Register now to get rid of these ads!

What year is this ford truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by briggs&strattonChev, Jan 14, 2009.

1. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Hey, this was my great uncles truck. He farmed with it long ago and he gave it to me a few years ago, and last summer me and a couple friends pulled it over to the shop (as it was in a tree grove and although I have no immediate use for it, I didnt want it filled with bullet holes or have a tree fall on it).

I think it is a 41ish but I figured id post a pic to get an exact answer.
    If it helps, the motor thats in it is a 59 series 24 stud with a holley 94.

Thanks for any info.

Attached Files:

2. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

It is a 1942 thru 1947 and it is at least a one ton...

3. I like the grill guard.
    A 41 would have had the headlights on top of the fenders.

42-7 is still a cool truck.

17 inch wheel was 3/4-1ton, 20 inch was 1 1/2 ton and larger.

4. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

5. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

6. Ford built the same truck '42-'47. A couple ways to narrow it down a little. Up through '44 (Ford built a limited number of trucks through the war years) the engine was either the 85 HP that came out a few months into the '38 model run (will have 81T heads) or the 95 HP introduced in '39 Merc and '39 Ford big trucks (will have 99T heads), '45-'47 will have the 59AB. Of course the truck may or may not have its original engine. One thing unique to the '42s--the Ford script on the side of the hood is a separate emblem that fastens on, all the other years of this body style the Ford script on the side of the hood was stamped into the sheet metal. Only way to know the model year for sure is to run the serial number on the frame.

7. it is a 1942, '42 is the first of what we kiwi's call the 'jailbar' named after its grill bars. Yours has no ford script pressed into the hood sides ('42 is only year without it) the later ones (up to '47) all had the script in the rear of the hood sides below the swage line.

good luck with your project, I have one also. Have fitted jaguar ifs and irs and 327 chevy and th350.

8. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Are the 81t and 99t headed engines still 24 stud?

Im not positive that it said 59ab on the heads, I think it does but I could just be remembering that it has water necks in the center of the heads.

9. gas pumper

gas pumper

The one I learned to drive on was a 46/47. 1 1/2 ton short wheelbase just like yours. The only bad thing was the brakes, and the 40 mph top speed. It would go faster, but then it would get hot.

Always liked that truck.

Frank

10. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

this is called a short wheelbase?

11. Looks like a fun project... and that cow catcher might have even saved the typically smashed up grille.

12. If you can check the VIN that will tell you exactly what year it is and what weight class as well. it looks like a 1.5 ton

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

All the body parts are usable on a regular 42-47 pickup chassis BUT the wheel cutouts in the front fenders are larger than the standard pickup due to the large wheels of the 3/4-1 ton chassis.

14. jalopy45

jalopy45

If there is no "Ford " logo stamped in the hood on both sides near the cowl it's a '42, otherwise it could be a '44-47, Ford had farm quota trucks released in '44 and '45 as well as some gov't contractors could also get them. The war era trucks could be powered by a 4,6 or 8 cyl.

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think some of those trucks also had 4 inch stroke cranks like a Merc. Can't remember what year or series it was though.

16. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Never mind. I'm pretty sure that was f1's.

17. sunnyorm

sunnyorm

restore it to original... ow...ow.. oh no! there's a bunch of guys throwin a bunch of rusty stuff at me...

18. hershambob

hershambob

19. x2cracing@msn.com

[email protected]

one of our current projects is a 47 one ton ford PU. its in the body work stage now
    and will probably end up in some kinda hot rod form. the vin number is on the upper side of the frame on the drivers side about where the steering box is. that will give you all the info you need .