Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's a 59AB running flathead worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverdun, Aug 19, 2016.

1. I have a 40' ford coupe with a great running flathead in it, 4 speed overdrive trans with an open driveline. I love the looks and sound of the flattie but I want more power and AC. What's the engine worth.

Thanks in advance.

2. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

x2 ^^^^^^ That's been my experience.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Running, fresh pulled FH value varies wildly depending on region.

Surf your local Craigslist and see what's out there, because a $300 - $800 engine in Kansas or California is a $600 - $1200 engine in Massachusetts.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Zoar, Ohio

If I could run that engine and transmission in your car.
    And it behaved flawlessly.
    I would pay 1200-1500 for it.
    Setting on the garage floor with a for sale sign in front of it would drop it to 600-800.
    Sorry. But I think your making a big mistake. If you want air and more power. Jump into mommas SUV.
    When I was in the market when I bought my 37, I would have given my left nut for your 40 ford with that power train.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    clunker likes this.
  6. Tetanus

Tetanus

I think your title of the post is wrong,it should be whats a 40 ford coupe without a flathead worth vs a traditional flathead powered car?

7. Petejoe is right. When you can start it, drive it with water in it and there are no issues, is makes a ton of difference.

8. The engine was why I got the car in the first place. I wouldn't take it out unless it was sold first. I know nothing about them and that is one of my issues. I drive my cars everywhere and I would like it to run a little cooler. Possibly a set of aluminum heads and maybe louvers in the hood. Not sure where to go with this one......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. i've always had an issue when deciding to rip apart a car that was just fine the way it is

that being said , a SBC fits like it was made to go into a `40 Ford

Kan Kustom likes this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

I think we all understand your dilemma (and what a terrible dilemma to have....right guys!) but remember.....it's your car to do with what you like! :)

For what it's worth............................
    I am on my second flathead now. One of the cars, my 35 slantback is gone. My roadster has a built 59A and both flatties have given me some issues and frustrations over time. Part of it is the nature of the beast and the other part is all the mods made to it. The roadster has plenty of getup and go for me. I have run highway speeds for short distances and no issues. Runs cool all the time. Would I take it cross country......probably not!
    If I had to do it all over again with my 29.......it would be a SBC only for the fact that everything I needed for it came from south of the border (USA) and cost me an arm and a leg to get it here but I wanted a flathead.

Now, my tired 80k, oil dripping, 265 55 Chev in my '32 has given me no grief whatsoever. Lucky? Could be. Yes, it needs a rebuild but it fires up every time, no overheating, runs great, looks good, fit like it was made for it. I just keep adding oil for this season and will rebuild it over this coming winter.

Really, there isn't that much different to know about flatties. They are like any engine, air/fuel/spark gets them all going. Overheating can be sorted out.
    As far as a/c goes.....up this way we don't get enough heat long enough to worry about it but it certainly is a nice feature.
    Like has been said.....a SBC fits in as nice as can be and it's still traditional in my mind (265/283/327 versions) and parts are readily available at the local parts stores.
    So, in my mind, you can't lose either way.
    Make your decision and go for it!

If you decide to rid the flattie.....the more you know about it the better like rebuilt......miles on it......etc helps but, I don't pay a lot of money for them until I have seen the inside and had them gone over for cracks. A good idea is to offer a return/refund if found to be bad.
    It took me 4 engines to get one good one but none of them cost me more that $50.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Kan Kustom likes this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

More if it has the chrome acorn nuts on the head studs. (I couldn't resist)

Pat

stillrunners likes this.
  12. I'm glad tbe previous owner put the chrome acorns on it now......it will be at jalo[yrama in all its glory...flattie and all. after that I can't say.
    Thanks guys....you all make valis points. Didn't ford send a bunch of 40's to the GM plants for engines?

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If Ford sent any 40's to the GM plants for engines, it would have been for Olds or Cadillac engines !

stillrunners and dan31 like this.