Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats a chevy gonna cost?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Wondering what the going rate is for 1930-1932 Chevrolet, yes I said Chevrolet, coupe and or sedan??? In original condition. It pretty easy to come up with a ball park figure for a 28-31 ford model a, because they are everywhere. But I cant say the same for a chevy. 1932-chevy-2dr-sedan.jpg

2. finn

finn

One around here was priced at 17k last year. Down to 11.5k about a month ago.

Don't know if it sold.

Pictures looked ok., much better than yours. Probably a good driver quality restoration.

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

There's a lot of structural wood in those.

The condition of it should affect the price.

4. The Chevys are not everywhere because the wood rotted and they were scraped. Be sure to check the wood carefully and allow for it in the price and what you intend to do with the car.

Charlie Stephens

5. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

I've been on the HAMB for about 5 years and have read through countless model a threads. Here lately the itch for one has really got bad. But I ran across a 32 chevy sedan that looks like a really complete project.

6. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

here is a picture of the car in question

7. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

8. squirrel

squirrel

wild guess 5k, maybe more if it's in really good condition structurally. look at the wooden floor rails, around the doors, windows, where door hinges attach, around the top opening, etc.

Although pricing is one of those things that two guys have to agree on. Depends on how much you want the car, and what else you can find, and how bad he wants to get rid of it

9. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Outside alone looks solid. As most have said the wood is a concern. I would say 4k.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  10. ken1939

ken1939

Its a buyers market right now, I would not go higher thank 4k. All the wood is available to replace, the body frame rails probably are the ones that will be the worst, but on a closed car could be ok. Check to see how the doors open and close, that will tell you if the cowl wood is need of replacement. I think the 32 Chevys were one of the best looking for its era.

11. I had a friend that got a good deal on a 1932 Chevy sedan,but after he got it home he found all the wood was bad,,almost 3 thousand bucks later he had a solid car.

End result,buy the best car you can find,,Mike had 5 grand in buying the car after he bought the wood kit. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. missysdad1

missysdad1

These are beautiful cars and make great street rods...but be aware that they were constructed by nailing (!) sheet metal body panels onto a wooden skeleton. So the structural integrity of the car depends totally upon the condition of the wood.

Here's a quick overview from Hemmings: http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2012/03/01/hmn_buyers_guide1.html

Post-1932 Fords, on the other hand, used some structural wood but most of the body strength came from the metal inner structure to which the body panels were welded. Model A Fords were a transition and used a combination of wood and metal in their structural makeup.

So, price should be your second consideration...unless you are a skilled restoration expert who has the ability to totally rebuild the wood skeleton and re-install the body panels BEFORE he even begins to turn it into a street rod.

Perhaps this explains why you see so few Chevys used as street rods - and almost never as hot rods. So...if this is your first time around, stick to metal-bodied cars. My $.02.

13. The wood would be your major concern, but i've done 2 early chevys in 1x1" steel tubing, not hard, a little time consuming, but i like playing in the garage so no biggie. There's been more and more stuff being repoped for early chevys, so depending on what route you plan fenders no fenders, that's gotta add to a build cost, or sell off the stuff you don't want and recoupe some of your purchase price.
    Does the car run, drive, start, stop? That all plays into the value. 5-8k I'd say, but i'm partical to 32 chevys.

14. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Wow, these figures are a lot lower then I had in mind. I am assuming if this was a ford in the same condition, not a 32 of course. That the price would be higher?!?

Keep it vintage....

King Karl likes this.
  15. chopped

chopped

The figures are low, nobody is giving them away.

16. what's his asking price?

17. Been said a bunch of times, but the condition of the wood has a big effect on the cost. That being said, that is a nice, clean '32 and being a popular year with the Chevy guys, you may spend closer to the 8K end that PBR quoted.

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I don't know what It's going to cost ya but I bet nobody's gonna bitch if you put a sbc in it!:D

ClayMart likes this.
  19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

For the sake of disputing this comment, I will. Put a 302 Jimmy in that thing! :D

Am I the only one that notices the rear fender seems to be missing its rear half? Was it just cut off or wrecked in the back? It looks like it was just cut off from here, but like you said.. you don't come across early Chevys often. You don't come across early Chevy parts often either.

Screen shot 2014-06-29 at 3.58.21 PM.png

20. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Both rear fenders are cut like that. But it comes with another set. He said it ran years ago but the motor has since stuck.

Keep it vintage....

21. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1404077346.681358.jpg

Keep it vintage....

22. That could be a cool looking ride! Like everyone else said look over the condition of the wood. I replaced all the wood in my 33 with steel and I'm happy with the results.

23. [QUOTE="TexasSpeed, post: 10492720, member: 96620"you don't come across early Chevys often. You don't come across early Chevy parts often either.

View attachment 2656946 [/QUOTE]

They actually repop rear fenders

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Open mouth .. Insert foot ..

25. 32 Chevrolet's are not in the same price range as a 32 Ford, but that doesn't mean you should shun them. That is a great looking car, worth saving in my opinion.

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Go for it. I have a 35 Chevy phaeton. How often do you see GM cars as opposed to the blue oval make! I know of 2 x 32 Chevy Landau phaetons that I would love to buy but getting them here is cost prohibitive.

27. Ok spill the beans....where are they?

28. logride

logride
    from CB IA

• image.jpg Find a solid one and save yourself a lot of headaches.

29. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Rear fenders are available in glass or steel, as are the front fenders, side aprons, front/rear aprons, runningboards. etc.

30. cool car! check it out well like how much door sag it has. those engines run great with a t5 behind them. some ATF/ACETONE in the cylinders will unstick rings after soaking a few days! price out wood kit and figure in your time for r&r!