Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Whatcha gonna do with that car old man?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 9, 2022.

1. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I am one of the older persons on here and i have been selling my stuff at swap meets for some time, have got rid of most decent stuff,but still try to sell the rest of collection. Don

2. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I am one of the older people on here and been selling my stuff at swap meets, have sold most of better stuff but still have some things that i will keep trying to get rid of.

3. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My oldest son is a gearhead, with a car one year newer than mine. He's my right hand man when it comes to wrenching, nobody else I trust like him. He's grown up in my garage, knows what's there. He'll end up with all my car related stuff. I keep clearing out stuff I don't actually intend to use at this point, but more often than not, rather than deal with the hassle of selling I just pass it on to him. He can keep all the cores until he needs them.

Devin

4. I told my wife she should keep all of my stuff in case her next husband was a car guy. She said "No, he's into hunting and fishing." I wonder how she knows things that far in the future...

5. I thought you'd bring it to me! :rolleyes:

6. I would but i sold my trailer:p

7. I'll bring my trailer and get my Plymouth if you go before I do :D

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Memory going, too?

clem, loudbang, 54delray and 5 others like this.
  9. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know who is the more fortunate, you or your son?

10. saltracer219

saltracer219

I have a good Buddy that when he stops by reminds me that "all of your shit will be at the Garage sale that you won't be able to attend"!

11. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it referred to those people who hoard vehicles that start out as perfectly good candidates for re-building and just let them deteriorate to the point they're junk. I don't know how many times I've asked that question and the answer is always the same, "It's not for sale. One of these days, I'm going to restore it".

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

I turn 34 tomorrow....not worried about such things. Between 3 kids though, Im sure there will be cars driven

13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

If my Grandson is capable, he will get everything around here. If not, I've got a couple of nephews that might want some of it. Nobody on the wife's side gets anything unless they buy it from the estate. The boy we adopted and raised {Grandson's sperm donor} will probably still be in prison , so he'll get nothing, either.

14. Ok but you HAVE to take the the hemi with it

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

It tosses another wrinkle into the equation when you know how much time you actually have left. Troubling.

16. I don't want it then, I was gonna take your LS :p

427 sleeper and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

So true. That's why it's best to sell off your stuff before you die so that the arduous task of doing that will not be a burden to others. It's a lot of work and sadness for others to liquidate items after you're gone.

Hamtown Al, hotrodjack33 and Offset like this.
  18. What is this ls you speak of? Never heard of such a thing

19. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

68 in Novenber ... most of us live to be a bit over 100, Daddy will be 99 in a few days
    He still works on his 70 LTD, but pays for it for a few days of pain
    Child was murdered, grandson is in jail for 30 years, 2 Granddaughters dont care about old cars
    No one to leave my stuff to, Brother, Sister, Nieces and Nephews could not tell the truth to save their lives

My Friends Daddy died and he went to clean out his house and arrange everything
    Was there weeks and had to go through tons of stuff, in the end, he was sleeping on the floor
    He is a career Coast Guard guy that inspected ships with questionable cargo and crew
    He is a very nice person but tough

He told me he cried and hurt from all the memories

When he got home, he asked his Children what was important to them and got rid of the rest

He did not want his Children to be in the same situation

Ricky.

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The cars will be the easy part. My wife/family will have to figure out what to do with all my vintage guitars and amps. I really should downsize, but I hate getting rid of gear I might want to play some day.

21. A Boner

A Boner

7120428B-56AC-4799-B5BA-48B3C965832A.png

hotrodharry2, AGELE55, das858 and 7 others like this.
  22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'm certainly on the younger side of the membership here, I just turned 38. But this thread does bring up an important topic albeit not necessarily car related, which is proper end of life planning, long term care planning, asset protection, and at minimum, having a proper and current will and medical directive. I know none of us want to think about the idea of dying, but the fact of the matter is that Father Time is undefeated. My wife is an elder law attorney and she could write a book of horror stories of people who procrastinated on this and paid a hefty toll for it, or their family was left to pick up the pieces through expensive legal proceeds that could have been easily avoided with simple planning. It's wise to speak to an attorney who specializes in this area of the law, and not a general practitioner, who is not going to understand advanced strategies for asset protection, tax implications, and the like. It's money well spent. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, it's important to have your affairs in order.

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

But if you put todays prices on the list, how do you know what they may be worth 20/30 years from now?

Will a 2x4 intake be bringing 5K...........or nothing if fuel isn't available? How much will your El Camino be worth?

Remember too that the wife won't be any spring chicken either.......30 years from now .
    30 years from now you will be 4 yrs younger than me and 2 years younger than my wife of 55 years
    Hey, just realized we been married longer than you been alive....................

Anyway, she doesn't want any of my stuff so its all going to my son who likes cars and welding and machining and racing and his beautiful wife.

So the solution is to get busy and have some kids..................................................................................:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Budget36 likes this.
  24. Done got 4 kids, don't want anymore. And the average lifespan of my family is 59 years. That's not much farther, so I don't really care about 30 years from now. I told her realistic prices, not the bullshit you see most people dream of, but she doesn't wanna sell my shit, so it doesn't matter anyway. I now know what is gonna happen with my stuff.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  25. 41woodie

41woodie

Hell you already sold the one I wanted!

26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

@winr I can be adopted for a small nominal fee !!

alanp561 and ekimneirbo like this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I've already lived beyond the average age in my family so you never know how long you will live! The brother I have that is still alive is raising the average age as he will be 88 in November and I'm a 2 time cancer survivor and still going strong. Plan to live a long time and keep a positive attitude, it helps!

28. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Easy ,,, my wife can swim at the on line auction.
    I figure it will be payback for making me buy all this junk.
    The plan 'A' though is I keep kickin 'til 103.

29. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I was just pokin a little fun at you.:p I hope you make it longer than 59 so you can see just what gettin old is like:eek: Trust me, gettin old ain't for sissies..............

I think you oughtta get a 69 model vehicle and build yourself a "tribute" car....;) Bout the only thing they were makin when I was born was jeeps.......

30. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Well, started moving out my parts about 3 months ago...I'm 73 and just sold 8 Halibrands to a guy who is
    74...go figure...have all my titles signed with no buyer name filled in. I'm fortunate, have two car-guy sons
    and they know what to do with my stuff if it is not gone. Still have blocks on the stand and two walls of
    boxed parts, 6 manifolds..yadda, yadda, yadda. Once sold, I have never missed a part. Have always heard of the
    scary stories of the family have an estate garage sale with "No offer refused"...don't want that happening to me.