Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's a 52 fleetline worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Taylor J onion, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Found a 52 fleetline 2 dr I like just trying to figure out what there worth. Guy claims it will run says very solid other then soft spots on the floor in some places. What's the market on them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Without photos we are at a standstill.

wvenfield likes this.
  3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I love those! The guy says it "will run" but it's not? If it's not running but will run, then why doesn't he get it running? If the floors are rusty ("soft spots" means rusty) then it is not very solid at all. That's like saying someone is very healthy except for the cancer. Not trying to be a smart aleck; just deciphering the claims of the seller.

The Old Cars Report Price Guide for Jan/Feb 2020 lists these estimated values according to condition
    1. $23,000
    2. $16,100
    3. $10,350
    4. $ 4,600
    5. $ 2,760
    6. $ 920
    My guess is that not running and with rusty floors (and likely rust elsewhere that he's not aware of or disclosing) the value would be somewhere between No. 5 and No. 6, depending on how badly you want it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  4. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Depends on the body for me......got photos ?

5. Irvan

Irvan

I had one 8 or 9 years ago and put it on craigslist in Kansas City. I had 5 responses when i woke up the next day saying they would take it and all from Southern California. I don't know what they are worth but I know where they want them.

tractorguy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

Oh and he forgot to mention..."That'll buff out"!:rolleyes:

chopped likes this.
  7. Pics p;ease, then we can help...it's only worth what YOU want to pay really.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Not the best pics 20200316_103125.jpeg 20200316_103201.jpeg 20200316_103018.jpeg 20200316_103041.jpeg

9. Look over all the info and Vin. Looks to be a 51 by the grill and parking lights. Looking at redoing chrome bumpers and not knowing what lies underneath. Start at $5000.

The Mullet, slv63 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Yeah your right that is a 51 grill

11. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Wonder what that's means if vin plates were swapped for a title or something

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If the floors are rusted there is a good chance the floor braces and or body mounts are rusted as well. Common on these cars even when the bodies are still solid, just something to check. Otherwise thats a great looking car, and those stovebolt 6 3speed drivetrains are slow but will run forever. I could see that car selling for anywhere from 6k to 10k depending on who wants it and where they are.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

slv63 and Tri-power37 like this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Also the 51 grill is a bolt in and a common swap. I've got a couple 51/52 grills on the wall. Used to could buy them cheap, not so much now days.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  14. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

Nice looking car in the pictures - seems to show and honest car that doesn’t appear to be to faked up. Value is hard to determine I would pay nothing for a s@#t car and handsomely overpay for a good car. The more solid the underneath the more I would pay.

The best advice I could offer is don’t buy the car unless it goes up on a hoist and you can spend a decent amount of time poking around underneath it with a flashlight having a hard look at everything. Also a magnet and a hard look at the side panels could find super thick bondo. Cool looking car !

Nostrebor likes this.
  15. wvenfield

wvenfield

I don't know the value but from here that is a good looking car

Tri-power37 likes this.
  16. Had one
    Great cars cheap to fix, build, hot rod etc.
    Easy n fun to work on.

bought mine running driving 235 splash engine with 3 speed all original good chrome for 5 grand.

mom that shape up here I’ve seen em anywhere from 3500 to 7 grand

all depends on how bad the guy wants to sell it and how bad the other guy wants to buy it.

5 grand is fair in both ends if it does run and drive.

Tri-power37 likes this.
  17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I was told you never buy a car at night or in the rain. Hows it look dry?

chrome and interior need done, and thats not cheap. How many sins is the body hiding?

18. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

What's that they say, The girls all look prettier at closing time.

19. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Good looking car ( I may be a little biased). Parts are cheap and plentiful, new or used. Also, on the subject of floor boards, I have been told that you can use '55-'57 floor panels with a little modification for about half the price of the correct years. I say if the price is right and the car feels right , then do it!

Taylor J onion likes this.
  20. I love those cars. It's hard to put a price on love. I'd probably pay to much. Your only 20 something. If can drive it and do the work as needed. Go for it. If your just wanting to flip and make some cash. You should probably pass. I'd go 5 or 6 K. Don't forget Love is blind. Ron.......

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

when you go on an international forum and ask what a car is worth you are asking how much would you pay for it where you live.

minimum of 5 g's where I live no matter what else is wrong with it. that's a selling price. I wouldn't pay that much.

22. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

Not looking to flip, looking to invest some time and love into it. From talking to the guy the car came from NC hopefully underside looks clean

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The 5000 & up suggestions seem high to me, given the admitted rusty floors and ?? How much more. There is a lengthy thread on the HAMB lamenting the soft prices and lower demand for H.A.M.B. friendly cars. The price recommendations seem to me out of sync with that popular notion. Further, when it come to body work, paint, upholstery.....these are no cheaper to fix than more valuable models.....labor and material is the same.

Now, just for the record, I like these cars, years ago had one. A close friend recently bought one. Nonetheless, in my mind, 3500 would be a reasonable amount to consider. But the tired old cliche’, “it’s worth whatever someone will pay” is and always will be the most accurate answer.

Ray

24. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

I was trying to find similar cars to compare with and not having much luck the car is listed under 5k as it is so I'm trying to aim closer to 4k if it checks out planning on going Wednesday with a trailer and try to make a deal would go today but it's a 2 hr 1 way trip

25. Taylor J onion

Taylor J onion

So I questioned the grill and the year of the car

"Car was checked over by North Carolina DMV it was a South Carolina car and had to verified by NC.NC issues a NC vin and attaches it to the car title matches that.Car was at one time a Pa car.It now has a Pa title.Car could be a 51 that was Sold in 52 and titled that way,That's all I know about.The Pa title matches the VIN on the car"

26. 52HardTop

52HardTop

If that car is listed under 5k, I'd be taking that with me. Look it over well. No doubt, as it's been said, you're probably going to find rust under that car and in the floor braces. All parts are made and available today. I had a 51 back in the early 70s. It was a great car and wished I had it today. It sat in a driveway for years until I bought it. It took very little work to get the 216 running and driving again. It looks to me it is pretty stock and original car in pretty good shape. The Fleetline is highly desirable and you're not going to come across a nice evry day of the week. I wouldn't want to leave without it if it is just for a few extras bucks.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

with how much work?

all of the rust damage that can not be seen

not a time for hope but, true facts

not if he is already admitting that there is rusted areas

Rust

Rust -- if you have very good skills with rust repair, and know that you will have to gut most of interior to replace floors, likely bottom of doors and fenders - and new paint, chrome work, unknown drive train repair than go for it - would not pay $5k here in California

Hollywood-East likes this.
  28. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

'51 grille in a '52 was SOP … nobody wanted a rusty, grayish black colored grille in their '52. Next step - find a pair of chromed 1 piece bumpers.

29. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Make sure the title matches the vin on the door pillar and not the engine number, unless you want to run that engine forever. BTDT.

Otherwise, rust is rust. Regardless of the car, if the floor is rusty, then the trunk will be too, as will the supports more than likely. I spent a bit more cash than is being suggested to buy a car that came from south Texas because I am just tired of chasing rust. It has been worth every penny. Mine ran/drove/was lowered/ had nicer wheels, was sbc swapped as well. 51/52 are really neat cars to play with... good luck!!

30. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I'm going with 3800. Bringing a trailer...

Tri-power37 likes this.