Low side - Low res.jpg

From left to right. First a ball valve (the fuel tank is always full when you need to replace a filter or pump)
    Tee fitting to provide 2 pumps
    Fuel filter (supplied with the Edelbrock pump)
    Edelbrock electric fuel pump (Green because this is a diesel truck)

On to the next picture.

Electric pumps - High side - High res.jpg
    Filters
    Pumps
    Check valves (Did not think it would be agood idea to flow fuel backwards (no check valve) through these pumps)
    Tee
    And off to the engine

And I highly recommend a fuel pressure gauge. It allows you to see a plugged filter/failing fuel pump. Also, can be an early warning on vapor lock.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

How has this set up worked out?

I have been considering a similar set up on my one project. I would love to run a rotary vane style pump, but due to how low the car is, a Carter or Holley pump is below the lowest point of the car. These "ticker" pumps from Holley and Edelbrock would allow for plumbing that is much lower profile, but they only flow 32 gph, the very upper limit for the ~320 hp engine. I was considering running 2 of them parallel to increase the volume of fuel.

This set up looks like it would work for me too.

18. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Buy 2 Carter Pumps And Some Hearing Protection...

19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

This Edelbrock is NOT a ticker (draw through) pump. The Edelbrock web site calls it "an in-line style rotor and vane pump design." When I had a stock diaphragm pump on the engine, the restriction from the Edelbrock electric pump reduced the output of the diaphragm pump to under one PSI.

There are 2 Edelbrock electric pump for gas.
    Fuel Pump, Electric, External, Inline, 30 gph, 2-3.5 psi
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-17303

Fuel Pump, Electric, External, Inline, 38 gph, 4-7 psi
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-17301

Going to depend on how much fuel pressure your carbs will tolerate. My "opinion" is that 2 pumps in parallel should work great. Pay some attention to the internal passage sizes in the required fittings. Some of the off-the-shelf fittings from the hardware store have incredibly small passages. I measure the fuel pressure at the output of the final fuel filter (the diesel world is a little different...).

AFTERTHOUGHT: These pumps use a 5/16" hose. Using a 3/8" suction hose , 3/8" input fuel filters, 3/8" check valves and a 3/8" line to the carb should minimize restrictions (Don't know if this is overkill...)

NOTES on my installation:
    1. Edelbrock GREEN pumps are for diesel.
    2. This application is a 105 HP Cummins 4bt diesel engine. With modifications, almost 150 HP to the rear wheels (chassis dyno). No where near the fuel flow requirements of your engine.
    3. Pump outputs are 8 PSI and 7 PSI, individually selected by a toggle switch. Eventually - all electric fuel pumps commit suicide - usually at the maximally inconvenient moment. It is nice to have immediate backup at the flip of a toggle switch. One way check valves installed on the output of each pump. About 4 years and 11K miles with no problems.

Russ

20. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Not cheap new but am currently using a Holley Red with no problems. I have it wired with a cut off switch for car theft protection and also for those times working on car with ignition on but don’t want pump running.

21. 4tford

4tford

After reading the replies on this thread and needing a new pump because may carter p4070 just took a dump after 18 years I checked on a new carter and its produced in China that makes me want to change source for my pump. I'm looking for best pump made in the USA for my application. The carter worked well on my hemi with 2X 600CFM Eldebrocks.

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I have to ask the question; why an electric fuel pump? If there's no option to use a mechanical, I understand. But if there's any way you can use a mechanical fuel pump I sure would! I avoid electric fuel pumps whenever possible, but have one on my Austin gasser simply because it's physically impossible to use a stock mechanical in the cramped engine bay.
    I run a Mallory in it after the first Holley blue pump failed in 3 years. I got the Mallory, and it's been in there 8 years now, but after losing the Holley I also got an inexpensive pump for about 435 that's still NIB in my trunk, just for emergency situations. I was afraid of getting stuck again, soo it's my backup still unused.

23. leon bee

leon bee

I bought a new Carter pump a couple months ago for my GMC van; off topic truck, but it is my parts gathering vehicle. Headed out to Illinois, new pump lasted 504 miles. Could have gotten a cheaper pump, but wanted a good one.

24. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The junkyards are full of cars with electric fuel pumps. My DD has 180K miles on it, fuel pump still working fine. If I were going to run an electric pump, I’d go get an OEM production car one. They seem pretty reliable.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Problem is almost all factory fuel pumps these days are in tank pumps, and specific to a certain tank and mounting bolt pattern. Without major mods they mostly aren't easily adaptable to older cars.

26. 4tford

4tford

That's what worries me about carter and it's made in China.

27. AHotRod

AHotRod

TrailerTrashToo and chevy57dude like this.