Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Whatcha gonna do with that car old man?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Joined here in 2019, and quickly learned that the overwhelming majority of the membership is old guys! Not very many young folk around, and being 53 years old, puts me in the younger group of the members. I generally check the birthday list everyday to see if any of my friends are on it, and while I was looking one day I just happened to notice some of the cars in the avatars, some really nice cars! Kinda got me thinking, if I kick the bucket, what's gonna happen to my car and the junk I have accumulated? I asked Ashley and she said "I'm keeping it!" I explained that she could sell the stuff and put some money in the bank to help pay bills, but she said no, she'd rather just keep everything. I told her that she could probably get around $10k out of my car, and I told her what some of the other stuff might be worth just in case. Have you thought about this scenario? My son lost interest in cars, so he isn't an option, I guess Ashley can plant flowers in the back of my El Camino lol...

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

My Son would be like Bobby Bare and declare “I’m the Winner”.

3. 1952henry

1952henry

I have a plan to catalog my junk, and put approximate value on each item. That way my wife can try to sell it or haul it away.

I don't have tons of stuff, but still. Have decided to take a few of my many flathead carbs, do cosmetic restorations on them,and sell as builders. I'm close to 54, so I hope I have a few more miles left

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

In the event that I die before I decide to sell it all off myself, I have arranged for two trusted friends to help my wife dispose of it all, with some of it allotted to them for their trouble.

5. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funeral cost being what they are you just may become fertilizer for those flowers. :)

6. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Wife has a written plan.
    Lawyer has same plan.
    All part of my living will which converts to my being dead will.

7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I told my kids that my avatar would probably be sold along with everything else to put me and mom in a home. Then I asked “ if you all want it, somebody has to change my diapers “…..I got no takers.
    Cheers all, never seen a u-haul on a hearse, and nobody gets out alive

8. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

My wife knows what I consider values to be but I have told her to sell to the first decent offer and be done with it. As the years go by though I am ridding myself of stuff. If I live another 20 years (to 97) then it will be gone. Lol.

TagMan, mrspeedyt, Boneyard51 and 5 others like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Funny that you bring that up. Being the only family member to my Father I dreaded the day that may happen. I believe it has to do with the gross factor like “my parents don’t have sex” mentality kind of thing. But I got lucky and never had to with my Father. Now nearly 4 years later I’m doing what I thought I could not do with my girlfriends Father. Go figure?

10. Dan Coburn

Dan Coburn
    from Kelso WA

My boy (11 years old) will get everything. Kinda like how I have his great grandpa's 41 ford now. Continue the tradition.

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Told my wife to have auction. Told her to use the words 32 3w, 50 yrs collection of chevy parts, LT1,56 chevy ,59 el Camino and so on. Would have plenty of folks at auction.!

12. Budget36

Budget36

Man, my dads line was “this is all going to be yours someday “. When we’d look at all the junk accumulated. I hauled out around 10 ton of scrap. Needed to haul more out, but got burnt out.
    Anything incomplete I don’t expect any of my daughter will complete, so whatever they get for it, it’s theirs. I should really start organizing tools properly, my oldest turns a wrench now and then. She can keep what she wants, sell the rest on eBay, etc, or just let it sit, give it away, whatever she wants.
    The wife flew the coup over 10 years ago, she has no worries, and gets nothing either. Win for her, win for me.

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My grandson is getting my car and all of my tools, it's in my will along with my racing leathers from when I raced motorcycles, short track and half mile.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gave my roadster to my son to enjoy as i have for 300,000 happy miles!

RDR, Chili Phil, 1929rats and 9 others like this.
  15. The funny thing is that when the H.A.M.B started it was an underground almost punk rock deal, full of mostly young guys, like Bob Bleed, Axle from the Shifters, members of the Burbank Choppers etc... The guys who are now is our early 40s to mid 50s.

There are still many of us who have kept the drive for period correct hot rodding and racing, but several are using other forms of media and either only check in and don't post, or flat out don't use the H.A.M.B. anymore.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My wife already has the Craigslist ads all typed up, and my food tastes funny.

48fordnut, bchctybob, Boryca and 49 others like this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Sounds like a case for Perry Mason.

RDR, Desoto291Hemi, Offset and 2 others like this.
  18. Kid that adopted me is taking flying lessons for the day my OT project gets done. I've mentioned to him he doesn't really need it as it's homebuilt, but his mind's made up. I got rid of about 95% of my automotive shit when the rubber meeting the road stopped being fun for me. That major dump got me the needed space and motivation for the new project. Nowdays it has to have tight turns, long straights and be closed off, to get me behind the wheel of a non-stock automobile. So there won't be much left when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

19. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

0 - Missy's garage.jpg Our blended family of 5 kids get along very well - I did establish who is in charge after we are gone.

Since this sign was made, Missy has purchased a smaller home in town and wants nothing to do with the care of a couple acres. The actual question of who inherits this 42year old doublewide mobile home is open (it is worth somewhat more than the cost of tearing it down and hauling it off....). My instructions are it goes to any kid that currently needs an inexpensive place to live. Most likely, I will be auctioned off (a sale would require pre-sale maintenance - probably not cost effective - and the executor does not need these problems).

I'm now 78. About 10 years ago, I gave away all the IH truck parts. Recently, I gave away 4 Volvo transmissions - maybe one good transmission can be assembled.

Russ

20. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Already started liquidating parts and memorabilia.
    Trying to get my 32 tub finished so I can drive it before I fall off my perch.
    I don,t want people that I care about to have to deal with it when I,m gone

21. Same age as OP here. There's going to be a rollback with my truck on it and a hearse with a u-haul behind it, and it's ALL going in the hole.

Turns out, you CAN take it with you. :D:D:D

evil clown, 2Blue2, 70L34 and 6 others like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I’m only 60 but this is from 50 years ago when I heard it. “Did you hear the one about the parrot with no legs?”

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to start doing it this year but over the next year everything that is not dedicated to a specific project is going away, most of it hopefully sold at swap meets next year or sold a piece at a time. Most of what gets sold will help pay for what I don't have for the 48 now.
    My kids will have to divide up the tools and shop equipment between them and my daughter spoke for the 48 a long time ago.

24. I’m trying to sell all my stuff to @Lloyd's paint & glass he seems reluctant to make the 5-6 hour drive tho:D

RDR, hotrodharry2, lumpy 63 and 7 others like this.
  25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

When my sons are over, we kinda do a walk thru with whatever I might have made or bought with a price.

Example: bought this tubing bender, if I die you should be able to 250 out of it, the dies another 50 a piece. Etc.

26. squirrel

squirrel

I don't care. I'll be dead.

RDR, 2OLD2FAST, VANDENPLAS and 37 others like this.
  27. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

My wife also said she would keep my cars and that's fine. I talked some sense into her and she has instructions to call a local auction company. I see that as the best way to get the most money and quickly liquidate a lot of stuff.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  28. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'm leaving my Bantam to my dog Buddy. He's been there since the beginning. Maybe he'll get a dog house made out of it.

0301160901.jpg 0925160955e.jpg

29. This

30. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I'm 56, after going to another unexpected funeral, I was inspired to sit down and catalog all my valuable stuff in a notebook which I keep in my shop. I update this thing every January 1st, and make best guess estimates on values. My brother and 3 best friends all know about it, as well as my wife and kids. Also, I've been using a Shapie to identify all kinds of things a non car person may have trouble identifying, especially boxes. Saves me time too.

chiro, Just Gary, X-cpe and 6 others like this.