Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whatever happened to Howards Cams ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straightaxle65, Mar 24, 2011.

1. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Back in 1984 on a trip to LA I went to Howards Cams at 10122 South Main and met Jerry Johanson (who passed away a few years later) and Don Johanson. Don gave me a tour of the place and at the time they still did things the old fashioned way and it was a cool place.

I remember it was about 3 in the afternoon and there was an old Kelvanator sitting in the shop and after being there for awhile Don offered me a beer. I told him I better not because I had to get back out on the freeway and he said in that case I better have a couple. He was a very nice Guy!

I know of the new Howards Cams in Wisconsin which claims to have roots in the original company but what became of the original shop? Is Don Johanson still around?

2. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Donnie sold the place, I believe, but still works there. I talked to him 4-5 months ago, about a specialty cam.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

I met Donnie at speedweek 2009. We drank some beer. He told me at that time he sold the companybut was working for the new guys. We drank some more beer. They still make cams one at a time, a lot of drag racing stuff, but they can do anything. Great guy, knows a lot about his field and also manufacturing. Did I mention beer?:)

4. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They made some great stuff,,love the old blower chain drive set ups..Still have one of the old catalogs,,,really cool stuff for the day and age

Attached Files:

5. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Thanks for the response guys. Glad to know he still likes beer! So I take it Don moved to Wisconsin?

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Nope- he was still in Cali when I talked to him.

7. anyone know where they are? I did talk to them about 6 years ago at the Iola Swap meet in WI, we were talking about a nailhead cam for my 6x2. never seen them there again, always wondered...

8. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

wel, hotroddon, you wasted 2 seconds then! Howards cams was sold and moved long ago!

I think Donnie's still here:

Chet Herbert Inland Empire
    15298 El Prado Road
    Chino, CA 91710
    Telephone: 909.393.4597

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  9. Not at all - PBRmeASAP asked where they (Howards) are , and that site I posted is current.

10. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

They made me a roller cam for my 2 cylinder big block chevy,a few years back

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Guess I better brush up on my reading comprehension skills, huh? I thought he was asking were Donnie was.

12. I used to sell cam cores to Jerry and Don in the early 80's. Love the old shop down in Watts.

Charlie

13. My first 392 had a 410-3. That was the standard for fuel cams a long time ago.

14. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

Similar story to "straightaxle" but about 22 years earlier: In 1962 my family visited our west coast cousins, at 12 I was a hotrod fan, Jack Chrisman & the Howard Cams "Twin Bears" special was dominating NHRA drags. I talked my parents into visiting their shop, they were great, took time for a kid, even gave me an aluminum piston rod which I still have (somewhere!?!)
    Funny part was my Mom, who kept talking about "that nice Mrs. Cams"
    Nice people, great hotrodders!

15. ummm thanks i guess....

280 West 35th Ave.
    Oshkosh, WI 54902
    that's what the web site says...but also last updated feb 13 2010

16. fuzzface

fuzzface

PBR, the front page design hasn't change since Feb. 13 2010 but if you look at the very bottom of the page or any page on that site, you will see it has been copyrighted 2011, so it isn't that old.

17. Yummy

Yummy

18. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

Two Sundays ago I sat with Donnie and Isky at a front engine top fuel get together that usually happens the week after Bakersfield, a week early this year. Don't ask me why, I was a guest and kept my mouth shut. They talked about many things and I do know that Donnie is still in California(not Cali).

DW

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sorry Dan, California!;)

Here's Donnie's new contact info:

Contreras Camshafts
    1327 S Lewis St
    Anaheim, CA 92805-6431
    Phone: (714) 533-6033