Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What's a 31 5 window Ford in MINT shape worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ozzie, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Ozzie

Ozzie

Hi fellow brothers and sisters. I'm on the crossroads here. I'm bidding on a 31 ford 5 window that looks like it was pulled out of cold storage for the last 70+ years. Stock Stock Stock, re furbished about 10 years ago, cream yellow, and according to the owner who I've spoken with several times, It drives like a cream, still has mechanical brakes, has new water pump, new battery, starts right up, gets driven about 3 times per week to dinner, etc.. by the owner and it was re painted no bondo, etc.. 10 years ago, it's in Northern New York, I think Western? ABout 60 miles south of Buffalo. I'm interested in the car, But if I win it, I'd like to make it more drivable on everyday trips. I was thinking the following for this Stock 31.
    350/350, new Radiator, 12 volts new wiring front to back, interior stock looking gauges new rear end, and new Mustang 2 style front. Keep the rims and tires if possible, keep it looking super stock, except for maybe a wee bit wider wheels fill those fenders a bit more. What do you think? it's on that evil site right now, only 2 days left. But the price is super low I think, Less than 9K

Of course this will mean another crazy adventure of me flying up with a bag of tools and driving her back, SLOW!!!!! and only in the daytime!!!! I'm not falling for that (she's working fine") trick, LOL!!

Thanks for your help folks..

Attached Files:

2. Don't destroy an original go find something that is already a work in progress. Or look for parts on egay to build what you want, not a complete og car. You already basically said your going to spend thousands more to make it more drivable so you need to look for something else. Don't be stupid.

"The Great Depression, like most other periods of severe unemployment, was produced by government mismanagement rather than by any inherent instability of the private economy.-Milton Friedman, vote wisely!"

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Youd get 30k here for it.

4. Ozzie

Ozzie

Copy that, I hear ya Weeks, I just wish that little 4 cylinder could power a nice rear end that would let me drive 75 on the highway and then I'd leave it all like that. I'm sure someone's done that already. Anyone have a rear end that will mate to this? I'm sure I can switch out the 3 speed for a 4 speed and then convert the banjo to an open drive with better gearing and do what I want without all the changes.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

No kidding Dude, why buy something that nice and turn it into a STREET ROD??

For what you are wanting to do find a body and start from there, build exactly what you want from the ground up. Save the nice stockers for nice stocker folks

6. Dyce

Dyce

Seems strange they filled the top with steel, but left the mechanical brakes. You get it cheap enough you could build a neat little hotrod without touching the body. Just build a frame and swap it out.

7. Ozzie

Ozzie

Ahh good thing, didn't realize that, the top shouldn't be filled that way should it? Thanks Dyce

8. damnfingers

damnfingers

Keep it semi-stock...add some banger speed equipment, a Mitchell overdrive and air conditioning (yes, Model A engines can handle A/C). If you have to change the wheels/tires, go to the 16" wheels from the later cars.

9. awsum55

awsum55
    from Kansas

10. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

You'd perhaps be surprised how 'drivable' and how much fun an 'enhanced' Model A can be. Check out the monthly 'banger posts here, and also on Fordbarn and Ahooga mb's for hints on keeping one looking original and driving nicely. An aside, it already looks like a street rod with the cream paint. All A's originally had black fenders, along with a broad array of upper body and molding colors. the cream paint could be a factor in depressing the purchase price a little -- not original, and not really a rod with the 19" wheels. (I know, "it's your car you can do with it what you want") Also, you can get 3.54 gears in a Model A rear axle, but with an overdrive it seems to like the original 3.78s. You'll also want to go thru the brakes thoroughly, to eliminate any slop and free play from the mechanical system. Lots of Model A guys (me included) prefer the original mechanicals over a cobbled-up, poorly maintained hydraulic system that was done who-know-when with questionable parts. My coupe with mechanicals can (and had to, just last week) lock up all four at 40mph when needed.
    Fearless

11. 5wbomber

5wbomber
    BANNED

cut it up...........who cares, it aint origional.even if it was rod it anyways, you can have a cheap hotrod from a stock model A. like the guy above me said, there is lots of options for stock model A's..............and yep he mechanical brakes do lock up at 50mph....they saved my life!

12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outch , that one hurt! There´re so many nice dropped I-beams out there, why ruin a good original car with a cheapo-style 70s Mustang frontend? I wouldn´t do that to a car that nice if I were you, I´d rather find a project car.... just my 2 cents.
    But then again, it´s your car, you decide.
    Chris

13. Dyce

Dyce

Gave me a full body shudder.....

14. hemifarris

hemifarris

The roof should have a cloth insert, plus the radiator shell is a 1930 and not a 1931.......
    Mechanical brakes work fine if adjusted properly. Ford Motor Co. didn't offer hydraulic brakes until 1939 and the '32-'38 cars were larger,heavier and ran V8's...The brakes will work as well as your brain will allow. The way some guys drive, 4 wheel discs aren't adequate enough.......P.S. That's not a stock '31 Model A color.

15. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Please don't ruin that fantastic car with a boring ass 350/350 and a Mustang 2 front end! If that car gets hot rodded (which it should), do something really bad ass with it. If thats what you want, find it elsewhere and leave that baby alone. 2 cents.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Anyone that would paint a stone stock Model A that color is hiding something. Fly up and inspect the turd first, plane tickets are cleaper that a car project that sucks money out of you every day you own it.

17. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

It's only metal! cut it

18. Indeed, and as stated there are beautiful dropped axle setups for these cars. Mustang II suspension looks retarded on even the nicest rod. If you're hell bent on independent front suspension at least do the car a favor and put something like a polished Kugel or similar kit under there.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

The37Kid got it right. Go look at it, no matter what.

20. primer black ,red wheels , skulls , mexican blanket ,killer sound system and your good to go...
    just do sumtin with it

21. Mustang II? Ozzie what are you smoking? Dropped I-Beam axle, Ford 8" rear and hairpins. But still, why Hot Rod a nice stock Model A. I'd leave it alone.

22. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I would hop up the banger motor, maybe change transmissions to slow down the rpm's, dropped front axel, lower the back alittle, and change rims. That would make it a blast to drive, topic of conversation when you fill gas, and increase the value.

For me, a 350/350 with mustang front end is the makings for a street rod. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :)

Neal

23. Ozzie

Ozzie

Anyone knowledgable in the Jamestown, NY area that can see it this weekend for me? Will paypal you Gas and funds for dinner. If it's not what it seems like I will accept the negative feedback on evil bay and be done with it.

Ozzie

24. Ozzie

Ozzie

Ok , OK!!!, Dropped front, No Mustang!!, I got it, LOL and yes Polished!!, hehehe

25. Searcher

Searcher

When you can see the axel looking at the front of the car ( and even when you can't like with my 35 ) putting independent front suspension just looks wrong to my eye.

As far as rodding it...the top is already filled and it's not a stock color, so I say have at it. I'd also take those two conditions into consideration as to just how clean and original the car is. A guy who wants a stock car won't want it, so you might get it at a good price.

I'd drop a 283 and a Glide in it :D

26. Searcher

Searcher

Just to add, I'd look for evidence of rust, being in NY
    This might be why the top was filled.

27. Ozzie

Ozzie

The story is that a Doctor and his son restored the car 1o years ago and they painted it themselves, so the current owner had it painted professionally in the last year. It's got a bit more than a day left on egay. 1931 Ford Model A it's in Jamestown, NY, If there is a Hamber here who would go look at it for me this weekend it would help tremendously. And would be fun to drive it anyway. Owner is pretty open to it.

28. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offence, but this and some of your other comments make it appear that you're relatively new to this program. Do you really know what you're getting yourself into here?
    And you can bet there will be a bidding flurry as the auction closes, and that "under 9K" will change to something much, much higher. Even if it has unseen issues, that car is worth far more than 9K and there's gotta be lots of folks watching it.

29. DrJ

DrJ

Left front fender is bent, drooping down in front. see it in the second pic. On a MINT car the fenders and aprons should be Black, not body color. tha holds through 1932.
    It is a '30 radiator shell.
    Car has lot of wrong parts for a high dollar so called
    Mint" car. (Or is that just your description?)
    From where it is located it could be mostly Bondo too.
    Check it out in person.

Never do business with someone you can't reach across the table and punch in the nose.

30. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

holy shit, what is it with all the "dont cut that pretty stock car up to make a hot rod" threads lately...

fags.